Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would so love to hang out casually with Miss McVie. Pop a Xanax & DO IT!!
And THAT should be the grand prize!(the hangout, not the Xanax)
I'd like to knock off a couple bottles of Merlot with her, while we play our favorite FM songs together.
(yes, I feel like a BIG dork now)
Old 08-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>I would so love to hang out casually with Miss McVie. Pop a Xanax & DO IT!!
And THAT should be the grand prize!(the hangout, not the Xanax)
I'd like to knock off a couple bottles of Merlot with her, while we play our favorite FM songs together.
(yes, I feel like a BIG dork now)>>

Wow, a hangout would be just to far out to imagine. I'm not sure she'd go for the Merlot, though, having quit drinking....but tea would do the job for me just as well. :-)

I'd love to just get her talking about her life starting from about 1965 on....'tell me everything you remember, starting NOW!' LOL. I'd also love to look at her old photo albums, aargh just the band history and memories in the photos and home movies that mick/john/chris must have tucked away somewhere...the idea that the world of FMac fans will never see all that stuff makes me weepy. Am I the only one that thinks of stuff like this?!?

-Lis
Old 08-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin

I'd love to just get her talking about her life starting from about 1965 on....'tell me everything you remember, starting NOW!' LOL. I'd also love to look at her old photo albums, aargh just the band history and memories in the photos and home movies that mick/john/chris must have tucked away somewhere...the idea that the world of FMac fans will never see all that stuff makes me weepy. Am I the only one that thinks of stuff like this?!?

-Lis
No, Lis you're not the only one. I do think I'd need a Xanax for that though.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>No, Lis you're not the only one. I do think I'd need a Xanax for that though. >>

Yes, it goes without saying, I'd have to be sedated as well. :-) Seeing old photos and watching old FM home movies would surely send me into heart failure if I didn't have something to keep me calm.

Chris: "Let's start w/ this photo album; it begins with Christmas at Benifold, 1972."

Lis: "Might I just have a moment to take my medication? I'll be right with you."

LOL I am sitting here laughing like an idiot; my poor son thinks I have gone crazy.

-Lis
Old 08-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, Lis, you are not alone. I have dreams where I meet her=:-)

I'd love to see the pictures and saved stuff too...

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 08-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh my God.

You little...!!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. But thanks, I guess. Now the pressure's off me LOL.

oh my god if she says she hates it or wonders where i get off writing about her life...i will curl up and die. But hey, maybe she will be flattered. Now i begin the agonizing wait to see if she will actually answer that.

-Lis
Lis, honestly, I think you should tell her who you are, that you and your husband created The Penguin (give her the URL) and that you would love to have her read what you wrote, and that you'd love to be able to interview her. I honestly think she would enjoy talking to you. You are very articulate and clearly a serious fan. Go for it! Yep, I think she would be flattered to see all the labor and love you both put into this site. Be proud!
Old 08-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You should def introduce yourself Lis. They have the Penguin on their links page so maybe she knows about it already!

Pip
Old 08-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Hi guys. Thanks for all the encouragement. I do think Chris knows about and has seen the site- I will share an embarrassing little story w/ you all, since you seem like nice people....

Back in 1999, Chris wrote to us to complement us on the site-- how much info we had, etc-- we believed-- and still believe-- it was her: the e-mail address made sense, it 'sounded' like Chris and had some funny examples of her dry sense of humor. She was flattered and impressed, while I was shocked and amazed. In 95-97 I had lots of e-mail contact ew/ John McVie, so it was not beyond the realm of possibility to us that it was really her.

Now for the embarrassing part. It took me quite awhile to respond. Yes, you read that right, I did not sit my @$$ down immediately at the computer and write back as someone who adores and respects this woman would have. I had an extremely active and willful 3 yr old. We had just moved into our new house. I was pregnant and exhausted and overwhelmed by all the stuff I had to do-- and FM took a backseat to all that other stuff. So anyway-- by the time I got around to writing back to her to say thanks etc, it bounced back to me. I was (I still am!) so embarrassed, I was just so darn rude.

So anyway-- at the bottom of my question to her, I apologized for all that-- she probably doesn't even remember, but boy it has sure haunted me. As far as asking her for an interview...I don't think I can bring myself to do it. I'm way too chicken. I mean, she is doing the Q&A on her own site....not sure I can ask for more than that! To be honest we always hoped we'd get one of the 'five' to do a Q&A on our site...but I don't think that will ever happen at this point.

Anyway-- i *do* hope we have a good reputation for being trustworthy folks- we have spoken to/written to/dealt w/ many FM members/associates/family members- past and present-- and I hope they realize that we shared what was meant to be shared and kept *many* other personal things to ourselves... our lips were/are sealed. We are proud of that.

But at least i just shared what has mortified me for the last 5 years! Thanks for bearing w/ me.

-Lis
Old 08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lis,
What an unbelievable story! I'll bet it probably was her & I'll bet you've thought alot about that during these 5 years since. That must have been soon after she had moved back to England. You know when George Hawkins had his Q & A here on the Penguin about 4 or 5 years ago, he got a phone call from Christine during the middle of the Q & A. I always wondered if she happened to look at this website, saw George's Q & A and then decided to call him up since she hadn't heard from him in a few years. It's too much of a coincidence that she just happened to phone George just as he happened to be doing the Q & A.

I know you've always wanted to have a Q & A with one of the five on this website, but this is the next best thing. And, it's with the member that I & probably you most want. I still can't believe it in a way. I hope she remembers you. I'm sure that would make you feel better considering what happened.

By the way, did you keep her e-mail on your computer or did you delete it?

Last edited by macfan 57; 08-07-2004 at 04:07 PM..
Old 08-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>What an unbelievable story! I'll bet it probably was her & I'll bet you've thought alot about that during these 5 years since. That must have been soon after she had moved back to England. >>

Yes, I have thought about that way too much, and have always just felt awful about it. I've told Marty-- that goes to show how exhausted and 'out of it' I was at that time in my life, that I just blew her off like that. That would never happen now!!!! I just can't believe I let it happen then.

I do remember the coincidental timing of Chris' phone call to George Hawkins during his Q&A and thought the same thing you did.....she must have peeked around a bit or had relatives/friends that mentioned it to her.

>>I know you've always wanted to have a Q & A with one of the five on this website, but this is the next best thing. And, it's with the member that I & probably you most want. I still can't believe it in a way. I hope she remembers you. I'm sure that would make you feel better considering what happened.>>

I am thrilled that she is doing this Q&A also, and she is the one I'd most love to hear answers from. I doubt she remembers writing us though... maybe it's better if she forgot I blew her off!

>>By the way, did you keep her e-mail on your computer or did you delete it?

We kept it for years, along w/ all the ones from John and what I wrote to him. I would never have deleted those in a million years! A couple years ago our hard drive died, though, and I think it all was lost w/ that. However, I had printed all that stuff out, thank god! I have a framed copy of her e-mail note down in my basement, w/ all my other neat FM posters etc. I also framed the one from John in 97, where he told us the the reunion would probably happen. To say those letters are priceless to me is an understatement, I get choked up now just thinking about it. Whenever I go past them to my laundry room, I read them and smile. Even my parents saw them and were duly impressed LOL.

Thanks for the support!

--Lis
Old 08-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

We kept it for years, along w/ all the ones from John and what I wrote to him. I would never have deleted those in a million years! A couple years ago our hard drive died, though, and I think it all was lost w/ that. However, I had printed all that stuff out, thank god! I have a framed copy of her e-mail note down in my basement, w/ all my other neat FM posters etc. I also framed the one from John in 97, where he told us the the reunion would probably happen. To say those letters are priceless to me is an understatement, I get choked up now just thinking about it. Whenever I go past them to my laundry room, I read them and smile. Even my parents saw them and were duly impressed LOL.

--Lis
That was very smart, especially since your hard drive broke down later. It's kind of ironic that the only 2 members of the 5 that have contacted you & Marty about this website were your favorites, the McVies.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>That was very smart, especially since your hard drive broke down later. It's kind of ironic that the only 2 members of the 5 that have contacted you & Marty about this website were your favorites, the McVies. >>

Yeah, and a good reminder to me about *why* they were always my favorites. Gotta love the 'down to earth-ness' of their personalities.

I was sort of ballsy, thinking back. John used to type LIKE THIS and I actually once told him (nicely of course) that that was sort of considered 'shouting' in computer talk LOL. He had no clue. I remember he also didn't know what the heck some of the abbreviations stood for. Very cute.

-Lis
Old 08-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Please show us one email from John, please, please, pretty please.
The business of the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell the country for his daily bread. You know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an independent press. We are the tools and vassals of the rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes. "
Old 08-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

>>Please show us one email from John, please, please, pretty please.>>

Not gonna happen my friend, sorry.

However on John's bio page, you can find one thing he *knew* we would put on the site-- this was directly taken from a letter:

"My Fender, Reg. # L12304, was stolen from our van in Manhatten Beach. Many years ago. By then it was scraped down to the bare wood and had a dragon carved in it. By Christine. Which tells you how long ago that was!"

I love how he wrote just like he talks, w/ the little phrases LOL. I can totally hear him saying that. And it made me laugh how he put the reg # in, like I would perhaps know where it was.

-Lis
Old 08-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And it made me laugh how he put the reg # in, like I would perhaps know where it was.
If you'd ever had instruments stolen, you'd understand. I've still got serial #'s in my glovebox from a theft 12 years ago! You never know when you might walk in a pawnshop, or second hand store, and THERE's your baby! It's possible.....even if not probable.
That's so funny that he had it memorized.