Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick's book- the "Time" Band

Just read the couple of pages devoted to this line-up in Mick's book. Entertainingly grim is how I would put it. Dave and Bekka didn't hit it off to say the least (what, quarrels in this band? Plus ça change!). Mick was hoping against hope that Chris would rescind her decision not to tour, but was left with what he had and had to make the best of it until he had to collapse it realising his mistake. He's kinder about the music they produced and just says they were a good band with the wrong name.. Behind the Mask barely gets a mention at all...
Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always wondered if there were issues between them, considering he has a history with the family.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Either way, THE only reason Dave Mason ever ended up in Fleetwood Mac was because Billy quit.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I always wondered if there were issues between them, considering he has a history with the family.
Yeah, Mick says he'd been hoping that's a reason they WOULD get on, have good chemistry, etc, because they'd known each other via family for so long. But as Mr Scarrot said, not so much. Quite the opposite.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"

Last edited by nicole21290; 10-31-2014 at 04:39 AM..
Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Yeah, Mick says he'd been hoping that's a reason they WOULD get on, have good chemistry, etc, because they'd known each other via family for so long. But as Mr Scarrot, not so much. Quite the opposite.
Oddly enough, though, that WAS the case for her with Billy.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, Christine didn't like Dave, Bekka didn't like Dave, Richard Dashut didn't like Dave...Why exactly did they keep him around after Billy Burnette came back?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-31-2014, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
So, Christine didn't like Dave, Bekka didn't like Dave, Richard Dashut didn't like Dave...Why exactly did they keep him around after Billy Burnette came back?
Billy didn't feel comfortable playing lead guitar so as was the reason with Rick being there, they needed another guitarist for that if nothing else.

John
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
(I'm going back a little bit in the thread, I know, but hadn't read it until now.)

A few reasons, I'm guessing. If Billy had been comfortable as a lead guitarist, I assume they would have hired him in that capacity in the first place, not both him and Rick...so they still needed a separate lead guitarist alongside him. As to why they kept Dave instead of trying to coax Rick back, etc. ... Mick and Dave were tight, and Mick sold him on being a member of the band, so he probably didn't want to back away from his decision. And it probably didn't hurt Dave's cause that he was the most widely known singer/songwriter in the band, aside from Christine.

All that said, obviously it wasn't the *right* choice. I never saw the chemistry and camaraderie with Billy and Dave that I saw with Billy and Rick. (Maybe it's because they were both the "new guys" at the same time...) Dave and Billy seemed to co-exist more than collaborate, on stage and in studio. I'm not surprised Mick hit "detonate" on that lineup as soon as it was clear Time was going nowhere...
Old 11-12-2014, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oddly enough, though, that WAS the case for her with Billy.
Billy and Bekka made a nice country album together! They have similar musical pedigrees.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-12-2014 at 03:08 AM..
Old 11-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Billy and Bekka made a nice country album together! They have similar musical pedigrees.
The Bekka And Billy album is not only a great country album, it's a great album in general. Bekka's vocals are superb, particularly her backing vocals on Heart To Call Home. Billy doesn't get nearly enough credit for his abilities as an artist and a songwriter. He's always been able to fit himself into different music genres seamlessly and with authenticity.