The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the first single, In My World?
I love it! 14 13.86%
I like it! 39 38.61%
It's ok. 24 23.76%
It sucks. There better be better songs than this on the album. 12 11.88%
It's a strong, creative first single. 3 2.97%
Production is too thin. Needs to be more lush. 5 4.95%
Production is perfect, song is weak. 4 3.96%
Makes me want to buy the album. 3 2.97%
Want a Christine song to be first single. 11 10.89%
I'm devastated. High hopes are dashed. Make me want to slit my wrist 3 2.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2017, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I think I figured it out. Once they realized that Stevie wasn't going to participate, they decided to quit spending money on the project. So, they decided to go with what they had and not put extra money into extra production to perfect the songs.

Without Stevie, it cost each member more money to make the record and without her on the album it's not going to sell as well. So they just went with what they had.

The cover and and cd package suggest this is true too.
I'm sure most of the production would have been done by Lindsey at home. I'm not sure additional production will have cost anything. Anyway, they had studio time as recently as late last year. I don't think money is an issue- especially regarding the cover. The cover is just lazy and sloppy. It need not cost much to create a credible cover.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2017, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I'm sure most of the production would have been done by Lindsey at home. I'm not sure additional production will have cost anything. Anyway, they had studio time as recently as late last year. I don't think money is an issue- especially regarding the cover. The cover is just lazy and sloppy. It need not cost much to create a credible cover.
I think you're wrong. Stevie was complaining about how much it costs to make an album. Without her, going to be even more expensive for each member.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you're wrong. Stevie was complaining about how much it costs to make an album. Without her, going to be even more expensive for each member.
Say You Will has one sexy album cover. And it can't have cost much to make.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Say You Will has one sexy album cover. And it can't have cost much to make.
Well it looks like they may have not spent any money on a photographer for this release.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, I think you are right but also wrong. Its the studio time that's expensive- I wouldn't dispute that. Some of the recording took place at The Village but some of the work took place at Lindsey's house and Mitchell Froom's house. Once the basic tracks are recorded Lindsey is able to play around with them as much as he likes in his own time at home. That isn't going to cost anything as everything is already set up. If at any time he wants to layer in additional parts he has the means to do that. The record was also mixed by Lindsey himself. When they made Rumours and Tusk they spent years in the studio. They probably didn't even need to record at The Village on this occasion- it was probably done for old times sake as much as anything else.

It's more expensive for somebody like Stevie to make a record as she has to rely on other people to produce, engineer, mix etc. She has to hire in the other players. Lindsey is a multi instrumentalist and doesn't need to bring other people in.

It would be interesting to know how much Mick & John get as a cut now the record isn't officially a Fleetwood Mac release. I don't think they'd normally get a significant amount from album sales anyway- I think they'll get an even smaller amount from this release- possibly even an up front salary as session players. I don't know how that would work.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-16-2017, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It would be interesting to know how much Mick & John get as a cut now the record isn't officially a Fleetwood Mac release. I don't think they'd normally get a significant amount from album sales anyway- I think they'll get an even smaller amount from this release- possibly even an up front salary as session players. I don't know how that would work.
I figure they got the same pay as they always did, since it was recorded as a FM album.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still don't know how I feel about this song.

Even though, there is a new single out, I have been listening to the extended version of You and I all day. Just discovered it and Instantly loved the new intro because of the lushness. I thought about it and there is lushness to GYPSY, DREAMS, YOU MAKE LOVING FUN...

Then there is this song, In My World, which has all the makings of great song, the cowbell, the grunts, the melody but it isn't lush. I like it but I have to force myself to love it by listening to it 100 times. Because of the way it's produced I can barely understand the word, let alone sing along with it.

I think about Sentimental Lady. Look what Lindsey did to that song. He turned that song into a lush, lovable hit that people played over and over again. The Fleetwood Mac version was just a shadow of what he turned it into.

This song is in the same boat. The greatness is there, but the paint strokes on the canvas aren't strong enough. I have to force myself to notice all the great things about it. It seems like a very good demo for what could be great song. It still seems like a minimalist Lindsey Buckingham solo song.

Somebody please remix or reproduce this song so that the potential is realized. It really is a good song, but not fully realized.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well part of what is hard to accept is that having mastered pop, Lindsey Buckingham in the 21st century is, now, a Brechtian artist. No wonder Stevie can't work with him and thinks he ruins her work when really he expands its lexicon is all. Even I don't know how I feel about Buck's Brechtian technique but that's part of the point. Just a thought as we mull over this three penny opera.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Well part of what is hard to accept is that having mastered pop, Lindsey Buckingham in the 21st century is, now, a Brechtian artist. No wonder Stevie can't work with him and thinks he ruins her work when really he expands its lexicon is all. Even I don't know how I feel about Buck's Brechtian technique but that's part of the point. Just a thought as we mull over this three penny opera.
Great post!

This is very true of the current situation, and please tell me if i've misread the feel of the board, it appears that unless IMW lives up to whatever expectation you have in your head it's not good enough. Lindsey has clearly been expanding what the term "pop" means for years, look at what he did on Under The Skin, my god, the complaints about Show Us How when that single came out was immense. Not to mention TUSK!

There appears to be two camps with IMW that i think stem from the This is 40 tracks, you either love those songs or you hate them, those that like them tend to be digging IMW (i'm in that camp).

I don't think Lindsey's really bothered by the fact that certain parts of the fan base won't be into his take on pop. It's never bothered him before.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Great post!

This is very true of the current situation, and please tell me if i've misread the feel of the board, it appears that unless IMW lives up to whatever expectation you have in your head it's not good enough. Lindsey has clearly been expanding what the term "pop" means for years, look at what he did on Under The Skin, my god, the complaints about Show Us How when that single came out was immense. Not to mention TUSK!

There appears to be two camps with IMW that i think stem from the This is 40 tracks, you either love those songs or you hate them, those that like them tend to be digging IMW (i'm in that camp).

I don't think Lindsey's really bothered by the fact that certain parts of the fan base won't be into his take on pop. It's never bothered him before.
it's not his fanbase, it's Fleetwood Mac's fanbase, this isn't a Lindsey solo album
Old 04-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello, TUSK!

Lindsey has always directed the sound of this band, he creates the sound and feel for the record. History tells us that, Post Tusk, Lindsey's solo career has indicated the sound for the next Fleetwood mac record. This is no different.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Hello, TUSK!

Lindsey has always directed the sound of this band, he creates the sound and feel for the record. History tells us that, Post Tusk, Lindsey's solo career has indicated the sound for the next Fleetwood mac record. This is no different.
i agree with you there, definitely.

still doesn't mean *i* need to like the song. i really can't even stand it now, everything in it is starting to annoy me. someone made a new EP track list with this song replacing Without You. Without You was song that was really dragging down the EP and didn't belong, but even in the context of the EP and considering this is from the same sessions and group of songs as the other 3 EP songs, i'd still have to skip it just like i did Without You.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I still don't know how I feel about this song.

Even though, there is a new single out, I have been listening to the extended version of You and I all day. Just discovered it and Instantly loved the new intro because of the lushness. I thought about it and there is lushness to GYPSY, DREAMS, YOU MAKE LOVING FUN...

Then there is this song, In My World, which has all the makings of great song, the cowbell, the grunts, the melody but it isn't lush. I like it but I have to force myself to love it by listening to it 100 times. Because of the way it's produced I can barely understand the word, let alone sing along with it.

I think about Sentimental Lady. Look what Lindsey did to that song. He turned that song into a lush, lovable hit that people played over and over again. The Fleetwood Mac version was just a shadow of what he turned it into.

This song is in the same boat. The greatness is there, but the paint strokes on the canvas aren't strong enough. I have to force myself to notice all the great things about it. It seems like a very good demo for what could be great song. It still seems like a minimalist Lindsey Buckingham solo song.

Somebody please remix or reproduce this song so that the potential is realized. It really is a good song, but not fully realized.
I agree. The song itself isn't necessary bad, I'm just not fond of the production.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It definitely has hints of You and I in it.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still like it. Anyone had a change of heart?