The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Hole's GDW. But I am one of the few that like Courtney. It wasn't a true rendition of the song, but Clove's twisted take on it.
The worst imo is WP, GYOW. I can't stand them. I also love Corgin & the Pumpkins, but was never way smitten w/ his Landslide.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Best Cover: Camper Van Beethoven's Tusk. The whole album is really weird and cool.
Agreed! Amazing!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Waylon Jennings did two great covers of Fleetwood Mac songs, Rhiannon and Gold Dust Woman.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Worst: Duncan Sheik's cover of Songbird.
DITTO!

I usually like most covers (and allow a whole acreage of leeway for the others)...even the Patron Saints Of Pop album has some, well, let's say "interesting" takes on some songs, but I wouldn't fling the dung on 'em.

Elton's "Don't Stop" isn't as good as I would have expected, but I wouldn't consider it "awful", either. Ditto with Cyndi Lauper's "You Make Loving Fun".

KC & The Sunshine Band's version of "Don't Stop" is pretty good (and really don't care for them as a band)

The only "bad" version of "Oh Well" I've heard is by Kenny Wayne Shepard...somebody should've taken a sledgehammer to his fingers for that one.

The Melvins do a really cool cover of "Green Manalishi".

Leo Kottke does an awesome cover of "World Turning".

Dennis Brown (RIP) reggae'd out a laid back version of "Black Magic Woman".

Moody Blues guitarist Justin Hayward does a very Moody Blues-ish version of "Man Of The World".

The Pointer Sisters (!?!?!?) did a killer version of "Hypnotized".

Annie McLoone (ex-Walter Egan band'er) did a great cover of Christine's "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love"

And, without a doubt, Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman" is the most LUCRATIVE cover of a Fleetwood Mac song ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
I think the only person who has covered Christines Songbird was Eva cassidy and my god I have to say that her version is the best ever! So beautiful!!
Ummmm...no. There've been a bunch of "Songbird" covers:

Willie Nelson's being one of the more recent.

Rita Coolidge also covered it on her Love Me Again album from 1978...so hers is one of the first covers of the song.

In between those two have been numerous others. I would consider Eva's to be the best of 'em all...even give it a slight edge over Christine's own, as well.

Last edited by chiliD; 07-31-2008 at 11:34 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I have got to say that I really love Matchbox Twenty's NGBA.

I'm not saying it's better than the original or anything, but I'm saying that it has the alienated tone of someone who really is never going back.

Lindsey sings it a different way. In fact, he defines the song (as finding joy in love after thinking you never would again) in a manner that is exactly the opposite of what I think the song is about on its own. So, when he sings it he interprets it one way and Matchbox's version is on the other side of the spectrum. I really enjoy the different approach they bring to it. But I admit that I like Rob Thomas' voice anyway. So, he can draw me in rather easily.

Michele
That one is my favorite tune too. I liked how they blended it with "The Chain" at the end. That piano solo rocks! I mean, is there a BAD Matchbox Twenty song?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
DITTO!

I usually like most covers (and allow a whole acreage of leeway for the others)...even the Patron Saints Of Pop album has some, well, let's say "interesting" takes on some songs, but I wouldn't fling the dung on 'em.

Elton's "Don't Stop" isn't as good as I would have expected, but I wouldn't consider it "awful", either. Ditto with Cyndi Lauper's "You Make Loving Fun".

KC & The Sunshine Band's version of "Don't Stop" is pretty good (and really don't care for them as a band)

The only "bad" version of "Oh Well" I've heard is by Kenny Wayne Shepard...somebody should've taken a sledgehammer to his fingers for that one.

Moody Blues guitarist Justin Hayward does a very Moody Blues-ish version of "Man Of The World".

Annie McLoone (ex-Walter Egan band'er) did a great cover of Christine's "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love"

And, without a doubt, Santana's version of "Black Magic Woman" is the most LUCRATIVE cover of a Fleetwood Mac song ever.

Rita Coolidge also covered it on her Love Me Again album from 1978...so hers is one of the first covers of the song.

In between those two have been numerous others. I would consider Eva's to be the best of 'em all...even give it a slight edge over Christine's own, as well.
Annie also did some production on my album too. If you visit my website, the production on the song that plays was partly hers.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
I like Hole's GDW. But I am one of the few that like Courtney. It wasn't a true rendition of the song, but Clove's twisted take on it.
The worst imo is WP, GYOW. I can't stand them. I also love Corgin & the Pumpkins, but was never way smitten w/ his Landslide.
There was another version of Go Your Own Way by NOFX, which was silly, but the guitarwork was amazing. I am also probably one of the 5 people that liked Wilson Phillips cover of it too.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite cover is my own version of Station Man & Steal Your Heart.

I also like Dreams by Letters to Clio.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, if we're going down THAT road, I've always thought MY version of "Bermuda Triangle" was better than the original.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Well, if we're going down THAT road, I've always thought MY version of "Bermuda Triangle" was better than the original.

Hell, I can kick Lindsey's a$$ on Big Love if we can count ourselves!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
I mean, is there a BAD Matchbox Twenty song?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Ledgie

Yeah, I quickly learned that since starting this thread, I had no idea so many FM's songs have been covered.

Man, I think Eva cassidys version of SB is the only cover that could bring a grown man to tears. Damn, what emotion she brings to that song! Very moving.

I'd be curious to know what Christine thought of her cover---no doubt proud I would say!

Quote:
DITTO!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post

I'd be curious to know what Christine thought of her cover---no doubt proud I would say!
According to Mick she loved it

Gail
Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[I haven't heard the cover, but I already resent the review. Lyndsey, eh, didn't just record the song, did he?]

Drowned in Sound review of Darren Haymen album:

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/3756778

The other three see Hayman perform his own unique versions of Connie Francis standard 'V.A.C.A.T.I.O.N.' and, perhaps more impressively, the jaunty 'Holiday Road', previously recorded by Fleetwood Mac's Lyndsey Buckingham but perhaps better known as the theme from National Lampoon's Vacation flick, along with Chas and Dave's 'Margate', which compares the run-down Kent resort to the Costa Brava and naturally beats it hands down.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

I would go with Judas Priest's version of the Green Manalishi. Most metal heads think that Priest wrote that song. When they hear it was a Fleetwood Mac song they start scratching their heads.

Not sure about the worse Fleetwood Mac cover.