User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
But how do you keep a band together if they're not doing regular touring? A few gigs here and there won't put food on the table. It's the same issue, all through Kolors, Splinter Group and Friends.
This is a very good point!! Hopefully the Friends have regular daytime jobs and are able to take time off when/if any abroad tours take place. The personell did change a bit,didn't it? Some stand-ins to step in then somebody's schedule doesn't work.
Anyway, the most important thing is that they care for Peter and realize that this is not going to make them rich. I hope Mike Dodds has made that clear...

MARIO: Wonderful news!! Thanks again!

Last edited by dansven; 12-29-2010 at 05:41 AM..
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Mario,

I imagine that this has been covered before, but how do you know Peter? Just curious.

Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Regards,
Hitch
Actually I have meet Peter only twice, both in Milan, the first time back in 1997 and then last November 2009....

But Peter knows who I am because of Martin Celmins, he told Peter about myself....

Mario.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Actually I have meet Peter only twice, both in Milan, the first time back in 1997 and then last November 2009....

But Peter knows who I am because of Martin Celmins, he told Peter about myself....

Mario.
Which, of course, begs the question, "What is your connection with Martin Celmins?"
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by librax2 View Post
Which, of course, begs the question, "What is your connection with Martin Celmins?"
My connection with Martin started back in 1995 when the first edition of the
"Biography" came out.

A common friend here in Italy gave me his phone number and that's was the very beginnning.....

I do remember I first rang Martin the day after the SG gig in Guilford, July 1996, if I'm not wrong...

Mario.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Ledgie

If you have a good day job, it is possible to be in a 'part time' band which engages in a short tour or two every year totalling perhaps 20 gigs in an entire year. Peter isn't short of money, but it is possible that the other guys in PG&F might need the financial rewards of a more full time gigging schedule.

I do wonder if Peter might do better recording in the studio at his own leisure? But then his studio recordings with PGSG weren't stellar, for the most part. On a good day, Peter really seems to enjoy performing live.

The most important thing is that Peter is always treated with respect, and that his wellbeing is paramount. The late Cozy Powell said as much in the very early PGSG days.

Some years ago I bumped int Neil Murray just after he'd finished working with PGSG and he said that working with Peter was more of a challange than most musicians but it was very rewarding and often fun. He'd have continued longer if he didn't have other commitments. I didn't ask explicitely about Peter's mental health issues but Neil did allude to having to make allowances for Peter's condition, and that they'd rehearsed more old FM material than was actually performed on stage because Peter didn't want to delve back into the FM canon too much. But Neil was adamant that he'd had a good time in PGSG and that Peter was making great progress with his playing as he regained confidence. Its not well known but in his teenage years, Murray was quite a FM fan, he told me of playig "Oh Well" at loud volume in his school dorm.

I can see how PGSG simply got too big. Peter Green never wanted to be a star, but he does want to play. Something Mick Fleetwood said back in 1995 "Pete's actually playing again. You won't see him back in the showbiz sense of the word but he's doing what God put him on earth to do"

OK I'll stop rambling.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default performing regularly

I can not hope to speak for all musicians but I am going to try to give some insight into people I have been around. As you get older there are many more issues that you have to deal with on a mundane level before you even consider touring regularly. I know a few very good musicians in their 60s who just don't have the will ore desire to live on the road. Why is it that there are so many songs written about being on the road so long and wanting to get back home....from 20 year olds.

There are very few people with the temperment of, lets day, Richard Thompson, if you look at their tour schedule is in the range of 250 dates a year. He says he lives for the road and would be a fair vendor in a circus if he was not a performer because he loves the gypsy life. BB King also lives for the road even at his age.

Would you say that eric clapton has the same schedule now? Actually look at how few dates he actually plays. A lot of local talent who make their living doing this do not have the luxury of making the choice no matter what physical or mental shape they are in. I am not yet 59 (close though) and it is all I can do to get myself together for playing four nights a week with my wife and still have a sane life. And I donot have the burdens of "legend" status nor the expectations waiting for me when I go to play. I can just imagine what Peter must be experiencing every time he goes out. God bless him for being willing to do it at all.

doodyhead, mel and vinnie