Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Fye Music Stores

I have not read that they were in trouble or anything, so I was surprised when I went to the King of Prussia Mall yesterday (my annual trip for my birthday), and the store was closing. A sign did say to visit their other stores & it listed them. Everything was 50% off, but all the stuff was kind of thrown together. I couldn't make heads or tails out of what was there. I didn't buy anything, but I thought it was ironic because when I was in there, they were playing Lindsey's Gift of Screws. The only song I really don't like was playing first, Time Precious Time. I stayed long enough to hear, Did you Miss Me, so I could sing along. But what kept going through my mind, was what Stevie said, at the end of her concert a few years back, about saving the music stores. And I thought it was ironic because what was playing throughout the store, was Lindsey.

Lee
Old 01-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have not read that they were in trouble or anything, so I was surprised when I went to the King of Prussia Mall yesterday (my annual trip for my birthday), and the store was closing. A sign did say to visit their other stores & it listed them. Everything was 50% off, but all the stuff was kind of thrown together. I couldn't make heads or tails out of what was there. I didn't buy anything, but I thought it was ironic because when I was in there, they were playing Lindsey's Gift of Screws. The only song I really don't like was playing first, Time Precious Time. I stayed long enough to hear, Did you Miss Me, so I could sing along. But what kept going through my mind, was what Stevie said, at the end of her concert a few years back, about saving the music stores. And I thought it was ironic because what was playing throughout the store, was Lindsey.

Lee
TransWorld (the owner of FYE) was having trouble, as I recall, way back in 2001 when I still worked for the company. I was an asst. manager of an FYE in the perimeter mall in Atlanta. What a great job, actually. In fact, probably the best job I ever had in terms of just being "fun." Too bad it only paid $10.00 an hr!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not shocked.
Their prices are awful, I've wondered how they can stay in business with those prices.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpai View Post
I'm not shocked.
Their prices are awful, I've wondered how they can stay in business with those prices.
It's because they actually pay about $10-$13 per CD. To turn a profit they have to sell it for $17-$20. I always wondered whilst working there, why we didnt sell our CDs for $15-16? You know...a few dollars more than Best Buy, but we had way better customer service, and better selection too.

When Best Buy sells a CD for $9.99-12.99 they lose money. A place like Best Buy only has music & Dvds to entice you into buying other (bigger) stuff.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

I thought they went out of business 3-4 years ago
Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's a shame about FYE.

I prefer getting music there than at Best Buy or Circuit City. Plus they have a better laid out store, and they carry used discs, which is awesome, cause I got a few used discs there. I'd say besides Jelly's [the used CD store in Worcester I go to], FYE is my second favorite music store. [Excluding iTunes from it all of course, can't beat digital music XD]
Old 01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember when FYE bought out the CD Wherehouses in OKC back in late 2003 and sold all the merchandise for next to nothing (I bought a JVC home system compact disc player for $15), but now there is only a few FYE's left in the city. I only hit 'em to find used CD's.

I was sadden that the Texas Tech campus Ralph's Records (In Lubbock obviously) had closed - Ralph's had been open for 50 years - a great place to purchase used cd's.

Just a sign of the times...

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Both Virgin Megastores in NYC are closing in 2009. They are as corporate as you get, but they have pretty much everything and I'm still going to miss them.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
Both Virgin Megastores in NYC are closing in 2009. They are as corporate as you get, but they have pretty much everything and I'm still going to miss them.
All of the Virgin Megastores I've ever been to are either going to close soon or have already closed long ago. That's not a good example, though (Virgin stores were always loss-leaders to get the brand name out there)