The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing I like most about In the Back of My Mind was Mick's drumming at the intro, very Mac-ish. I liked it as a show opener and saw it as a sign of the new line up trying to define itself. Perhaps to promote Behind the Mask, opening the show with the title cut and then having Christine say thank you that's the title track from our new album and have the crowd cheering. Voila excitement created for the album, but then again, it's almost a quarter century ago now
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hello all: I find "Skies' the Limit" quite catchy. Very melodic. Easy for repeated listenings. Also think "Tango" cd is almost as good as "Rumours", with "Family Man", another good song. Just my humble opinion, though. Keep discussing.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I agree that 'In The Back of My Mind" would have been a great choice for an album opener. Yet, in my experience, it was a horrible choice as a show opener.

I saw several shows on that tour. While I admired their bold choice to start the show with a brand new, unfamiliar song (a deep album track!), it was a huge misstep to pick that particular song.

Picture an audience, minutes before they appear on stage; full of energy and excited in the anticipation. The band comes out and the crowd goes wild. What follows is a much too long intro which proceeds to consume all the energy in the room. When they start to play, the dirge-like pace of the song further lulls the audience into respectfu indifference.
I saw them open with it...couldn't have been a BETTER opener...especially when they medley'ed it with "The Chain" (to me, an equally dirge-like opener...I guess they figured that in '90, a majority of their audience still was puffing on the local loco-weed when the houselights went down)...but, concert set pacing is a marathon, not a sprint. Otherwise, they'd just open with "Go Your Own Way" and then fail to keep the audience past the opener. (like Clapton mistakenly did during his '75 tour by opening his sets with "Layla")
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
But this would've been the Tango tour, right?
Hmm... did they play Fresno in 1990 as well?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Hmm... did they play Fresno in 1990 as well?
But the 2012 article said "Twenty-five years ago".....which would have made in 1987.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I saw them open with it...couldn't have been a BETTER opener...especially when they medley'ed it with "The Chain" (to me, an equally dirge-like opener...I guess they figured that in '90, a majority of their audience still was puffing on the local loco-weed when the houselights went down)...but, concert set pacing is a marathon, not a sprint. Otherwise, they'd just open with "Go Your Own Way" and then fail to keep the audience past the opener. (like Clapton mistakenly did during his '75 tour by opening his sets with "Layla")
The first time I saw them was on that tour, and I was BLOWN AWAY by that being the opener. I thought for months that it should have been, and the it WAS! The only reason that's Billy's greatest contribution to Fleetwood Mac is because they didn't do "The Bigger The Love..."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The only reason that's Billy's greatest contribution to Fleetwood Mac is because they didn't do "The Bigger The Love..."
Okay, so they did it on one of the "Time" tours, however, I didn't see it live. Only on video replay. Still, GREAT SONG!!!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Personally Tango in the Night was sorta week but Behind the Mask and Time just weren't good albums and frankly not worth listening too. FM is my favorite band but even I think these albums shouldn't be recognized as real FM albums (even though they are).
Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgoback View Post
Personally Tango in the Night was sorta week but Behind the Mask and Time just weren't good albums and frankly not worth listening too. FM is my favorite band but even I think these albums shouldn't be recognized as real FM albums (even though they are).
They haven't done a "great" album of new material since "Tusk", but all of their albums since have had a few songs that make it worthwhile. As for the validity of calling BTM and Time Fleetwood Mac albums, again, people have been saying "those aren't real Fleetwood Mac albums" since Peter Green quit in 1970.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
As for the validity of calling BTM and Time Fleetwood Mac albums, again, people have been saying "those aren't real Fleetwood Mac albums" since Peter Green quit in 1970.
EXACTLY! When people ignore history, they repeat it.