Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default homework

Somehow I always end up in these threads after they lost their origional purpose...
Well, I am pro homework as long as it NEVER exceeds two hours a night, and beleive me I had hw for about 4-5hrs a night from 9-12 grade. Mostly my fault taking way to many advanced classes, but truthfully the only hw that ever helped me was the physics and calc which was graded on completion. Keeping reading logs for those awful english books was a waste of time (hey if I didn't read it you'll know when I take a test on it). History hw was just reading. It got sooooo much better in college, less busy work.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Sorry school was such crap for you. Is there anything you would have done differently, knowing what you know now? (Other than transferring to Jason's school. )
That's actually a very good question, Jake.
Who I am now is very different from who I was back then.
These days I wouldn't put up with it... so it's easy to say that, given what I know now, I would have stood up for myself and fought back.

But, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I definitely believe that every experience we have... both good and bad... molds us into the people we are today.
And even though I'm far from perfect, I think my heart is in the right place... and that has to be due, in no small part, to the experiences I've had.

So maybe the only thing I would have changed, is that I would have found one person whom I knew I could trust, and confided in them. People around me knew some of what was going on (it was hard to miss), but I would never talk about it.
But I should have at least done that... if nothing else... rather than bottling things up and letting it eat at me.

Again though, these days when I do mentoring, I think it really is because of the experiences I had, that I seem to have an intuitiveness when it comes to kids going thru similar situations.
So if some of the crap I went thru has allowed me to be able to help someone, then it was definitely all worth it.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 02-13-2004 at 03:28 AM..
Old 02-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well it depends. Right now I am very anti-homework...mostly because I am completely done with classes in my major..I'm also done with all of my general ed requirements....SOOO..that means I'm stuck taking a semester of stupid crap I don't need (i.e. Theater 101, art 150 -drawing-, and a class about bugs) and since I took lower level classes for an easy semester I find they've increased the amount of "busy work" and I get really ticked off about it....I don't want to write any essays on the greeks and theater or about the mating habits of cockroaches...I just want to graduate already!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
I won't be styling hair. But for you i'll make an exception. How would you feel about a mohawk?
Why should both of us sport the same 'do?

- Jake
Old 02-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: homework

Quote:
Originally posted by jadegypsy
Somehow I always end up in these threads after they lost their origional purpose...
Well, I am pro homework as long as it NEVER exceeds two hours a night, and beleive me I had hw for about 4-5hrs a night from 9-12 grade. Mostly my fault taking way to many advanced classes, but truthfully the only hw that ever helped me was the physics and calc which was graded on completion. Keeping reading logs for those awful english books was a waste of time (hey if I didn't read it you'll know when I take a test on it). History hw was just reading. It got sooooo much better in college, less busy work.
I remember a LOT of reading and writing on college nights.

- Jake
Old 02-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
That's actually a very good question, Jake.
Who I am now is very different from who I was back then.
So long ago, I was an innocent
It had nothing to do with age...

And time makes you bolder...

I hope we've all changed, Johnny.
What 's that quote: G-d instructs the heart not with words but with pain and tribulations. Or some crap like that.

- Jake
Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Actually, I think kids today need as much physical activity as they can get. So, "gym" should be mandatory.

Obesity in kids (and just about ALL Americans) is rampant. Between sedentary lifestyles of people being either in front of a TV or computer for hours a day and the easy accessibility of fast-food, we're in for a nationwide health crises...obesity/diabetes/hypertention/heart disease.

(I raise my hand...I need to lose 70-80 lbs myself)
Sorry, I don't think it is the schools job to maintain their students healthy weight. The parents need to take the responsibility for it, but they never will because parents suck these days and let their kids do whatever. If they didn't feed their kids fast food and cholesterol milkshakes every day, and let them lounge about playing Playstation, we wouldn't have such problems. Eat healthy and exercise daily, that's the key. And if all else fails, get a band around your tummy.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Awww, ya soft-hearted big lug.

- Jake
It is so true - I am a great big ole loud mouth softy who loves a cocktail!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Sorry, I don't think it is the schools job to maintain their students healthy weight. The parents need to take the responsibility for it, but they never will because parents suck these days and let their kids do whatever. If they didn't feed their kids fast food and cholesterol milkshakes every day, and let them lounge about playing Playstation, we wouldn't have such problems. Eat healthy and exercise daily, that's the key. And if all else fails, get a band around your tummy.
I agree to a point, but PE brings out social skills as well. Of course, I am one who thinks school should be from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. - so there would be time enough for it!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
I don't want to write any essays on the greeks and theater or about the mating habits of cockroaches...I just want to graduate already!!!!
Take it from the rest of us, graduations can come and go, but the mating habits of a cockroach can be with you for life. (Hi, Marissa. )

- Jake
Old 02-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I agree to a point, but PE brings out social skills as well. Of course, I am one who thinks school should be from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. - so there would be time enough for it!!!!!
I agree.

- Jake
Old 02-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I don't know what your PE classes were like, but all of the classes I was in weren't like that. No one wanted to change in the bathrooms because they were embarrassed, everoyne smelled of body odor because they were going through puberty (which resulted in our teacher actually handing out nose plugs at one time!!!!!!), the plus sized children cried throughout the whole class, no one wanted to do anything in front of the other kids; the whole class was torture for everyone involved.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pro

I'm pro-homework to an extent. My preschooler gets homework once a week. Just practicing writing one letter a week and finding 4 pictures in magazines that start with that letter and gluing it in the book. Easy enough. But my neighbor's son is in kindergarten, and he has homework EVERY night. His school does only offer half a day of kindergarten, so maybe that's partly the reason for so much homework. I think kindergarten should be all day. My daughter will be going to an all-day kindgarten at a private school next year, and I'm sure she'll be getting her fair share of homework.
But 3-4 hours of homework a night for older kids hardly allows time for extra-curricular activities, which I feel are an important part of a child's life.

BTW, Jake & Marissa, you guys crack me up with your back-and-forth bantering!

Carol
Old 02-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I forgot to mention before that my current Phys. Ed. teacher weighs 300+ pounds. Talk about ironic...and pathetic.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I don't know what your PE classes were like, but all of the classes I was in weren't like that. No one wanted to change in the bathrooms because they were embarrassed, everoyne smelled of body odor because they were going through puberty (which resulted in our teacher actually handing out nose plugs at one time!!!!!!), the plus sized children cried throughout the whole class, no one wanted to do anything in front of the other kids; the whole class was torture for everyone involved.
That pretty accurately describes my junior high PE experience. But we did have Square Dancing at one point as a part of PE. That was actually fun. We didn't have to change clothes, and you were forced to dance with and hold hands!!

I went to high school when Jane Fonda made aerobics so popular, so we did that a lot in PE, and that was fun, just sweaty. And I hate being sweaty.....

Carol