Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bob Welch

I was just wondering about why Bob's name isnt on the wall at the hall of fame with the rest of the band. I know that they didn't have any huge hits with Bob there, but I can't believe he's not on the wall!!!!! I firmly believe that if he hadnt been there to bridge the gap between Peter Green and Stevie/Lindsey, there would be not Rumours or any of the other albums. Does anyone agree with me?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This has been a VERY SORE subject around here since 1998.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
This has been a VERY SORE subject around here since 1998.
Indeed it has. I'm still sore about it. He certainly belonged in the RRHOF. He saved FM's *ss and also made some terrific music.

-Lis
Old 06-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's wrong that Bob wasn't included. I understand the reasoning, but it's still wrong
Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
It's wrong that Bob wasn't included. I understand the reasoning, but it's still wrong

I DON'T understand the reasoning...it was an "unreasonable act" to omit Bob from induction.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I DON'T understand the reasoning...it was an "unreasonable act" to omit Bob from induction.
I agree. There's no legitimate reason why Bob isn't in the Hall of Fame, other than that lawsuit. And, that's not a legitmate reason, in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Barring any conspiracy from Mick to omit Bob from this honour, I understood it to be because the band had zero hits while Bob was a member. If that's the reasoning, I understand it. I don't agree with it, because hits aren't an indication of quality nor contribution made by a member.

I have problems with this kind of institution anyway because it's so subjective. That's why maybe we shouldn't take these people so seriously. If they decide someone's better than someone else and cut a guy out of a fairly pointless honour for a fairly pointless reason, then that's just their opinion and nothing more. The downside is that it's a very public snub which isn't nice.

As for the old line-up being the Peter Green show, well OK but only up to a point. You could just as easily say the current line-up is the Stevie Nicks show. It amounts to much the same thing.

The other thing I'm wondering is how much overseas sales influence the decision on who gets in to the RnRHoF and who doesn't. Obviously the Green-era line-up were tremendously successful in the UK, far more so than any other line-up bar the Rumours band - maybe this was why Jeremy and Danny got in and Billy, Rick etc didn't. Jeremy didn't feel it to be very important anyway since he didn't show up, and I'm sure Danny couldn't have been less interested.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I was just wondering about why Bob's name isnt on the wall at the hall of fame with the rest of the band. I know that they didn't have any huge hits with Bob there, but I can't believe he's not on the wall!!!!! I firmly believe that if he hadnt been there to bridge the gap between Peter Green and Stevie/Lindsey, there would be not Rumours or any of the other albums. Does anyone agree with me?
I totally agree with you!

He should be up there and it's ridiculous that he's not.