User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Am I? I remember cringing when I heard him say it and thinking that would have been a fireable offense in any other band. And low and behold he got fired.

Azoff was also promoting a festival he was heavily invested in, and someone in the headline act publicly took a dump on it while tickets were still on sale. Do you think Lindsey made an ally with that comment?

And, while that remark alone likely wouldn’t be enough to get him fired from Fleetwood Mac, it certainly put him under the microscope. He very publicly expressed a lack of enthusiasm for the show, and their show was subsequently panned as being lifeless, void of chemistry and drama, like they were sleepwalking through the show. Sure, there was probably enough blame to spread all around the band for that, but the LBCM tour had been getting great reviews, especially for the chemistry between Lindsey and Christine, and there was only one member who publicly expressed a lack of enthusiasm about doing the show in the first place. It was like it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Then when they were negotiating, he requested a delay for a solo album, which he admittedly rescinded, but I think by that point things started snowballing. A concurrent tour was laughable. If he couldn’t bring the same level of enthusiasm he had for a new project back into the band for two major festival shows, how was a concurrent tour work?

The blowup over Rhiannon (or any of their songs) getting played prior to their grand entrance and the smirk (which I bet they all got an earful over) was just enough to set Stevie over the edge. Now, normally Azoff would be the Stevie whisperer, but Lindsey hadn’t exactly made himself an endearing figure by that point and possibly a liability in Azoff’s eyes. Since Lindsey didn’t sign off on the tour, it was just easier to replace one icon with another. Much like he did with the Eagles.
Yes I really think you are. I think you're probably one of few people who has seen it as that big of a deal. He made one little comment that I don't think many people even paid too much attention to, especially not the majority of the casual concertgoers. I highly doubt it put him under any microscopes. Everyone still showed up, the fans bought tickets, they made big bucks and so I'm sure Irv Azoff was content. And I'm absolutely positive that unless they'd ran around slandering the entire entity of Fleetwood Mac and the music industry itself, no one would have ever been fired from Fleetwood Mac had it not been for the big money maker threatening to walk.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Moral of the story is that they're better together than apart. Something we've all known for a very long time now.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I get what you're saying but the thing is, "Lindsey Buckingham" (as in solo) was NEVER a big name and was certainly never 1/16th as big of a name as "Fleetwood Mac". Fleetwood Mac as an opening act is a genuine embarrassment for them. Lindsey solo as an opening act isn't.
The flip side is that Lindsey was promoting a critically acclaimed solo album that for which he made videos and did a lot of TV promotion. Fleetwood Mac only had a song on an obscure World Cup soundtrack, and never did shows in support of Time.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The show got a terrible review in the L.A. Times, which is probably the most important review as far as they were concerned.
Where on EARTH do you GET that idea?!

Are you actually promulgating the notion that snarky comments and negative reviews impelled these bigwig lawyers and corporate heads to take this action?

Did they just not see or decide to ignore the praise lavished on the band in publications that have every bit of the cachet of the L.A. Times?

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...m-classic-west

https://variety.com/2017/music/news/...st-1202497817/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba.../#2b80f0ee356e

https://ew.com/music/2017/07/17/clas...wood-mac-more/

Steve, you have to let your strange notion go. It's barmy!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Yes I really think you are. I think you're probably one of few people who has seen it as that big of a deal.
I’m also one of the few people who here who has actual experience in the music industry.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
No! Unless partner votes himself/herself out. You'd have to prove him "unfit", for lack of a better word, to be a member of the partnership. A serious offense detrimental to the partnership's continuation. That's where it's going to get ugly.
Fleetwood Mac is owned by Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. All the others are technically contracted employees.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Fleetwood Mac is owned by Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. All the others are technically contracted employees.
They own the name, but it was an equal partnership. Stevie and Lindsey were made equal partners in 1976.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-12-2018, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=dreamsunwind;1240511]Yes I really think you are. I think you're probably one of few people who has seen it as that big of a deal. He made one little comment that I don't think many people even paid too much attention to, especially not the majority of the casual concertgoers. I highly doubt it put him under any microscopes. Everyone still showed up, the fans bought tickets, they made big bucks and so I'm sure Irv Azoff was content. And I'm absolutely positive that unless they'd ran around slandering the entire entity of Fleetwood Mac and the music industry itself, no one would have ever been fired from Fleetwood Mac had it not been for the big money maker threatening to walk.[/QUOTE

I think Azoff’s feeling about Lindsey do come into play, because Azhoff had to know Lindsey would eventually fight back if the band fired him. Especially if it meant breaking a contract. So it seems Azoff must be pretty confident the band did nothing wrong or else why chance it and why not get everyone to explain to Stevie the threat she faced if Lindsey sued and won? All will come out in court.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m also one of the few people who here who has actual experience in the music industry.
I may be the minority but I think your point is somewhat valid. While I find it impossible that Azoff would want Lindsey fired specifically for one snarky comment, I do agree that LB’s reaction to the festival could have come into play even if it’s just in a small way. If Lindsey was willing to air his grievances with the entire public that night, I would imagine he had already shared that same sentiment with Azoff & the rest of the band beforehand when it was first being presented to them. I could see his recent complaints and attitude causing Azoff not to fight that hard for him to stay. It’s definitely not why he was booted out of the band, but it probably made picking a side an even easier decision for Azoff.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Where on EARTH do you GET that idea?!

Are you actually promulgating the notion that snarky comments and negative reviews impelled these bigwig lawyers and corporate heads to take this action?

Did they just not see or decide to ignore the praise lavished on the band in publications that have every bit of the cachet of the L.A. Times?
I think they went with the article that validated their own opinions of the show. Plus, the Times reviewer actually contrasted his opinion of CW to the OWTS concert he saw. It was arguably more nuanced than the others.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was in a band for years and am now a movie trailer editor. I deal with music and mx clearing all the time. All I have to do is ask for instrumentals or stems and I can get them. So there are probably more then a few. I've been trying to get FM in one of my pieces for years but it never seems to work out. If Lindsey's "don't look down" isn't good for Angry Birds 2 I don't know what is!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I was in a band for years and am now a movie trailer editor. I deal with music and mx clearing all the time. All I have to do is ask for instrumentals or stems and I can get them. So there are probably more then a few. I've been trying to get FM in one of my pieces for years but it never seems to work out. If Lindsey's "don't look down" isn't good for Angry Birds 2 I don't know what is!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Awesome job
Old 10-13-2018, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
And this guy up /\ there is in the mx business.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Awesome job
Well I haven't got them in yet so... But anyway, I'm now only going to try and get LB's stuff in.
BTW,do you want to know the most money a song put in one of my trailers made? 650,000 paid, to a very famous band for use in all the movie marketing. Guess who picked the song? ME! Guess how much extra money I got for getting them that money????? NONE!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And this guy up /\ there is in the mx business.
I've been in the music bidness for 28 years. Paid all my bills and multiple properties off with the music bidness monies. Spend my life at 49 doing as little as possible, thanks to the music bidness. Imma needs me an award or something.