Dreams
Gypsy
Sara
Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Noooooo. SYLM is an awesome song!
It truly is. SYLM is everything beautiful this line up has to offer.

Little Lies is iconic, but not in a good way, I don't think. In fact, I consider it more infamous than anything else.

I like Little Lies, for myself. At home, in the privacy of my own bedroom. I don't like the association it left in the public's mind about what this band is. I think Little Lies has had such a strong hand in shaping the perception of what kind of music these people put out. It's amazing what one little song can do. Well, Little Lies and Don't Stop too. That's a one-two punch that it's hard to recover from.

I like those two songs and am so thrilled about what the Clinton campaign did to reintroduce the world to FM and to each other, but I don't want FM to be defined by Little Lies and Don't Stop to the extent that it has been.

They're both iconic songs, no doubt. Michele
Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In no particular order:

1) Landslide
2) Rhiannon
3) The Chain
4) Go Your Own Way
5) Dreams
6) Don't Stop
7) Tusk
8) Little Lies
9) Gypsy
10) Gold Dust Woman
Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Little Lies is iconic, but not in a good way, I don't think. In fact, I consider it more infamous than anything else.

I like Little Lies, for myself. At home, in the privacy of my own bedroom. I don't like the association it left in the public's mind about what this band is. I think Little Lies has had such a strong hand in shaping the perception of what kind of music these people put out. It's amazing what one little song can do. Well, Little Lies and Don't Stop too. That's a one-two punch that it's hard to recover from.

I like those two songs and am so thrilled about what the Clinton campaign did to reintroduce the world to FM and to each other, but I don't want FM to be defined by Little Lies and Don't Stop to the extent that it has been.

Agreed. For better or worse, "Little Lies" and "Don't Stop" are two of their most recognizable songs. It also amazes me to see how many people seem to really enjoy "Don't Stop" performed live, even now.

I enjoy "Little Lies" for what it is (a sugary piece of 80s pop), but it's hardly the best the band has to offer.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
Agreed. For better or worse, "Little Lies" and "Don't Stop" are two of their most recognizable songs. It also amazes me to see how many people seem to really enjoy "Don't Stop" performed live, even now.
I guess I enjoy it ok live after two hours of very different music. It's a nice coda.

I just don't want to be on the street and say I'm an FM fan and have people say back, "oh, they do Don't Stop, right?" Uh, no.

Michele
Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Not necessarily your favorite songs, but the ones that made a strong impact on the public and are, in various ways, part of the popular imagination? Songs, too, that are emblematic of the eras when they were originally released...
If you mean public then I'm trying to think as a non-fan. So my list would be:

Dreams
Rhiannon
Don't Stop
Gypsy
Songbird
Go Your Own Way
Sara
Tusk
Everywhere
Big Love
Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess I enjoy it ok live after two hours of very different music. It's a nice coda.

I just don't want to be on the street and say I'm an FM fan and have people say back, "oh, they do Don't Stop, right?" Uh, no.

Michele
Agreed. Don't Stop has never done much for me. In fact, it makes me sad that it is the only song Christine will join the band to perform. Of her catalogue, all things considered, I know I should be grateful she's making an appearance at all. But Don't Stop, eh.

Do people in the U.S. think that Little Lies is still one of their most recognizable songs? People I know who are casual fans, my family for instance, is unfamiliar with Tango In The Night. My parents didn't know Everywhere and Big Love until we rewatched The Dance. I just think Little Lies is a standout song from 1980's Fleetwood Mac, and I do enjoy listening to it, but it's not quite in their upper tier of most iconic songs, the songs that the band will be remembered for. Gold Dust Woman, Gypsy, and Sara are ahead of it for me, as well as Say You Love Me, which is a classic song played at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. And begrudgingly, I must include Don't Stop in my top 10 because of the Clinton connection. I do think, if left up to the band members themselves, Little Lies would not be in their top 10 most iconic songs.

Last edited by bethelblues; 05-12-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Landslide
2. Go Your Own Way
3. Don't Stop
4. Dreams
5. Rhiannon
6. The Chain
7. Little Lies
8. Tusk
9. Sara
10. Albatross

Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Little Lies probably made the biggest impact as a single for Fleetwood Mac from the 80s. It's a great song. Their voices sound great together.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
The difference between nations is even greater than I thought, then. I grew up in Canada, but I guess in terms of music tastes that country is much closer to the UK than the US. SYLM and YMLF were unknown to me until I heard them on the albums. (And I actually think SYLM is best left forgotten, thank you very much ) Everywhere and Little Lies were ones I knew off by heart.
Those two songs made the biggest impact overseas.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
are ahead of it for me, as well as Say You Love Me, which is a classic song played at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. And begrudgingly, I must include Don't Stop in my top 10 because of the Clinton connection. I do think, if left up to the band members themselves, Little Lies would not be in their top 10 most iconic songs.
i know it's hard to get out of what we as individual fans think, but my understanding is that this thread is not about what's ahead for you or me or band members.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Little Lies probably made the biggest impact as a single for Fleetwood Mac from the 80s. It's a great song. Their voices sound great together.
I would agree that it was (past tense) the biggest hit in the 80s, but 25-30 years later, I think Gypsy is a much bigger song, at least in the US.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I would agree that it was (past tense) the biggest hit in the 80s, but 25-30 years later, I think Gypsy is a much bigger song, at least in the US.
Yeah, I would guess that is a US-specific thing. The Mirage songs don't have quite the same status in Europe, IMO. You will occasionally hear Gypsy or Hold Me, but far more frequently Little Lies and Everywhere.

Ps I realise we in the UK sent 'Oh Diane' way up the singles charts in he 80s to everyone's surprise, but you don't hear it so much now

Last edited by Ulpian; 05-12-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I don't. Little Lies far surpasses Gypsy in youtube hits.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I don't. Little Lies far surpasses Gypsy in youtube hits.
True. But popular does not necessarily mean iconic. Gypsy is arguably one of the strongest studio recordings and unarguably the best Fleetwood Mac music video. It is an iconic Stevie Nicks song.