User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
I have played a few of them over the years. It seems that the ones that I liked the sound of were heavy. Some models are lighter. There is no denying the sound of a good one. The one I bought was has a beautiful tone. It is a custom shop "custom" that I picked up with money my mom left me. the weight on my shoulder causes my fingers to go numb. So I play it in all kinds of inventive positions.

doodyhead
Do you think flipping the magnet in the neck pickup of a Les Paul is worth the trouble? For instance, if you bought B.B. King's Lucille model guitar, you can put the pup's out of phase by pulling out one of the volume knobs. If you can afford it, Jimmy Page's Les Paul reissue has a similar feature. Joe Perry's boneyard guitar apparently has the flipped magnet, and you can get it as an Epiphone model (along with BB's). The other day I heard a '62 stratocaster reissue that had such a mean tone, I couldn't believe it was a strat. With the five selector switch, you can again can put the pup's out of phase. I'm exploring ways one can get close to achieving Peter Green's signature tone without having to do the heavy lifting of taking a guitar apart (or spending $300 for custom pickups).
Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default pickups and sound

Early strats were not wired out of phase .what would happen is when you went between pickup positions on the switch, it would sound only two of the pickups. after leo fender they made the five position switch.

look in the archives on detailed discussion of phase reversal or go to Les paul forum. I had a less paul jr knock-off once and I put an old humbucker in the neck position backwards because it looked consistent having the pole screws the same for both. I inadvertantly wired it backwards as well and "eureka" a flakey funkey sound . When I was young I wanted to sound like BB King. I bought a used es 355 and I got his sound. I just couldn't play like him. But I did my best to try

Now a days I just try to feel what it is I am playing. Sometimes that is the best medicine of all.