Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac Record Plant 12:15:74 KSAN Live Broadcast

Listening to this with a little beer buzz on. Stumbled across this on YT and wanted to share. This **** never gets old!

Old 10-04-2015, 04:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

...and soon he would be gone. What would have happened if he'd stuck around? You get the feeling they were getting somewhere. Heroes was the first album to crack the US top 40. A bit more promotion of Heroes, another album and ....who knows?

I'd say they had far too few McVie songs in their setlist at that time. Only Prove Your Love was an additional regular McVie song for that tour. I reckon they could have worked Come a Little Bit Closer into an epic live version. 'Why' is a bit disappointing for me. Bob's playing wasn't enough to elevate it to its potential level.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By chance, I was listening to this the other day as well. It's great that this recording was made, as there's not enough good quality live stuff from this period (at least that I've found).

I've got to agree that it was Bob that appears to be driving the band in this recording, I guess he kind of dominates due to the Peter Green songs that only he could really do. He doesn't sound like a guy on the verge of quitting the band, although his Bermuda Triangle obsession does grate on me slightly! There's a point where Chris seems to tease with the intro of Come a Little Bit Closer before launching into Believe Me isn't there? Shame, as it would have been good to have had one of Chris's Heroes songs on tape.

It's good that we have some aural record of Bobby Hunt's keyboards as he was a quasi-member of the band at that point. I think I can tell his parts apart from Christine's. How would it be fair to describe his style .. a bit more intricate, showy, even?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Come a Little Bit Closer- I'm not getting it on Believe Me- but I think it's tagged onto the start of Why.

It's actually quite sad they were still playing so much of the Green-era material by that stage. I can understand why they did it- especially as they were still trying to regain their name/image. By that time though they'd moved so much away from their blues roots it would have been better for the band to have moved on by a greater extent and tried to etablish more of a new identity. Even if they were going to play so much of that stuff I think it would have been more interesting and more of a statement if Christine had handled more of the vocals. Perhaps not I Loved Another Woman but Green Manalishi would have been interesting.

Regarding Heroes Are Hard To Find- I'm a big believer in playing the title song of an album during a tour. If they thought so highly of the song to have named the album after it then it would have made sense from a marketing perspective to have played it in the live set. I'm sure they could have found some workable arrangement.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
It's good that we have some aural record of Bobby Hunt's keyboards as he was a quasi-member of the band at that point.
I wonder how they left things after this performance. I understand Doug Graves thought he was 'in' the band at one point. I'm guessing Bobby Hunt was always aware he was just filling in until the end of the tour. Otherwise- was he left hanging into the new year? Or was there an offical 'thanks for your help, good luck for the future'?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Come a Little Bit Closer- I'm not getting it on Believe Me- but I think it's tagged onto the start of Why.
Yes, you're right. My memory's at fault.

Regarding title tracks, maybe you have a point, but they haven't really all been played live as far as I can tell- no Bare Trees, Heroes are hard to find, Tango in the Night or Behind the Mask. Whereas Future Games, Tusk and Say you will have been.

I can't imagine Christine doing a Peter Green song but would have liked to have heard her try! I could see Stevie taking the lead on Green Manalishi, though, rather than just wailing inchoately at the end of it back in 1975.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, you're right. My memory's at fault.

Regarding title tracks, maybe you have a point, but they haven't really all been played live as far as I can tell- no Bare Trees, Heroes are hard to find, Tango in the Night or Behind the Mask. Whereas Future Games, Tusk and Say you will have been.

I can't imagine Christine doing a Peter Green song but would have liked to have heard her try! I could see Stevie taking the lead on Green Manalishi, though, rather than just wailing inchoately at the end of it back in 1975.
I think Bare Trees could have been good live. Perhaps they may have played it had Danny not been fired.
I'm sure if Lindsey had done the tour when Tango came out there would have been a good chance they would have played the title song. There's no way Rick/Billy would have played it as they avoided Lindsey material as much as possible.
They could have played Behind the Mask but I suppose they wanted Christine to play as many of her recognisable hits as possible in Lindsey's absence.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'd say they had far too few McVie songs in their setlist at that time. Only Prove Your Love was an additional regular McVie song for that tour. I reckon they could have worked Come a Little Bit Closer into an epic live version. 'Why' is a bit disappointing for me. Bob's playing wasn't enough to elevate it to its potential level.
An interesting point of fact: the band did play "Bad Loser," which is captured on a bootleg so rough it's hard to fully hear. "Night Watch" preceded it. I'm not sure how routine this inclusion was in their show, but from what I can hear, the band was really cooking during it. Mick's drums kick the song into high gear, and Christine's vocals are flawless.

I did not know "Prove Your Love" was played. I would love to hear this!

I'm not a guitarist so maybe my opinion is worth crap, but I actually love Bob's playing on "Why." It's clean, melodic, and very commercial. His playing on "Believe Me" really cooks, too.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Bare Trees could have been good live. Perhaps they may have played it had Danny not been fired.
One of my friends who is a bit older than I was in a guitarist in a reasonably well-known upstate NY band in the early 70s. Apparently, the band leader (I think their singer) insisted on including "Bare Trees" in their set because that song "got people dancing." A groove tune. They played a lot at parties, proms, pubs, that sort of thing. Could you imagine going to your prom and boogying down to "Bare Trees"? How fun!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
An interesting point of fact: the band did play "Bad Loser," which is captured on a bootleg so rough it's hard to fully hear. "Night Watch" preceded it. I'm not sure how routine this inclusion was in their show, but from what I can hear, the band was really cooking during it. Mick's drums kick the song into high gear, and Christine's vocals are flawless.

I did not know "Prove Your Love" was played. I would love to hear this!
No, you're right- it was Bad Loser I should have referred to as the other Christine song on the tour. I think it was a regular in the set. Makes sense as it fits in with all Bobs material.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's good that we have some aural record of Bobby Hunt's keyboards as he was a quasi-member of the band at that point. I think I can tell his parts apart from Christine's. How would it be fair to describe his style .. a bit more intricate, showy, even?
It should be easy to tell Bobby Hunt (and even Doug Graves) from Christine McVie. Bobby (& Doug) played organ & synthesisers, Christine played only acoustic & electric pianos on that tour.

Quote:
At some shows from '72-74, and also even at some early shows in '75, the band with Christine on lead vocals did Duster Bennett's "Jumping At Shadows" which was one of Peter Green's great covers back in the early days of Fleetwood Mac.

The sound quality isn't all that great (but better than most from that era) and the tapers won't shut up during the set, but the 1974 Shrine Auditorium show is worth searching for. It's the entire set and they go places that they didn't normally go to very often in those days.

Last edited by chiliD; 10-05-2015 at 05:42 PM..
Old 10-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

At some shows from '72-74, and also even at some early shows in '75, the band with Christine on lead vocals did Duster Bennett's "Jumping At Shadows" which was one of Peter Green's great covers back in the early days of Fleetwood Mac.

The sound quality isn't all that great (but better than most from that era) and the tapers won't shut up during the set, but the 1974 Shrine Auditorium show is worth searching for. It's the entire set and they go places that they didn't normally go to very often in those days.
Thanks ChiliD, in the back of my mind I knew you would be the man to come back with some info re this. Will definitely look out for those. Christine doing Jumping at Shadows would work (and probably better than Lindsey's take on it, which I have heard somewhere). So she never covered a Peter Green original, then?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine's Jumping at Shadows

I found Christine's performance of Jumping at Shadows (helpfully illustrated by a picture of Stevie, but no matter) and very enjoyable it was too. You can really hear how her work with Chicken Shack and the earlier Mac informed some of her later stuff. You can hear the blues in Oh Daddy and Brown Eyes, not in an in-your-face way, but they're there, somehow. And it's not that much of a hop from Get like you used to be to Don't Stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXfhXF9vDU
Old 10-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I found Christine's performance of Jumping at Shadows (helpfully illustrated by a picture of Stevie, but no matter) and very enjoyable it was too. You can really hear how her work with Chicken Shack and the earlier Mac informed some of her later stuff. You can hear the blues in Oh Daddy and Brown Eyes, not in an in-your-face way, but they're there, somehow. And it's not that much of a hop from Get like you used to be to Don't Stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXfhXF9vDU
As Mick once said of "Don't Stop": "Chris could have topped that track ten years before she wrote it. The difference now was there was all this cream on top and we were running with it." Mixed metaphors aside, Mick has a point--the song is clearly from the pen of the woman who wrote those early Chicken Shack songs. "Prove Your Love," "Warm Ways," and YMLF all seem more sophisticated but you can still hear aspects of the old four-bar blues in even her least bluesy material. Her affinity for the blues is what Lindsey once said separated FM from other California bands. It made the difference. Of course, Mick and John didn't hurt either