User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I would love to hear that. I wish there was a bootleg of that floating around.

Sometimes people do vocals just for a remix. Cyndi Lauper had a song on her Twelve Deadly Sins CD called Come On Home and she went into the studio with Junior Vasquez to add additional vocals for the club mix. Of course her club mixes sometimes charted higher in dance charts than some of her singles, so that may be why the extra attention.
I remember that,she was all over doing remixes in the 90s and JV worked on tonnes of her stuff.Sly & Robbie too.I think JV did You Don't Know too,I loved that. But yeah she worked harder on the REmix than her own radio stuff ! Good work though,& on ''Hey Now'' single too.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Well arranging,producing and everything else he did..one thing is for sure :he underused Stevie Nicks on TITN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
She was hardly there during the process though.

Yes, he did......and that's not TOTALLY true. Yes, she was off touring for a good part of it, then at Betty Ford for a good part of it, but inbetween all of it, she did come in and record A TON of backing vocals for EVERY song. I've heard different stories, but what it boils down to is, SOMETHING Stevie did pissed Lindsey off, and he went back in and erased almost all of Stevie's backing vocals (He wanted to take her off "Little Lies" as well, but that was the one track where Christine said "No....it stays the way it is!"
Having a friend who worked at Warners at the time, plus having interned at Modern the year before, I was able to hear the original tracks.....they were GREAT! As good as TITN is, it could have been ~ no, it WAS!!! ~ SO much better!
Along with the continued denial about what happened in the Summer of '87, I think this is the biggest injustice LB has every pulled...on the band AND the fans!
(Yes, Mick, John and Chris should have stood up for Stevie more, but I think things were already on such unsteady ground, well, they just didn't want to shake things up any more!!!)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
[/B]

Yes, he did......and that's not TOTALLY true. Yes, she was off touring for a good part of it, then at Betty Ford for a good part of it, but inbetween all of it, she did come in and record A TON of backing vocals for EVERY song.
Yes, I know fans have made this claim for a long time. I just wish there was supporting evidence. I find it hard to believe that Stevie would have stayed quiet if this had happened, especially not once Lindsey left the band and everyone was so angry. Over the next 5 years, she spent a lot of time bashing Lindsey and then FM in the press (because she was mad about Silver Springs being withheld) and if her vocals had been taken off of the Tango album, I think she would have said so during that angry phase, not to mention that I think the song versions with her voice on them would have leaked out and would have been circulating over the years. Instead, what we have is two songs and no more.

The way Everywhere sounds, is in keeping with Mick's version of events, that Stevie wasn't there and they had to layer her voice in later. She's very prominent on Everywhere during the live performances, as if to make up for not having a strong presence on the album. Stevie said of TITN, "we made Tango In The Night, which none of us were very much a part of" and I think she didn't feel like a bit part of it because she didn't record many vocals. I know she did a lot of recording of her songs (like 7 Wonders) and she has talked about that, but not about recording discarded background vocals for Stevie and Lindsey songs.

I think Stevie would have let the world know if Lindsey had axed her on TITN, because of the open acrimony after he departed. The only thing she has ever said about her background vocals on that song is how she took her own vocals off of WISYA so that she could get Lindsey's voice alone there and make it like the two were singing together, because she didn't think he would have thought to do that himself on her song.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 03-29-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I know fans have made this claim for a long time. I just wish there was supporting evidence. I find it hard to believe that Stevie would have stayed quiet if this had happened, especially not once Lindsey left the band and everyone was so angry. Over the next 5 years, she spent a lot of time bashing Lindsey and then FM in the press (because she was mad about Silver Springs being withheld) and if her vocals had been taken off of the Tango album, I think she would have said so during that angry phase, not to mention that I think the song versions with her voice on them would have leaked out and would have been circulating over the years. Instead, what we have is two songs and no more.

The way Everywhere sounds, is in keeping with Mick's version of events, that Stevie wasn't there and they had to layer her voice in later. She's very prominent on Everywhere during the live performances, as if to make up for not having a strong presence on the album. Stevie said of TITN, "we made Tango In The Night, which none of us were very much a part of" and I think she didn't feel like a bit part of it because she didn't record many vocals. I know she did a lot of recording of her songs (like 7 Wonders) and she has talked about that, but not about recording discarded background vocals for Stevie and Lindsey songs.

I think Stevie would have let the world know if Lindsey had axed her on TITN, because of the open acrimony after he departed. The only thing she has ever said about her background vocals on that song is how she took her own vocals off of WISYA so that she could get Lindsey's voice alone there and make it like the two were singing together, because she didn't think he would have thought to do that himself on her song.

Michele
There have been a number of times Stevie has bit her tongue until it bled. For instance, when Mick's book came out and Lindsey was going on about the August incident, saying it never happened and Mick had just made that up to sell books, both Stevie AND Christine wanted to make a public statement saying that, yes, it DID happen! Mick, however, said no....they all knew what had happened, and that's all that mattered.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
* As much of a die hard Stevie fan as I am, I can't even imagine the her extra vocals from the 12" mix of Little Lies being mixed into the original song. Maybe she did them just for the remix because I they seem just too energetic for the mellow nature of the song. I think they work really well for Big Love but that really is Lindsey's song and if you had her vocals in there I'm sure it would seem to him like he'd painted a masterpiece and she came in at the last minute and spray painted on it.
This. I don't buy for a second that Lindsey, as an act of retaliation, went about erasing Stevie's vocals from the final mixes of most of the TITN songs. Lindsey was clearly going for a very sterile, inorganic sound and Stevie's cracked out vamps were the antithesis of this. Indeed, Stevie was not around for much of the TITN recording process, and I suspect that Lindsey was actually kind of thankful for that- it's one less cook in the kitchen to battle with. As Stevie did for Behind the Mask, she probably came in and did most of her backing vocals in a single multi-day session at the very end.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that Stevie would have stayed quiet if this had happened, especially not once Lindsey left the band and everyone was so angry. Over the next 5 years, she spent a lot of time bashing Lindsey and then FM in the press (because she was mad about Silver Springs being withheld) and if her vocals had been taken off of the Tango album, I think she would have said so during that angry phase, not to mention that I think the song versions with her voice on them would have leaked out and would have been circulating over the years. Instead, what we have is two songs and no more.
I suspect that Stevie tends to vent about injustices after the fact only when she was prevented from doing something or when the project was a commercial disappointment. As such, yes, Stevie complained about not having SS for Timespace, which is consistent with all of her complaints about being a prolific songwriter and getting insufficient real estate for her songs on Fleetwood Mac albums. She will complain about bad experiences behind the scenes when the album is a big hit (like Rumours or TITN] but she will never criticize the music itself. But when an album is a flop (e.g., Street Angel or Say You Will), she will talk trash about the music. I mean, what does she have to gain by criticizing a really successful piece of work?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I suspect that Stevie tends to vent about injustices after the fact only when she was prevented from doing something or when the project was a commercial disappointment. As such, yes, Stevie complained about not having SS for Timespace, which is consistent with all of her complaints about being a prolific songwriter and getting insufficient real estate for her songs on Fleetwood Mac albums. She will complain about bad experiences behind the scenes when the album is a big hit (like Rumours or TITN] but she will never criticize the music itself. But when an album is a flop (e.g., Street Angel or Say You Will), she will talk trash about the music. I mean, what does she have to gain by criticizing a really successful piece of work?
Well, she criticized Lindsey's songs on Tusk, but maybe you don't think that was a successful piece of work. Actually, while she's not going to criticize Christine's songs openly one way or another, no matter what, I think if she wasn't happy with her songs on Tango, she'd tell the world about it. She didn't like IDWTK being picked for Rumours and didn't mind saying so and if she thought that Lindsey only picked her worse songs for Tango she'd have said so and she would have mocked his own songs too. In fact, I'm not sure why she hasn't mocked Family Man, at the very least. She said how she was the one who made Lindsey do backgrounds on Mirage (for Christine's songs). She said she wasn't going to have no background singing on that album. I think she would have said something similar to lament the lack of background singing on Tango too, if she thought she had grounds.

Michele
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
There have been a number of times Stevie has bit her tongue until it bled. For instance, when Mick's book came out and Lindsey was going on about the August incident, saying it never happened and Mick had just made that up to sell books, both Stevie AND Christine wanted to make a public statement saying that, yes, it DID happen! Mick, however, said no....they all knew what had happened, and that's all that mattered.
Well, since Stevie indicated that there were lies in Mick's book and commented that if she read it she'd have to go through with a big red pen pointing them out, I'd doubt she'd shy away from saying there was truth in there. She wouldn't even have to point out the Tango fight specifically as being true. She could have just said there were truthful parts in the book. She didn't.

Michele
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
As Stevie did for Behind the Mask, she probably came in and did most of her backing vocals in a single multi-day session at the very end.
I remember Mick saying Stevie had been much more involved in the recording sessions for BTM than for the past couple Mac albums. I mean, I don't think she was there all the time (I suspect there were TOSOTM commitments), but didn't the band even go to Phoenix for part of the recording?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I remember Mick saying Stevie had been much more involved in the recording sessions for BTM than for the past couple Mac albums. I mean, I don't think she was there all the time (I suspect there were TOSOTM commitments), but didn't the band even go to Phoenix for part of the recording?
I remember hearing/reading that too. I imagine with Lindsey gone, it was easier for her to be a part of the album making process.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And BTM sucked! So what's the point here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I remember hearing/reading that too. I imagine with Lindsey gone, it was easier for her to be a part of the album making process.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an interview with Will Scheff in The Guardian, October 17. 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...er-indie-music

'My idea of hell was being trapped inside Lindsey Buckingham's brain," Will Sheff says. "I think it would be like Event Horizon – you remember that movie from the 90s? That's probably what happens inside Lindsey Buckingham's brain on a minute-to-minute basis. He's a tortured guy."

We are in the bar of what styles itself "America's longest continuously operating luxury hotel", Sheff sipping a bright pink Campari and soda, late in the afternoon of a hot September day, and talking about one of his favourite groups. About how Christine McVie is his favourite member of Fleetwood Mac: "I don't have a Stevie Nicks in my life. I have many Christine McVies in my life. That's a straight man's evaluation of Fleetwood Mac." About his favourite album by them: "Tango in the Night – not as good as Rumours, but I like it the best. The glide on the synthesisers, the DX7 – it's the sound of my childhood."
Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What are all these background vocals you think that Lindsey had from Stevie? He didn't. He may have had more backgrounds for Family Man, but that's about it.

As far as him using the first vocal for the song, what's wrong with that. How do you know the subsequent vocals she did for Seven Wonders were superior to the first vocal? Stevie herself said she couldn't do the vocal again as good as she did the very first time. So, why was it wrong for Lindsey to use that first vocal when Stevie agrees it was the best one?? She says that they "we" went with the first vocal.

Stevie said:

So then the interviewer says that she used her own words for the song.
And Stevie answers:
I hate Stevie's vocals on TITN. Her vocal on Seven wonders is awful. Over the top (from the drugs I think) and warbly. BTW I love her and think when The Dance came around she came back closer to how she used to be.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I hate Stevie's vocals on TITN. Her vocal on Seven wonders is awful. Over the top (from the drugs I think) and warbly. BTW I love her and think when The Dance came around she came back closer to how she used to be.
I love her vocal on Seven Wonders for the very reason that you hate it.It was her final vocal performance of " the coke and brandy" years recorded on Halloween weekend just before she checked into rehab.As for her overall contributions to Tango however there is no excuse for someone of her caliber dropping the ball so badly.Save for Seven Wonders which she didn't write and her harmony on Little Lies ,Tango was a wash for her.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Whose fault is that? She wasn't there to be used.
Then they should have extended the timeline of the process.

Everyone put up with waiting for Lindsey for four years to finally decide to participate with Fleetwood Mac (and decide to abandon that oh-so-important solo album). You never hear anything about that.

Ok, fine, everything is Stevie's fault. Everything. All problems were and are caused by her. Every misstep, every everything bad that ever happened since 1975. Everyone else is perfect. Especially Mr. Temperamental and Ms. Perfect-Saint-Who-Does-No-Wrong.