The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Is Lindsey Buckingham Cool ??
Yeah !! 35 79.55%
Nah !! 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBuck View Post
I'm a posting newbie (though lurking for a few months here) and completely agree with Christine. Being 19 myself, most people I know don't quite get how awesome Lindsey is, regardless of his age. I've seen some fantastic live acts (U2, Springsteen) and Lindsey's two shows I saw (St. Louis, Summerfest) were vindication for his coolness level.
I agree with you about the concert thing! Ive been to four concerts in my short life time [the first two i choose not to disclose ], Maroon 5, and Lindsey, the first two dont play instruments, so thats lame, an M5 was really good, but I dont think that even the 5 26-29 year olds could even compete with Lindsey on showmanship or musical ability. overall LB put on a much better show.

Welcome to the Ledge LBuck

yay for more young FM fans!!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ask anyone on the street who Lindsey Buckingham is. I bet you only a handful could tell you he was even in Fleetwood Mac. So therefore, he isn't "cool" even though he probably is a cool guy. I dunno tho, I never met him.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That's like asking if the sun is hot or if shoes are made for feet. Uh, YAH he's cool, it's a given... 8D
Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472 View Post
Ask anyone on the street who Lindsey Buckingham is. I bet you only a handful could tell you he was even in Fleetwood Mac. So therefore, he isn't "cool" even though he probably is a cool guy. I dunno tho, I never met him.
Is a nerd not nerdy if most people don't know he's nerdy? It seems that Lindsey's coolness is an inherent quality not dependent on whether other people know it or not.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBuck View Post
Is a nerd not nerdy if most people don't know he's nerdy? It seems that Lindsey's coolness is an inherent quality not dependent on whether other people know it or not.
I have to disagree. "Coolness" and "nerdiness" are COMPLETELY dependent on other people's perceptions. Whereas in your world, Lindsey comes off as cool, in other's he comes of as eccentric. Eccentric meaning a calculating douche who's trying to become viewed as Joni Mitchell with a penis, is using psychobabble ad naseum to seem like more of an enlightened intellectual than he might actually be, and is trying to play the artsy card by excessive periods between albums with the excuse of attention to detail (is there anybody who can hear any major difference between the "Steal Your Heart Away" that was released on that Best Buy sampler in 1997 and the one on SYW in 2003, aside from Stevie's vocals??), all in a bad attempt to make us forget he's the guy who wrote "Go Your Own Way" (which, he's played every show since its release). Okay, so the guy's nowhere near as big a douche as, say, Glen Frey, he's similarly nowhere as cool or artsy as guys like Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) or Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices) who actually refused to compromise their artistic vision even if it meant that they didn't sell a billion albums.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Lindsey is the epitome of "cool," most people just don't realize it.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Frankly my dears this poll is a bit nonsense.. It's a fan site so the result is obvious. Of course I think he's cool! It's like asking Do you like Fleetwood Mac?? ..in the Rumours forum
Old 07-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I have to disagree. "Coolness" and "nerdiness" are COMPLETELY dependent on other people's perceptions. Whereas in your world, Lindsey comes off as cool, in other's he comes of as eccentric. Eccentric meaning a calculating douche who's trying to become viewed as Joni Mitchell with a penis, is using psychobabble ad naseum to seem like more of an enlightened intellectual than he might actually be, and is trying to play the artsy card by excessive periods between albums with the excuse of attention to detail (is there anybody who can hear any major difference between the "Steal Your Heart Away" that was released on that Best Buy sampler in 1997 and the one on SYW in 2003, aside from Stevie's vocals??), all in a bad attempt to make us forget he's the guy who wrote "Go Your Own Way" (which, he's played every show since its release). Okay, so the guy's nowhere near as big a douche as, say, Glen Frey, he's similarly nowhere as cool or artsy as guys like Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) or Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices) who actually refused to compromise their artistic vision even if it meant that they didn't sell a billion albums.

He'll never ever be even close to Joni Mitchell. You think she'd roll her solo work into a Fleetwood Mac album... Wayne Shorter would hit Lindsey over the head with his soprano sax... I read once where she sold her paintings to finance her albums because she told Geffen's suits to stick it...

Is he a unique guitarist.... absolutely Is he cool? based on his actions since Tango... a resounding no
Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He isn't cool in the definition, as accepted in "rock" music.

Cool to me is leading a fashion or an image, whatever you want to call it. Lindsey's playing is a little too neat to be considered cool. He is getting better, but to me "cool" and "hip" mean playing the same song differently every single time and not being afraid to f**k it up every now and again. Admittedly its difficult with the Travis picked songs but Lindsey has his comfort zone and likes to stay within it live, after its been perfected in the rehearsal studios of course.

But he has changed arrangements and been a little more out of his normal territory on this tour so kudos for that. Throwing in stuff like Bwana etc has been great after so many FM tours with the same songs in the same order night after night after night... He is still not chilling the room when he breathes but he is a little cooler than he was. I'm assuming he is smoking the herbal stuff again 'cos he seems to have loosened up a bit in interviews too.

The Stones are cool, despite everything. OK, they can't play as well anymore, but they are gigging when they should be retired which is somewhat cool and they change the songs every night. The last couple of tours they have had 400 songs rehearsed and ready to throw in. And they are not afraid to "blag it" as we say here, and just play on with mistakes. That is pretty cool to me...

Fashion wise, Lindsey wears a leather jacket that went out of style 10 years back and he needs to get a t-shirt that fits properly, otherwise he looks pretty cool for his years.

Last edited by madformac; 07-07-2007 at 12:16 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My Friend Sean: "Hes the guy that sings that song in National Lampoon Family Vacation....hes Awesome."
Old 07-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
In terms of Style, Rock Star Status, Attitude towards fans, His Guitar Style etc etc etc.
of course but in an understated, not in your face kind of way
Old 07-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Thanks man this made my day!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally, I don't care about coolness. So I didn't vote. But he's a wonderfully skilled musician, arranger, writer and producer. And if that isn't enough for some people to label him "cool" because of the style of music he makes, well, I can't help them.