Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
The new Mick Fleetwood Blues Band - Blue Again CD featuring Rick Vito

Anyone give this one a test drive yet? Thoughts if so?

I'm a big Rick Vito fan so pretty much he could sing the telephone directory and I'd still like it.

However it is a great album, and on the first disc I find it impossible to pick a favourite song as they are all fantastic.

The Peter Green purists will probably hate it though because while I love Rick he isn't Peter.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I'm a big Rick Vito fan so pretty much he could sing the telephone directory and I'd still like it.

However it is a great album, and on the first disc I find it impossible to pick a favourite song as they are all fantastic.

The Peter Green purists will probably hate it though because while I love Rick he isn't Peter.
Good to hear chriskisn, that's a start. I ran across an article from the Maui News (below) and it kinda intrigued me, so I found this thread and thought I'd add it to it. Might be interesting to hear a 21st century interpretation of some of PG's classic stuff - while adding some new + old Vito in the mix - and with two Mac alumni involved, one named Fleetwood, how can you go wrong?

Peter Green purists ... hmmm... as in Vinnie der bluesmeister? Are there OTHERS? Yes, it would be nice to hear doodyhead's views, along with anyone else who wants to throw in their two cents on this.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maui News
Maui Scene > Maui Beat

Two really big shows at the MACC this weekend

By JON WOODHOUSE, Contributing Writer
POSTED: September 25, 2008

Since announcing his new blues band's European tour, Mick Fleetwood has been inundated with interview requests. Fielding questions from his Maui home about the highly anticipated shows that pay homage to the blues rock roots of Fleetwood Mac, the band's legendary drummer wonders why it's taken him so long to mine his early history.

"I'm surprised I didn't think about doing it before," he says. "I've had loads of interviews about it and I don't have an answer. I go, why didn't I. I can only put it down to old age. I'm 61, this is where I began, my boot camp."

Featuring Fleetwood, guitarist/vocalist Rick Vito, bassist Lenny Castellanos and keyboardist Mark Johnstone, the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band will make its Hawaii debut on Friday at a benefit concert for the Maui Arts & Cultural Center.

In their initial incarnation, Fleetwood Mac began like a number of leading English bands with roots in the blues. Formed in 1967 by Fleetwood, bassist John McVie, and legendary guitarist Peter Green (all three had previously played together in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers), plus second guitarist Jeremy Spencer, they quickly became the U.K.'s premier blues band.

For Rick Vito (who also feels blessed to now call Maui his home) the upcoming tour is a dream come true. The acclaimed guitarist recalls being thrilled seeing the Peter Green edition of Fleetwood Mac as an aspiring 18-year-old musician.

"I had seen Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton, and here comes this band that was 180 degrees different," Vito explains. "Their attitude was let's just go out and play music, and they were playing blues much more faithful to what I believed original blues sounded like, and they were putting their own stamp on it. I was especially impressed with Peter Green because his songs were really cool and his approach to guitar was so tasteful, and with Mick and John behind, it was incredible.

It pointed me in a direction; I liked the idea of restraint instead of being crazy."

Over the years this gifted musician has recorded and toured with the likes of John Mayall, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Bob Seger (that's him soloing on "Like a Rock"), John Fogerty, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks.

English blues pioneer John Mayall hailed has him as "a master of his instrument," Bonnie Raitt pronounced, "His style is as cool and sharp as a '59 Cadillac tailfin," and bluesman Keb Mo' summed him up as a "soulful singer and brilliant guitarist."

Playing with Fleetwood Mac from 1987 to 1991, it was Vito who encouraged the band to dip into its vintage catalogue.

"When Lindsey (Buckingham) left the Mac and Rick and Billy (Burnette) took over, we went on a very successful world tour, and Rick brought back 'Stop Messin' Around,' which we'll do on Friday, and 'I Loved Another Woman,' " says Fleetwood.

Vito's affection for this classic material combined with his vocal and guitar dexterity in large part made the new band possible. "In truth, it's why this is so comfortable for me," says Fleetwood. "He knows where I come from and loved that music so much, that's why we can do this. We have a mutual respect for early Fleetwood Mac so it made this a special thing."

Besides early Mac classics like "Black Magic Woman," "Oh Well" and "Albatross," the band revives such blues nuggets as "Shake Your Moneymaker," "Dust My Broom" and "Need Your Love So Bad."

How about "The Green Manalishi"?

"It hasn't appeared, but it's something I would love to do," Fleetwood notes. "It was the last thing Peter ever recorded with Fleetwood Mac, which is quite ironic if you listen to the words and know the history Peter took with his illness and problems. I love that song, it's such a powerful riff, I'm sure we'll work up to it."

Recorded in St. Louis, "Blue Again," a live Mick Fleetwood Blues Band album will be released next month in Europe first. "It's a really great calling card, rather than coming out with a studio album and re-creating the wheel," he continues. "Enough people will love the music and buy the record, but I'm not expecting to be on the Billboard Top 100."

"We recorded the live show last January," adds Vito. "We happened to have the tape rolling and captured a great night. It's so much fun to play this music. We're celebrating this music, and adding some new stuff that fits stylistically, working in a handful of my songs."

Besides the live show, the new CD will feature a bonus disc of four studio tracks.

"These are four instrumental tracks with just Mick and I playing," Vito explains. "I do a new version of 'Albatross' and one of mine called 'Napili Nocturne.'"

The blues band will tour Europe in October at a time of heightened interest in Mac's formative days. A check of Amazon reveals a staggering number of CD compilations.

"I don't know how many we get paid for," says Fleetwood chuckling. " A couple of times John and I have said, let's get a lawyer and find out. The lovely thing about this is that as late as it is to be revisiting, I do think it's appropriate. It's the 40th anniversary of Fleetwood Mac, but that's not why we're doing it. It's lighting the fuse again to a lot of songs that have an emotional connect to a fair chunk of the audience."

And one last question: Fleetwood Mac in 2009?

"We'll probably be out in April," he answers. "I'm sure we'll go to Australia and between me and John, we'll try our best to get the crew and band to the islands. It's long overdue and the Eagles made it here and me and Rick will open up for them."

Source: http://beta100.mauinews.com/page/con....html?nav=5014
Old 12-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I'm with you there, chriskisn! He could rip all the way through to the Z's without his energy level ever fading. Sign me up to buy it.

Quote:
from above interview with Mick Fleetwood:
And one last question: Fleetwood Mac in 2009?

"We'll probably be out in April," he answers. "I'm sure we'll go to Australia and between me and John, we'll try our best to get the crew and band to the islands. It's long overdue and the Eagles made it here and me and Rick will open up for them."
What's Mick talking about here? He and Rick opening for Fleetwood Mac? That doesn't make sense -- it would mean cloning himself to appear in two successive acts, and that's a damn scary thought.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post

What's Mick talking about here? He and Rick opening for Fleetwood Mac? That doesn't make sense -- it would mean cloning himself to appear in two successive acts, and that's a damn scary thought.
Mick in Multiplicity. I thought he meant that his Island Rumours band was going to open for the Eagles. But he and Rick could open for the Mac and then Mick could play in the Mac too. It's physically possible, as the opening act would be before the main act.

Michele
Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post

Which would be great because I'd love to see Rick Vito live...
Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

.... live and Unleashed!

sorry, couldn't resist....
Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Mick in Multiplicity. I thought he meant that his Island Rumours band was going to open for the Eagles. But he and Rick could open for the Mac and then Mick could play in the Mac too. It's physically possible, as the opening act would be before the main act.
My read is similar to Michele's, in that he was referring to the Island Rumours band, and not the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band (but damn that guy gets around, and at what age now?). Whether he was also referring to opening for the Mac as a double up, or that line is parenthetical and referencing the Eagles only, is hard to tell from how it's written.

As for Rick Vito, any concert involving him would be worth the price of admission, just for his excellent and always compelling riffing alone. Backed by Mick on the sticks doubles the pleasure, and thereby the fun. Gum anyone?