User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I've always strongly believed that, if nothing else, a different sequencing would have helped balance Stevie's presence on the album. She has the second slot on the album, and then is basically MIA for the next 6 tracks. Moving both "Little Lies" and "Welcome To The Room, Sara" a little earlier in the running order helps a lot.
Hmmm...yes and no. I mean, when you consider that it was sequenced with a two-sided record in mind, I'm not sure how you could move Little Lies any closer to the start of side A, *and* it fits perfectly as the first track of side B.

I suppose when you sequence the tracks in one long running order, it may seem that Little Lies should be closer to the front, but as the first track of side B it makes perfect sense (to me).

Unless you flip Tango In The Night and Little Lies, but then Lindsey would have had first tracks on both sides.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, correct me if I'm wrong:
As I remember from a Timeline (I don't remember the link), in 1986 Christine was the chosen for a work (for a movie??) and she contacted Mick, John and Lindsey. This team started with the Tango Sessions (not with that name), and then, Stevie put her part.
Lindsey took the arrangement part, making all the "hard work". Songs like Big Love and You & I (they're all I know) were recorded in 1986, but I can see that a song like Book of Miracles sounds like a Lindsey's or FM's song, not a song of Stevie. All the works of Chris have the Lindsey's vocals. The same for Lindsey, and the exception is Little Lies, with Stevie's voice. Lindsey used, I suppose, some "techniques" from his Go Insane work (the backing vocals, and the "female" voices), and we can listen that a part of Tango in the Night sounds like D.W Suite. And You & I (part II) was also sung by Chris...
The only doubt I have, is about Everywhere. Lindsey didn't appear on the video, and even when I know his voice is on the song, I don't know if he played the guitar.
We've seen some pics from the recordings, not a lot, but some interesting pics.
Regards and thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
In this universe...she has said so.She loves TITN. ok sorry I can't trawl the net for endless quotes but it's true.
I didn't say in what universe did Stevie say she liked Tango. I said in what universe would she not complain about, in response to your statement that she would never complain. As for as her liking Tango, based on her interviews, she may like Christine's songs on it. That's about it. Even as recently as the SYW interviews she was saying that none of them were much a part of Tango. I'm not sure what she meant by that, since everyone except her was a part of the album, but that's what she said and I think she never embraced the album because she felt distanced from it.

Quote:
...And there are b/g vocals for a bunch of those songs,they weren't used,on the whole record she got the 'Tell Me liiiiesss' part (and the ''wearing out'' Am What I Am'' bit on Family Man that people swear is the Lindsey/speed oscillator thing)...that's it.
The extended mixes of Family Man and Little Lies use Stevie prominently and they are able to do that by using the same background vocals over and over and making them prominent in the mix. And they did put her on Everywhere. If there are a mass of other background vocals laying around, then they sure haven't circulated among fans.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 03-11-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
So Stevie just sang what she THOUGHT were the lyrics to Seven Wonders for the initial takes takes, and then Sandy sent her the real lyrics and they were really different from what she had been singing... and they ended up going with the first take so that's why she has co-writing credit? Am I understanding that right?
I guess. Although, I think the lyrics might not be all that different from Sandy's. Maybe we fans had Sandy's original words for comparison at one point. I don't remember. Definitely, all the way down from Emmaline is Stevie's.

Stevie said FM told her that her "poetry" was already in the song and they weren't going to change that. So, the Seven Wonders lyrics turned out to be a happy accident.

Quote:
Yeah, completely and in a very positive sense. I mean, there is something in that vocal that's real special. It's because I hadn't really thought about the song much so when I walked in and they had cut the track and I walked out there it was my first experience with singing Seven Wonders. So when you hear it, you know that was really the first time I heard it too.
Michele
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I've always strongly believed that, if nothing else, a different sequencing would have helped balance Stevie's presence on the album. She has the second slot on the album, and then is basically MIA for the next 6 tracks. Moving both "Little Lies" and "Welcome To The Room, Sara" a little earlier in the running order helps a lot.
I've always felt the same way. I finally burned a CD recently of the Tango I'd have preferred, and while everyone has their preferences, I think it flows pretty well:

Books of Miracles
You & I Pt. I
Big Love
Everywhere
Seven Wonders
Tango In The Night
Mystified
Joan of Arc
Little Lies
Down Endless Street
Isn't It Midnight
Family Man
Welcome To The Room... Sara
Caroline
Ricky
When I See You Again
You & I Pt. II
Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

I haven't listened to TANGO in a few months, but I recall listening to the whole record just after Christmas, and I was impressed by how good it still sounded. It needs a bit more low-end and would benefit greatly from remastering, but overall, it's a good record. I love the layered rhythm guitars and percussion, but I think Lindsey's choice of snare drum sounds was poor. He was following the late-'80s trend of a super-crisp, high-ended snare, and the result doesn't sound real. I don't really care for the treated vocals, either, but then, I've always disliked the way Lindsey uses so many effects on vocals. He clearly still has most of his vocal range and strength, so I don't understand why he continues to layer so many effects on his own lead vocals [songs like "Underground" and "When She Comes Down" come to mind]. But that's another issue...

Someone pointed out the fact that Lindsey often tries to make instruments such as his guitar sound like other instruments. I think the arpeggio at the beginning of "Everywhere," for instance, is a perfect example of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that part is played on guitar. I suspect that it was played at normal speed, then sped up and treated with effects to make it sound as it does on the official recording.

Lindsey wasn’t the first to do that sort of thing---The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix did it quite a bit---but it's certainly a big part of his approach to recording.

matt
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

Books of Miracles
You & I Pt. I
Joan of Arc
Down Endless Street
Ricky
Just curious, have these songs been released on CD or are they available officially as a download, etc.? I have the single that has "You and I Part 1" as the b-side, and I think I might have heard a couple of the others, but I'd like to own them.

I had never even heard of "Joan of Arc" so I looked it up on YouTube and listened to it. Is this the official version [a b-side, etc.], or a demo? If it's official, was it recorded for TANGO?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeSSbXSD8M

Regards,
matt
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Just curious, have these songs been released on CD or are they available officially as a download, etc.? I have the single that has "You and I Part 1" as the b-side, and I think I might have heard a couple of the others, but I'd like to own them.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/U...Q1JVVGxESjlVag

You're welcome.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A few notes.

* Whomever did that video of Big Love adding Stevie's extra vocal, thank you. I love that!

* As much of a die hard Stevie fan as I am, I can't even imagine the her extra vocals from the 12" mix of Little Lies being mixed into the original song. Maybe she did them just for the remix because I they seem just too energetic for the mellow nature of the song. I think they work really well for Big Love but that really is Lindsey's song and if you had her vocals in there I'm sure it would seem to him like he'd painted a masterpiece and she came in at the last minute and spray painted on it.

* On Christine's comment about guitar solos I recall in an interview after Say You Will came out she commented that she didn't care for the guitar heavy sound and that it sounded more like a Buckingham Nicks album with Mick and John playing on it. What did she expect? She left the band. You can't just add another keyboardist to replace Christine McVie.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I had never even heard of "Joan of Arc" so I looked it up on YouTube and listened to it. Is this the official version [a b-side, etc.], or a demo? If it's official, was it recorded for TANGO?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeSSbXSD8M

Regards,
matt
None of these have been released on CD, much to the dismay of fans.

Joan of Arc was never released in any format, and the others are vinyl-only releases.

Even dumber is that there were CD singles released for Everywhere and Isn't It Midnight - and yet none of the Tango In The Night b-sides or 12" remixes were included here; instead, Rhiannon, Gypsy and Say You Love Me were used to fill the CDs (they also included When I See You Again and Mystified).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isn%27t_It_Midnight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everywh...twood_Mac_song)

There are a couple different versions of Joan in circulation - one is a definite Tango cut and the other sounds like a Rock A Little leftover, though I am not sure if any of us know for certain?

Hopefully, a remastered and expanded Tango In The Night, when released ( ), will include Ricky, You & I Pt. One, Down Endless Street and Book of Miracles. If we're *really* lucky, it will also include studio-quality cuts of Joan and Juliet (as well as other unknown demos from Christine and Lindsey).

None of these were even on The Chain box set, which I find peculiar.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 03-20-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted
So Stevie just sang what she THOUGHT were the lyrics to Seven Wonders for the initial takes takes, and then Sandy sent her the real lyrics and they were really different from what she had been singing... and they ended up going with the first take so that's why she has co-writing credit? Am I understanding that right?

Yes. It's good to be Queen.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Haha. Well, thanks then! I hadn’t heard those demos.

Are “Book of Miracles” and “Down Endless Street” from the sessions for TANGO or MIRAGE? The production for them sounds more like MIRAGE to me.

Umm…can I just say that I couldn’t be happier that ”What Has Rock and Roll” was NOT included on TANGO. I’m not sure even Lindsey could have saved that one.

I was listening to some of TANGO on the way home from work last night, and I forgot to mention earlier that I’ve always liked “When I See You Again.” It seems like a lot of people don’t care for it, but I think it’s a sweet little tune. Obviously, as someone pointed out, the song is sort of aiming for the same feel as “Landslide” but I think it’s different enough to stand on its own. And I love the way Lindsey sings the refrain at the end---it’s an interesting counterpoint to Stevie singing most of the song. Lindsey’s solo before the fade is fantastic, too. It’s so understated and fits the song so well. Let’s face it---the guy can sometimes be a little over the top in terms of his playing, but I often think it’s his simpler solos that are his best. [Songs like “You Make Loving Fun” and “Steal Your Heart Away” come to mind.] The guy can clearly shred when he wants to, but he has the talent and good taste to know that some songs call for something more subtle. That’s where Lindsey really stands out as a guitarist---he’s not always trying to show off and play a million notes a second like a lot of guitarists. I really dig that about him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Wow, that’s an interesting story. On one hand, it sounds like Stevie basically wrote herself into the credits [and thus, the publishing profits?] on that one. But, on the other hand, the song clearly wouldn’t have been the same without Stevie’s input. I’ve never heard Sandy Stewart’s original. Has it been released? If so, is it similar, or is it as different as Stevie claims?

matt
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are “Book of Miracles” and “Down Endless Street” from the sessions for TANGO or MIRAGE? The production for them sounds more like MIRAGE to me.
TITN. "DES" was one of Lindsey's song's that would've made the solo album he so valiantly interrupted to once again save FM. "BoM" was the instrumental version of a demo that eventually became "Juliet" on Stevie's The Other Side of the Mirror.

Quote:
Umm…can I just say that I couldn’t be happier that ”What Has Rock and Roll” was NOT included on TANGO. I’m not sure even Lindsey could have saved that one.

matt
Agreed 100%.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
A few notes.

* As much of a die hard Stevie fan as I am, I can't even imagine the her extra vocals from the 12" mix of Little Lies being mixed into the original song. Maybe she did them just for the remix because I they seem just too energetic for the mellow nature of the song.
Oh she did them for the song! You don't go in to do a vocal just for a remix.They were her dumped parts,they're sped up on the 12'' to keep up with that Remix but pre-wiping of vocal they were to go right through the end of Little Lies final chorus right up to the fade..perfectly in with the song and sounding like a BAND.
It's a shame for sure.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh she did them for the song! You don't go in to do a vocal just for a remix.They were her dumped parts,they're sped up on the 12'' to keep up with that Remix but pre-wiping of vocal they were to go right through the end of Little Lies final chorus right up to the fade..perfectly in with the song and sounding like a BAND.
It's a shame for sure.
I would love to hear that. I wish there was a bootleg of that floating around.

Sometimes people do vocals just for a remix. Cyndi Lauper had a song on her Twelve Deadly Sins CD called Come On Home and she went into the studio with Junior Vasquez to add additional vocals for the club mix. Of course her club mixes sometimes charted higher in dance charts than some of her singles, so that may be why the extra attention.