User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustBoy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he against Christine performing more then one song during the London shows? All of us would be ecstatic if she was allowed just a couple more songs, and closed the two shows with Songbird? What should be more important to them, a lousy review in a paper focusing on Christines performance, or thrilling thousands of fans with a rare treat, who by the way pay for their extravagant lifestyles and give them so much love?
It was very interesting that one of the biggest British newspapers only gave them 3/5 stars for the first night in London (most reviews on the tour up to this point were 4/5 at least that I remember), with something about "Where was Christine?" in the headlines. The reviewer echoed a feeling of many people at the show - yes this is pretty good, but where is the other band member that really makes this a 5 star group. So keeping Christine of the stage that night didn't really work. Although I think it was the Financial times that gave them 4 or 5 stars, saying the night belonged to Lindsey and his eloquent guitar. (sorry if I've got any details wrong, please feel free to correct me)
Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know maybe people shouldn't have been expecting Christine to play, as they has bought tickets for a 4 member Fleetwood mac group. But it was hard not to have expectations, when there was so much publicity prior to them playing in London, about Christine making an appearance.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyway, all this drama over Christine's performances has resulted in something good....hopefully she's coming back to do much more than play on one song
Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just want to make it clear before I set of another load of angry comments, that I don't blame Lindsey for Chris not playing that first London show. It did sound like Chris was willing to play, but it was a group decision that she didn't. I just don't think that playing 1 song at 2 shows, was the best decision for the fans, or the reviews.

I'm sorry if this has gone off topic a bit but I just thought I'd better clear that up.

Ok that's all I have to say on the matter
Old 11-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Until these last few months, Stevie had not been in touch with Christine either. They are not close friends. Since 1987 right after he left the band, Christine has never suggested that she has anything against Lindsey. And once the frustration over his leaving was over, she began talking about how much she missed him and wished they could work together again. She said she got goose bumps hearing his voice with hers and Stevie's again. They reunited in 1997 and since then she hasn't said anything negative or distancing about Lindsey. I get the feeling they argued in 2003 when SYW was being produced. That's why I think she made some cracks about guitar solos when she was promoting Meantime that were directed at him and she also said that Tusk was a weird album and I think that was kind of targeted at him but until Stevie and Christine recently got together, there was nothing to suggest that, from Christine's perspective, she was any closer to Stevie than Lindsey or any more estranged from Lindsey than Stevie.

Now, HIS comments might suggest otherwise, but Christine has never said anything of the sort, except right after he quit the band in 1987, not since then.

And you think this why? Because Stevie said it? Not everyone believes everything that Stevie says. Stevie wore her SYW clothes offstage (including the time she introduced Tom Petty) when neither FM or Lindsey was around. I have to assume she wore the granny sweater because SHE liked it. Maybe she did tone it down because Lindsey commented on it. But I don't assume she did because SHE says it and someone commenting on your attire does not make them a control freak who wants to dress you.

Stevie just said that she thought Prince wanted a romance with her. She has said it before, but she said it again recently and all of the news wires carried the story. But Stevie's opinion about Prince's feelings for her don't make them true.

Your comment that she never badmouths anyone unless they deserve it presumes that Lindsey deserved it all of the 1000s of times she badmouthed him and I just don't buy that. There are two sides to every story. You have every right to choose to believe Stevie's but not everyone has to.

Everyone considers themselves to be realistic. You don't have a commodity on that.

Michele

Listen, I really think louielouie2000 has a point that this thread is going in a totaly wrong direcion. Is there any point in turning every damn thread into a SN vs. LB deathmahch? Lady, I love Lindsey as I already said. I am a fan, undersand? If he was the subject of a bashing with no base in reality, I would most certanly defend him too. I am really sick of typing long poinltess posts about this subject. You seem to ignore the main point of my posts and act as if I was attacking Lindsey. I AM NOT! In case you missed it the first 3-4 times, I am going to type it once more in bold letters. I think Chris is joining the band for at least an album, and everibody is happy with that, and they are up for a project as soon as John gets better, and possibly after the four piece lineup do the Australian leg of the tour. But in case an unindentified band member has something against it hypoteticaly, the least possible people to do so are Stevie and Mick based on fifteen years of statements in the media about her leaving. Therefore, I dont undersand how come this whole discussion developed into Stevie being against it. Does presening her as a two faced egomaniac based on pure speculation make any other band member a better person or a better artist? And yeah, I do thik I am pretty realistic, at least to the point I dont believe my musical heroes fart rainbows, which even you must have noticed is not always the case with some people.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I am not a major fan of Christine's and yet I am thrilled beyond belief that she may be returning to the fold. My hope is that all five of them get down to business as soon as possible and commence work on an album (as a unit). I am not fussed about whether they tour or not and would actually be mightily pissed off if they went out on the road as a quintet before the recording of an album was undertaken.
Christine's recent compositions, whether written with a solo project in mind or not, will no doubt be re-fashioned by Lindsey and will be all the better for it. I was never fond of the In The Meantime album and believe the reason for this was the lacklustre production. Only recently have I discovered that some of those songs were half decent, but perhaps could have been transformed into something wonderful with a more inventive approach, the right rhythm section and those oh so unique vocal harmonies... Of course, many would say that the Say You Will album suffered in part due to the exclusion of Christine's presence. I must say I didn't miss her at the time of it's release, but upon reflection, believe certain songs could have benefited from her contributions (Illume comes to mind - a promising track just crying out for Chris's piano hooks and backing vocals).
The former stumbling block regarding a new album, Miss Nicks, will have to carefully consider her next move. If she has been writing for a solo album, will she hand over some of these, write specifically or dredge up some ancient demos? This is the perfect opportunity for the likes of The Dealer, China Doll, Mistaken Love and She Loves Him Still, amongst many others, to make their debut on record. Pull your finger out Madam!
As for Lindsey, well he must be torn because he wants this elusive album to come to fruition and yet perhaps does not wish to relinquish creative control as he no doubt will if Christine is on board. I imagine part of him relishes the chance to collaborate with her again after all this time, but it will come at a cost. As unfortunate as it may be, John's illness may just be the catalyst for all egos and differences to be put aside, once and for all. Trotters crossed...
PS How about "Fireflies" as a working title? Stevie's original composition could also make it's studio debut - now that would be something!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustBoy View Post
Listen, I really think louielouie2000 has a point that this thread is going in a totaly wrong direcion. Is there any point in turning every damn thread into a SN vs. LB deathmahch? Lady, I love Lindsey as I already said. I am a fan, undersand? If he was the subject of a bashing with no base in reality, I would most certanly defend him too. I am really sick of typing long poinltess posts about this subject. You seem to ignore the main point of my posts and act as if I was attacking Lindsey. I AM NOT! In case you missed it the first 3-4 times, I am going to type it once more in bold letters. I think Chris is joining the band for at least an album, and everibody is happy with that, and they are up for a project as soon as John gets better, and possibly after the four piece lineup do the Australian leg of the tour. But in case an unindentified band member has something against it hypoteticaly, the least possible people to do so are Stevie and Mick based on fifteen years of statements in the media about her leaving. Therefore, I dont undersand how come this whole discussion developed into Stevie being against it. Does presening her as a two faced egomaniac based on pure speculation make any other band member a better person or a better artist? And yeah, I do thik I am pretty realistic, at least to the point I dont believe my musical heroes fart rainbows, which even you must have noticed is not always the case with some people.
Actually, the whole discussion didn't develop or devolve into Stevie being against Christine rejoining the band. That's just the way you perceived it. The discussion was actually about whether the band member split changes for five members vs. four members was going to be workable. A comment about whether or not Stevie could deal with the split resulted in you claiming that Lindsey was a control freak who dresses Stevie on stage. Presenting Stevie as a two-faced egomaniac achieves no more and no less than presenting Lindsey as a demonic control freak does.

Michele
Old 11-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another thing - Christine attended the UK premiere of the In Your Dreams documentary with Stevie and Dave Stewart a couple of months ago. I wonder if this was the first time Christine and Dave had met and also whether Stevie had an ulterior motive for having them both accompany her? Never underestimate Madam when it comes to getting what she wants... Devious little minx!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
How about "Fireflies" as a working title? Stevie's original composition could also make it's studio debut - now that would be something!
I think that is a very inspired idea.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for Lindsey, well he must be torn because he wants this elusive album to come to fruition and yet perhaps does not wish to relinquish creative control as he no doubt will if Christine is on board.
I don't think he'd have any less control of the new album with Christine on board than he did on Tango. He'd just have fewer songs of his own. I don't think anyone is going to allow him another double album or 18-song album. So, there would probably just be 12 tracks and he would have 4, which might feel stifling for him. I think the space is more limiting for him with Christine than the creative control is, at least not on his and Christine's songs.

That brings us back to the question of whether or not they would still need an outside producer if Christine was there.

I have no doubt that Christine and Lindsey could work on their songs together, without a third party, but what about Stevie? The problem she had with Lindsey's production of her songs, probably would not be cured with Christine's return.

Would it be possible for someone of Stevie's choosing (not Mitchell Froom, certainly) to work on her songs or at least some of them, for an FM album? That's what Lindsey has to accept, I think. Let her do 3 songs under Dave's production and maybe just do one song with Lindsey (their Soldier's Angel for this album). I think that it would be hard for him to turn over those reins, but it may be a necessity to make this thing work happily for everyone.

Gotta say that I thought so much of Calumny and Northern Star that I hope that if Dan has written another nugget as good as those 2 were that Christine might hand it over for an FM recording.

Michele
Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep I'm in agreement concerning those two ITM songs; both lovely and restrained.
I also agree that Lindsey would have to sacrifice the number of tracks he has on the next Mac album, but I believe Christine contributes majorly to arrangement and production ideas. Whilst Lindsey may be appreciative of these contributions on one level, it will also intrude upon his vision and overall creative control (even if he enjoys the process and outcome).
It's possible Stevie might relax her attitude toward Lindsey producing her songs with Christine being present during the recording proceedings. Remember her recent inane comment about 'girl power' and all that nonsense.

Last edited by Phil; 11-24-2013 at 05:47 AM..
Old 11-24-2013, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Remember her recent inane comment about 'girl power' and all that nonsense.
hey, there ain't nothing wrong with a bit of girl power
Old 11-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

I really hope this is true.

I want an album first and the another tour. I have seen 4 concerts so far, but all without Christine, so this would be a real treat for me.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep I'm in agreement concerning those two ITM songs; both lovely and restrained.
I also agree that Lindsey would have to sacrifice the number of tracks he has on the next Mac album, but I believe Christine contributes majorly to arrangement and production ideas. Whilst Lindsey may be appreciative of these contributions on one level, it will also intrude upon his vision and overall creative control (even if he enjoys the process and outcome).
But except for SYW, it's not as if Lindsey has had any experience working without Christine in the studio within Fleetwood Mac and I don't even think SYW was a 100% exception. I have to believe that SYHA and BTLH were served to us yet again on SYW because of Christine's contributions and not just her voice on the chorus, because we can only hear her faintly there, but because those songs were kind of structured with her keyboard in mind, even for Lindsey's solo album and that's how they got on SYW, because of Christine. To me, because of Warner Bros. or whomever, he's always had to work with Christine, sometimes even when she wasn't there.

Now if he envisioned something closer to BN for the next go round, then yes I can see what you mean that his plans will have to change, because I don't think that will be happening with Christine's return. But who knows if it was ever going to happen anyway.

As for Christine's songs, when she says she's getting back to her seventies sound, I don't even know what that means. Does she mean that her new songs are somehow different than her Meantime songs were? Because aren't Friend and You Are trying for that same sound? In the audio clip it almost sounded as if she was saying she's returning to a form she had abandoned, but I don't know what distinction she was trying to make. Except for Time, since the seventies, when did her sound change to an extent that she thinks she has to revert?

Maybe that comment was code for: "My new songs have a place for harmonies, from voices other than my own. Good harmonies not whatever it was my nephew did to Bad Journey."

Michele
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
can you give a bit more details, i've never heard/read that and would love to? was that in 1993 or 1997? i would be surprised if he said in 1997, but i thought he was saying the opposite in 1993?
I don't have the tape, it was a friend that showed it to me so I can't watch it but I can say it was the '93 time frame.

John