Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Smile Discussing Fleetwood Mac Live (1980)

Should be a good one. Have not watched it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHru88xq2M

IMHO recap:

The fantastic

Rhiannon - I understand why they used Rumours concert songs. There is no better version of this song than the Rumours tour
Over My Head - Another best version of the song from an earlier tour
Oh Well - I was never a fan of Lindsey covering older Mac tunes. But thankfully they kept this in the set. The best version of Oh Well IMHO. Lindsey and John on fire.
Over and Over - not a huge fan of the album version. This live edition takes the song to another level
Sara - I know its touched but its a gem. The first few lines are always sung different. This is my all time favorite
I'm So Afraid - My all time favorite version. You even hear Mick moaning in beginning. Chris's organ is haunting. Lindsey rocks this one.
Don't Let Me Down Again - another earlier tour classic. Thankfully it made it on the album

The good
Landslide - love it being dedicated to London. I always loved Chris's solo over the guitar. I just wish Stevie's vocals did not go below a whisper
Say You Love Me - really like it but Stevie's vocals are too strong
Go Your Own Way - Not my favorite version. It always sounds very raw which is good but Stevie's vocals sort of ruin the song for me (sorry)
Fireflies
Never Going Back Again

The meh
Not That Funny
One More Night

Swing and Miss
Dont Stop - my least favorite version of the song. I like all live performances other than this one. It misses the anthem feel and it seems half baked (probably because they were half baked)
The Farmers Daughter - I dont get the fuss about this song. Yes they can harmonize but its a horrible song IMHO
Dreams - I know I am in the minority but this is my least favorite version of the song. Stevie is trying way too hard to over sell it. Calm down you're not auditioning for American Idol. However there is a reason she is doing this. When recorded at the Paris soundcheck in 1977, Dreams was just released as a single. So the song had not gotten roots yet and she was proud of the song and IMHO over playing it vocally.

Wishes
I would have scrapped all new songs and Farmers Daughter for the inclusion of The Chain and Sisters. This is when the Mac was still considered a rock band and capturing these 2 beasts live would have made the album stellar.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-13-2023 at 06:36 AM..
Old 04-13-2023, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with most of your comments. This CD has the best live versions of Over My Head, Rhiannon, and Don’t Let Me Down I’ve heard. I also think this version of Landslide is my favorite- Stevie sounds exhausted and or wasted, but either way, the weariness in her delivery adds to the meaning of the song, regardless of the cause.

Sorry you don’t care for Farmer’s Daughter- I think the appeal is two-fold. Besides having some of their best harmonies ever, the song is so un-Fleetwood Mac-like that it really stands out.

I really really dislike One More Night, and would have preferred Brown Eyes instead.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

I came into this podcast not loving that version of "Landslide" but y'all made me a believer!
Old 04-15-2023, 04:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
I came into this podcast not loving that version of "Landslide" but y'all made me a believer!
There is special magic to the song in the early days before it became an arena sing a long song. But I also like the electric guitar version she did on the Timespace tour. The Dance version is really good too because it sort of brought it back to its original form that was lost for decades. However it was too good because it became the sing along song ever since.