Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Keeping Secrets

I thought this Chris comment from an interview that GOS posted above was amusing:

Quote:
"We never wanted Christine to leave," Nicks says. "We wanted Christine to change her mind. But what happened was, Christine had been keeping big secrets from us all the many years. She was afraid to fly. Because she's such a tough old bird, she never let us know. And she was having panic attacks about it. She was really having a hard time with the traveling, and they say when people get older, you get more claustrophobic and more sensitive, and I think you really do. And so it hit Chris, and she was like, 'I don't want to do it anymore.' And it's not that she didn't want to come on stage, not that she didn't want to do music anymore. She just didn't want to tour."
Aside from not wanting to tour, I don't think Christine wanted to be on stage anymore either. I don't give up hope that she'd do a one off some day, but I don't think there'd ever be more than that. Even if she could do performances that are local to her and not travel, I don't think she would be interested.

Michele
Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She could have done a few intimate solo shows, within driving distance of her home, to promote 'In the Meantime,' but she didn't.

I think we won't see Christine on stage again. (Boo hoo hoo.)

But then again, nobody expected 'In the Meantime' and she surprised us with a truly great album.

So ... never say never.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She is old now. But I don't think she had all those fears in the 70s. Not that strong at least. I think his husband (John) should realize if that was true. Fears grow when you get older. My aunt used to travel alone. Since she was in her late 60s, she was afraid of airports where nobody speaks spanish, something she never was afraid of before. So i think it's true except for the "keeping big secrets from us all the many years"
Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
She could have done a few intimate solo shows, within driving distance of her home, to promote 'In the Meantime,' but she didn't.

I think we won't see Christine on stage again. (Boo hoo hoo.)

But then again, nobody expected 'In the Meantime' and she surprised us with a truly great album.

So ... never say never.
If the band ever did a one-off career retrospective show in London with Peter, Jeremy, the Bobs, Stevie, Lindsey, Billy, and Rick (maybe Bekka), then I firmly believe that she'd take an active part in that. Just looking at all of those ITM videos, and seeing the pictures of Mick and John on the walls, I think it's obvious that the band is still very much a part of her life.

But, I doubt that a show like that will ever happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
She is old now. But I don't think she had all those fears in the 70s. Not that strong at least. I think her husband (John) should realize if that was true. Fears grow when you get older. My aunt used to travel alone. Since she was in her late 60s, she was afraid of airports where nobody speaks spanish, something she never was afraid of before. So i think it's true except for the "keeping big secrets from us all the many years"
I don't think John was that attentive, but they may not have been as bad in the '70s either. It's amazing how not scared you can get when self-medicating.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Here are two audio questions and answers from Lindsey and Stevie from this interview - it was over the phone:

DOWNLOAD
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
She is old now. But I don't think she had all those fears in the 70s. Not that strong at least. I think his husband (John) should realize if that was true. Fears grow when you get older. My aunt used to travel alone. Since she was in her late 60s, she was afraid of airports where nobody speaks spanish, something she never was afraid of before. So i think it's true except for the "keeping big secrets from us all the many years"
I'm sure the alcohol and what ever else helped with any anxiety
Old 02-28-2009, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She clearly doesn't enjoy flying but she managed to fly to the US to promote ITM so it can't be that bad that it actually stops her.

Also I've seen quotes where she said she doesn't like sleeping in a different bed each night. That combined with a fear of flying would make touring a nightmare.

I think she's content with her life now. she make some music if she feels like it but there's no pressure to make an album. She clearly doesn't need the money (although I bet she's worth less now than she used to be) and clearly doesn't feel the need to be "unleashed" anymore.

Gail
Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This doesn't really surprise me. She sort of hinted about this in that "Return of the Native" ITM interview a few years back. I also think she had a problem with stage fright too, plus the insomnia problem on the road and her fear of earthquakes. I think she probably always had these problems but age made them worse and alcohol helped. Now she no longer drinks. It's no wonder she wanted to move back home to England and a much more quiet, normal life.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think you're right about the alcohol helping in the early days, but I suspect also that age simply brought on a "I don't have to do it anymore, so why should I?" attitude. Because, as Stevie says, she's a tough old bird she didn't let any of it get to her until the 90s when, frankly, she was going through another divorce, her dad had died suddenly and there was a pretty horrendous earthquake.

This applies to performing on stage, to flying, to living in hotels, to giving interviews etc etc. The only thing she would ever do now is record another album herself, on a small scale like ITM. If she does, I'll be delighted.

I was reading about her presence at Mick's recent concert in Canterbury. Even then she was hidden at the back whilst the band played, and they didn't even mention her by name on stage when dedicating a song to her (at her insistence). She just doesn't want to be recognised anymore, I think, and that's a huge part of it too.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I think you're right about the alcohol helping in the early days, but I suspect also that age simply brought on a "I don't have to do it anymore, so why should I?" attitude. Because, as Stevie says, she's a tough old bird she didn't let any of it get to her until the 90s when, frankly, she was going through another divorce, her dad had died suddenly and there was a pretty horrendous earthquake.
Which reminds me how silly it was for Mick & John (both of whom have said they were afraid of earthquakes in California) to move to Hawaii --- the second-most seismically active state in the country (behind Alaska)!

The first big island quake, & those two may be back in Los Angeles.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Which reminds me how silly it was for Mick & John (both of whom have said they were afraid of earthquakes in California) to move to Hawaii --- the second-most seismically active state in the country (behind Alaska)!

The first big island quake, & those two may be back in Los Angeles.
Good point!

Strangely there was an earthquake in Kent about two or three years ago! It was small compared to those in California but it was the only place in England that it happened and knocked a few chimney pots down. I am sure Christine didn't bat an eyelid.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is Stevie forgetting that Chris originally wanted to retire in like, 1970? I don't think she has ever liked touring.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's true: Christine had been calling it quits for decades before she called it quits. But at the height of the band's fame (1976-1980) I'm sure the lure of big money, all the cocaine, the private jets, and all the distractions helped mitigate the drag of touring.

In his book, Mick talks about how the band by 1978 hated touring for Rumors. I imagine Christine was the most vocal about that.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gail,

When someone posts their performance of SYLM, I want you to listen to Stevie's lyrics, because you made me laugh so much about Don't Stop.

I don't even have any idea what Stevie said. I just know I opened my mouth to sing along and then found I wasn't hearing anything familiar. There was nothing to grasp onto. But then, Lindsey did the second verse which turned out all right, except he thinks he has to act out the words which -- unless you're going for comedy -- is not necessary. But the chorus was good and rousing to me. And there's not another living soul around.

Michele
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Gail,

When someone posts their performance of SYLM, I want you to listen to Stevie's lyrics, because you made me laugh so much about Don't Stop.

I don't even have any idea what Stevie said. I just know I opened my mouth to sing along and then found I wasn't hearing anything familiar. There was nothing to grasp onto. But then, Lindsey did the second verse which turned out all right, except he thinks he has to act out the words which -- unless you're going for comedy -- is not necessary. But the chorus was good and rousing to me. And there's not another living soul around.

Michele
Oh my God she didn't do the equivalent of "why not think about the things that you've done and not about the things that you've done" did she?

Or even better on the last night the (in)famous !"^)(*^%$jtinfprt3smb<>?@:

Thanks for the heads up - I'll look out for it

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 03-03-2009 at 02:43 PM..