The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For SYLM, rather than having mercy on a girl, it was more along the lines of requesting pity for a fool. So, I wasn't sure if it was going to be a song by Christine or one by Mr. T.

Michele
Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
For SYLM, rather than having mercy on a girl, it was more along the lines of requesting pity for a fool. So, I wasn't sure if it was going to be a song by Christine or one by Mr. T.

Michele

classic
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele

Maybe she's going to meet Stevie's friend - pain

Gail
Old 03-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All of this stuff Stevie is now saying about "keeping secrets" from her and the rest of the band have confirmed to me, 100%, that 'Fall from Grace' is about Christine. I know we once dissected the lyrics of that song over on the old official website, but it seems to fit now.

All of the stuff fits, for example: "I didn't ask when you shook your head / I always accepted what you said as the truth" ,combined with the 'Say You Love Me' reference, and the "You said you wouldn't do this for very long" / "I came all the way here just to watch you walk out that door".

So, I suppose, having seen Stevie's recent soundstage where she performs that song, and says it's one of the meanest she's ever written, I am betting she was not feeling a whole lot of love for Chris round about late 97... Not in the sense that she hated her, but that she was disappointed, betrayed perhaps, because her 'best girlfriend' had been keeping such important things from her, and then - rather suddenly - upped and left her life in the band forever.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
All of this stuff Stevie is now saying about "keeping secrets" from her and the rest of the band have confirmed to me, 100%, that 'Fall from Grace' is about Christine.
I don't think it's about Christine, except the "keeper of the peace" part. I'd say that Sweet Girl had more of Christine in it than FFG.

I do agree that they felt a little hurt about Christine though. Hurt when she left but then hurt again when a 6 year separation wasn't enough to make her want to return. When she left, I think they were sure that a prolonged separation would make her change her mind.

Michele
Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think it's about Christine, except the "keeper of the peace" part. I'd say that Sweet Girl had more of Christine in it than FFG.

I do agree that they felt a little hurt about Christine though. Hurt when she left but then hurt again when a 6 year separation wasn't enough to make her want to return. When she left, I think they were sure that a prolonged separation would make her change her mind.

Michele
I don't know. Those lyrics have always seemed to me, in one way or another, to apply to Christine a lot more than the other 3 whom Stevie could be writing about. I always thought that the lyric "The applause from it all is so defining" was referring to Chris' feelings about being on stage, added to the stuff I've described above. The SYLM reference is, I think, intentional.

I take your point about Sweet Girl, although I think Stevie realised post-song that it applied to Chris, and once couldn't finish the song on stage as she was so overwhelmed by emotion (I remember from an interview her saying so).