User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Really? Why would that surprise you? I’ve always been a fan of all the different eras of Fleetwood Mac, and Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are certainly beyond worthy additions. I probably wouldn’t be as down with it if they had gotten subpar talents (and I was very worried/skeptical about who they’d get for second new guy), but they didn’t this time, which actually surprised me. For all they do wrong, I cannot think of better choices to bring into Fleetwood Mac.

Lindsey and Stevie were never the main attraction for me, which isn’t to say that I didn’t love what they brought to the band or that the Rumours lineup wasn’t the best overall version of the band. But, the English contingent were the primary draw for me, and I think the other versions were also great.

I don’t know enough of what went on behind the scenes to know how it all went down to have an absolute, definite opinion about what happened, but I’ve been around or a part of enough bands to know that band politics is a reality for all bands. I’m open to there being a scenario where they just wanted different things and couldn’t resolve their differences.

I also have to say that a little Lindsey goes a long way for me these days. His sui generis production style seems to have been stunted after “Go Insane.” My big gripe with LBCM is how you couldn’t really hear their voices together. Ditch the effing Fairlight already! Be old and mature! Listen to later Peter, Paul, & Mary. They might not sound as good as when they were in their prime, but their voices still had the passion in what they were singing and still sounded great together. Top 40 waved bye-bye long ago, so quit trying to make Pet Sounds. And, I get lots of bands do it, but I never want to ask if it was live or if it was Memorex during a Fleetwood Mac-related show, or worse, know the answer.

His excessive use of psychobabble for banter is brutal for me as a social worker, but even moreso as a friend of someone who has the greatest banter in rock (he has two albums of just his banter). Just say thanks for coming to the show and rock. Nobody cares. He comes off less as enlightened as he does pompous and oblivious. At least Mick waits until the show is over!

And, it’s not like we wouldn’t have gotten near note-for-note versions of IAS, Tusk, SHN, Big Love, GYOW, and probably NGBA that we’ve been hearing for decades now. Maybe a slight variation here or there, but those variations have been sketchy for me, especially Tusk. Going softer isn’t rock! I’m okay with not hearing those in lieu of other songs and having a scenario where the band can’t be on autopilot.

If anything, I’m more surprised by your reaction. I remember when you felt that SYW was basically just Buckingham Nicks II, that it wasn’t Fleetwood Mac without Christine, and that “Mystery…” was the Mac at their pinnacle. I didn’t realize you were such a Lindsey fan. If nothing else, for sixteen years, but really more like 23 years, I wanted Christine back on stage. She’s back, now, and still has a great band up there with her. Good enough reason for me.

Yes. This time around, they got guys who’ve had legendary careers, not glorified sidemen.

I don’t think it’s that static, and I don’t think it really matters. A good show has a flow to it.
I don't have time to respond to a book. I wish I did.

I get it that you've appreciated many lineups, as have I? But again, this isn't 30 years ago. They're a LEGACY act now, and most(IMO) of those tickets sales are for THE LEGACY. The FIVE fireflies. It's too late for reinvention now. That's only cheapening the brand, and how it will be remembered.

Lindsey does babble on, I will give you that. Regurgitating the same old spiel. It wears on me, too. BUT, I allow him that, if I can allow an old fool to twirl around like an idiot.

I hated SYW, and still hate SYW. I like maybe 4-5 songs, and that's being generous. Rumours band without Christine is like....well.....SYW(crap).

Lindsey was always my second favorite(in the past decade or so), after Chris, UNTIL the Bob Welch HOF story. I still held her up there, but began having serious doubts. After Lindsey's firing, I'm over her. "Super Woman"? Company shill now....I've never been more disappointed in a human being in my life, than her just sitting back and taking his firing.

AGAIN, it's to late for reinvention. YES, YOUR GBV AND BOB can reinvent themselves until they're covered with dirt, and good for them. But this ain't no indie band. They needed to end their legacy as the legacy that really defined them.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Destiny Rules" and "Running Through the Garden" were dropped from the SYW tour rather quickly.

The fact is that despite the new narrative, those who remember the interviews where Stevie talked about how it was a bad idea to add more than four songs from Rumours during the 1977 tour know that it's simply not true that she's been gung-ho about taking risks with the FM setlist, despite what she's done on her own tours.

Additional thoughts on the topic....

I believe they will indeed play "Station Man." Stevie made an effort to bring it up (although she embarrassed herself with her inaccurate pegging of it as a Christine song) and now with Danny Kirwan's death, it's especially relevant.

"Oh Well" will be there, of course, but that was there with Lindsey, despite the collective amnesia about doing old songs with him in the band.

I think they will probably do "Black Magic Woman" and maybe one more old song, but I doubt they'll do more than four. I doin't think they'll drop them. Neil Finn needs something to do that's not a Lindsey song. He brings nothing Mac-related to the table unless they do new music, which will presumably be performed.

I'm sure they'll do "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Mike Campbell on vocals, the latter probably preceded by several minutes of Stevie talking about how Tom Petty's death affected her personally. This speech will probably become longer and longer as the tour progresses, until it reaches the double digits.

"Stand Back" will perhaps also find its way into the setlist again. As to whether they'll do any more solo songs in addition to those two... perhaps one more, but I doubt any more than that.

It would be a pleasant surprise if she pulls out a never-before-performed Fleetwood Mac song, unless it's a song where Lindsey's part is prominent. Then, it would be lame.

They need to ditch any signature Lindsey/Stevie songs like "Silver Springs", "Gypsy", and "Landslide." Unfortunately, I fear they'll keep "Landslide" with Mike Campbell, and Stevie will do some icky kind of "cuddle Mike from behind as if he's Lindsey" thing, reinforcing the whole "I've replaced Lindsey" angle.

"World Turning" and Mick's extended drum solo, complete with him prancing about and spitting for an extended period from center stage, will no doubt be featured once more.

I'm sure there will be a shameless performance of "The Chain."

Obviously they'll do the big hits including "Go Your Own Way" despite it being a Lindsey song and of course all of Stevie and Christine's hits, including "Don't Stop."

I think "Songbird" will never be performed again.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-12-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
"Destiny Rules" and "Running Through the Garden" were dropped from the SYW tour rather quickly.

The fact is that despite the new narrative, those who remember the interviews where Stevie talked about how it was a bad idea to add more than four songs from Rumours during the 1977 tour know that it's simply not true that she's been gung-ho about taking risks with the FM setlist, despite what she's done on her own tours.

Additional thoughts on the topic....

I believe they will indeed play "Station Man." Stevie made an effort to bring it up (although she embarrassed herself with her inaccurate pegging of it as a Christine song) and now with Danny Kirwan's death, it's especially relevant.

"Oh Well" will be there, of course, but that was there with Lindsey, despite the collective amnesia about doing old songs with him in the band.

I think they will probably do "Black Magic Woman" and maybe one more old song, but I doubt they'll do more than four. I doin't think they'll drop them. Neil Finn needs something to do that's not a Lindsey song. He brings nothing Mac-related to the table unless they do new music, which will presumably be performed.

I'm sure they'll do "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Mike Campbell on vocals, the latter probably preceded by several minutes of Stevie talking about how Tom Petty's death affected her personally. This speech will probably become longer and longer as the tour progresses, until it reaches the double digits.

"Stand Back" will perhaps also find its way into the setlist again. As to whether they'll do any more solo songs in addition to those two... perhaps one more, but I doubt any more than that.

It would be a pleasant surprise if she pulls out a never-before-performed Fleetwood Mac song, unless it's a song where Lindsey's part is prominent. Then, it would be lame.

They need to ditch any signature Lindsey/Stevie songs like "Silver Springs", "Gypsy", and "Landslide." Unfortunately, I fear they'll keep "Landslide" with Mike Campbell, and Stevie will do some icky kind of "cuddle Mike from behind as if he's Lindsey" thing, reinforcing the whole "I've replaced Lindsey" angle.

"World Turning" and Mick's extended drum solo, complete with him prancing about and spitting for an extended period from center stage, will no doubt be featured once more.

I'm sure there will be a shameless performance of "The Chain."

Obviously they'll do the big hits including "Go Your Own Way" despite it being a Lindsey song and of course all of Stevie and Christine's hits, including "Don't Stop."

I think "Songbird" will never be performed again.
This is a well written post and you make compelling points. I don't agree that Landslide and especially Gypsy are considered Stevie and Lindsey signature songs, though. Silver Springs, yes, Landslide and Gypsy, no. That's a matter of opinion, though, no wrong and no right.

I think Lindsey may not have ever wanted to do Oh Well again since the Dance, the last time he sang it was for the Mirage tour. It's a song I could do without on the set list, but I don't hate it.

Curious why you think Christine won't do Songbird? Because she isn't playing keyboards like she used to? Maybe they could use guitar instead. I would be ok without it, but it's a little hard for me to imagine she won't perform it.

I do think Stevie will pull out at least one rarely performed song, either Angel, That's Alright, or I Don't Want any to Know.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I think Lindsey may not have ever wanted to do Oh Well again since the Dance, the last time he sang it was for the Mirage tour. It's a song I could do without on the set list, but I don't hate it.
They played "Oh Well" as recently as 2009, actually.

Quote:

Curious why you think Christine won't do Songbird? Because she isn't playing keyboards like she used to? Maybe they could use guitar instead. I would be ok without it, but it's a little hard for me to imagine she won't perform it.
When they dropped "Songbird" during the last tour, I kept hoping it was temporary and would come back when the "hand injury" healed, but it never did. It seemed to me that Christine just didn't want to do it anymore; the hand injury allowed her to break that tradition and once the tradition had been broken, she didn't want to bring it back.

Maybe Christine didn't want to do "Songbird" because of difficulty with the playing, or maybe it was because her voice is out there all alone during that song and there's no disguising any missteps. While those things can be fixed with changed arrangements, I think they'll just go the route of leaving it off entirely. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
I do think Stevie will pull out at least one rarely performed song, either Angel, That's Alright, or I Don't Want any to Know.
Lindsey has a prominent role in the latter two; the first started out as a BN song. It would also be pretty ironic to do IDWTK since it is the only Rumours song that has not been performed live.

What would really be appropriate would be to do "No Questions Asked" or "Paper Doll" - those are strong post-Lindsey songs and they've never been done before, to my knowledge.

Regarding older songs, apparently it's a done deal that they are doing "Rattlesnake Shake." I have no idea why Stevie is down with this when she was against "Come." Does she not know what it is about?? So gross.

If I were Neil, I would be "Um, Mick, I really would rather not sing about you doing that...how about Heart Beat Like A Hammer...Loved Another Woman...Stop Messin' Round... Love That Burns... I'll even just stand over here silently and we can all play Fighting for Madge... anything but Rattlesnake Shake...."

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-12-2018 at 01:49 PM..
Old 06-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Regarding older songs, apparently it's a done deal that they are doing "Rattlesnake Shake." I have no idea why Stevie is down with this when she was against "Come." Does she not know what it is about?? So gross.
Maybe the visual image of one of the great loves of her life spanking it doesn’t repulse her.

Quote:
If I were Neil, I would be "Um, Mick, I really would rather not sing about you doing that...how about Heart Beat Like A Hammer...Loved Another Woman...Stop Messin' Round... Love That Burns... I'll even just stand over here silently and we can all play Fighting for Madge... anything but Rattlesnake Shake...."
I’m betting Mike sings it for some reason.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think Stevie was appalled with Come as she believed it was written about her, despite Lindsey saying it wasn't.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe the visual image of one of the great loves of her life spanking it doesn’t repulse her. :shrug
Laugh out loud
Old 06-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I’m betting Mike sings it for some reason.
Did he sing "Rattlesnake Shake" the last time they performed it?

Anyway, to sum up, the songs I think they will do, in no particular order:

Don't Dream It's Over
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Stand Back
Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake
Station Man
Black Magic Woman
The Chain
Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop
World Turning
Dreams
Rhiannon
Sara
Sisters of the Moon
Gold Dust Woman
Say You Love Me
You Make Lovin' Fun
Everywhere
Over My Head
[I don't want it, but I fear they'll do Landslide and/or Gypsy, esp. Landslide]
[Two new songs if they release any]
[one never-before-performed-FM song or rarely performed FM song from Stevie - I would rather No Questions Asked or Paper Doll but they will probably do Angel if they do this]
[Maybe another Stevie solo song and/or Petty cover]

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-12-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Old 06-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did he sing "Rattlesnake Shake" the last time they performed it?
The last time Fleetwood Mac performed it, Rick Vito sang it. The only Peter Green songs I know Mike has played publicly are Oh Well (Tom with TPATH, Mike with Dirty Knobs) and Man Of The World with Neil Finn (Neil).

I just can’t imagine Neil singing it and I can’t imagine Mike not singing it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
I think Stevie was appalled with Come as she believed it was written about her, despite Lindsey saying it wasn't.
I don't think she actually thought it was about her, she probably just thought it was too sexual. She doesn't like Tusk either for that same reason ('real savage like').
Old 06-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
This is a well written post and you make compelling points. I don't agree that Landslide and especially Gypsy are considered Stevie and Lindsey signature songs, though. Silver Springs, yes, Landslide and Gypsy, no. That's a matter of opinion, though, no wrong and no right.

I think Landslide comes across as very S&L esque song because of what it was written about, the famous guitar parts on that song were written by him and how the means of performing it with just her and her guitarist, very kind of close and intimate started with them. And it's always easy for me at least to tell when he's playing or when it's someone else. BUT she's performed it so many times now with so many different people it's kind of lost that.
Gypsy on the other hand, also for what the song is about and the beautiful guitar on it, but the thing about Gypsy for me at least is that I've absolutely hated every single live version she does of it with her solo band. I don't know why the heck Waddy butchers it like that. I still shudder when I think about the WH tour version of it. If they do perform it on this tour I hope that Mike and Neil can figure out SOMETHING better than that. Lindsey's guitar/playing is very unique and special for that song yes but that god awful keyboard heavy, altered guitar riff literally ruins the whole song.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The last time Fleetwood Mac performed it, Rick Vito sang it. The only Peter Green songs I know Mike has played publicly are Oh Well (Tom with TPATH, Mike with Dirty Knobs) and Man Of The World with Neil Finn (Neil).

I just can’t imagine Neil singing it and I can’t imagine Mike not singing it.
Sorry, I misread your initial post as speculating that Mick would sing it. Now I understand!

Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Regarding older songs, apparently it's a done deal that they are doing "Rattlesnake Shake." I have no idea why Stevie is down with this when she was against "Come." Does she not know what it is about??
They should bring Harold the Dildo back as a full member.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Now there's a band member replacement I can get behind.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
IIRC, Harold was quite a bit more than a full member.

THE Stephen Hopkins