Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well here is the thing...

They are using the facts that Straight Outta Compton and Will Smith were not nominated for Oscars to prove that the Oscars are racist. But did they deserve to be...

Did Straight Outta Compton deserve to be nominated for Best Picture? = According to film critics, NO. According to film critics, it was only the 68th best reviewed picture of last year. In other words, there were 67 movies that were better than it.

Did Will Smith deserve a nomination for Best Actor? = probably not. He was criticized for his Nigerian accent in the movie. He was not nominated for many of the major awards this year. He got nominated for some Black Awards and for a Golden Globe. However, the Golden Globes nominate 10 actors for best actor and split them into two categories, Comedy and Drama. He had more of a chance to get the nomination. I'm sure that his family and employees told him that he deserved to get a nomination, but that doesn't mean he deserved one.

So why the outrage...

They wanted people to vote for Straight Outta Compton simply because it was a black movie, which is very racist in itself.

And, the President of the Academy is a black woman who wants quotas for the Oscars. She bitched and moaned last year because of the nominations and nothing much changed.

So, lets make some new categories to solve the problem. We can have a category for Actresses and then one for Blacktresses. We can also have a category for Actors and then Blacktors. This is really what we are talking about. So much for integration... Oh wait, now that is real racist.

Next year, when no black actresses or actors are nominated, there is going to be even more change to the Acedemy, until one year, all the members of the Academy are going to be required to take Black History, so that they UNDERSTAND why their vote should be a politically correct and RIGHT one. If they don't, they are simply a bunch of racist.

Last edited by Jondalar; 01-25-2016 at 12:21 AM..
Old 01-25-2016, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://thesource.com/2016/01/24/dann...ch-of-racists/

Danny DeVito Speaks Up on Oscar Controversy: “We’re a Bunch of Racists”

Actor Danny DeVito has always packed a surplus of brash personality on the big screen, and it seems his blunt attitude has no problem translating over into the real world.

It was this weekend at the Sundance Film Festival that DeVito, an Oscar nominee himself, spoke out against the shutting out of Black actors in the 2016 Academy Awards nominations.

“We are living in a country that discriminates and has certain racial tendencies which — racist tendencies — so sometimes it’s manifested in things like this and it’s illuminated, but just generally speaking we’re a racist — we’re a bunch of racists.”
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
b) there's less opportunity for black actors to fill top roles.
This is exactly the issue. You can't get a nomination for a role you aren't' cast in, and those trying to make this about "quotas" and "political correctness" are missing the point.

The casts of Hollywood movies are overwhelmingly white, when we live in a society that isn't (unless you live in small town America and then perhaps you're really ignorant of just how many black people there are) and unless a movie is made by a black director, chances are any black cast members will fill stereotyped roles: slaves, maids, thugs, drug dealers, trouble teens, basketball players, rappers.

It's quite gross, actually.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-25-2016, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
This is exactly the issue. You can't get a nomination for a role you aren't' cast in, and those trying to make this about "quotas" and "political correctness" are missing the point.

The casts of Hollywood movies are overwhelmingly white, when we live in a society that isn't (unless you live in small town America and then perhaps you're really ignorant of just how many black people there are) and unless a movie is made by a black director, chances are any black cast members will fill stereotyped roles: slaves, maids, thugs, drug dealers, trouble teens, basketball players, rappers.

It's quite gross, actually.
You can't boycott over an issue and then say that is not the real issue... Your missing the point. No one owes you a job or an award. Racist Hollywood made Will Smith rich.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What does burn me up is how these unknowns get up front for nomination or win on any awards shows.I have to agree with my friend .I still think these shows are fixed.

I remember in the 1990's watching the Grammys and a young women that nobody never heard and came out from nowhere and won.I cant think of her name right now but she played the piano.I was pissed.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So...check this out.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...edium=Facebook

I personally think this is a fitting choice - Michael Jackson was a weird man, and this is bound to be a weird movie, but there are folks who are going to have fits over this.

Quote:
JOSEPH Fiennes has confirmed he’s the unlikely choice to play Michael Jackson in a bizarre new road trip comedy based on real-life events.

The Shakespeare in Love star will tackle the King of Pop in a new movie about a cross-country trip Jackson took with Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor from New York to Los Angeles when planes were momentarily grounded following the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the Big Apple.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Well here is the thing...

Next year, when no black actresses or actors are nominated, there is going to be even more change to the Acedemy, until one year, all the members of the Academy are going to be required to take Black History, so that they UNDERSTAND why their vote should be a politically correct and RIGHT one. If they don't, they are simply a bunch of racist.
Either that or "50 Shades of Black" will get a best picture nomination, and Tyler Perry will get nominated for Best Actor (or actress?) for his role in Madea goes to Mars.

It kind of does seem unfair to expect an awards show to change the criteria instead of making movies that meet the criteria.

I think it was BS for Ice Cube to make the comment that they should have had a slave in their movie and they would have gotten a nomination. If he was referring to 12 years a slave, that's like saying it wasn't about the amazing performances as much as it was just about the subject matter.

Honestly, I rarely enjoy the films that are nominated if I even see them. I did see "Room" and thought Jacob Tremblay was really good. I thought "Revenant" was visually very good, but about an hour too long. I don't really understand how you can judge films when everyone's tastes are different. I would have given the oscar for Best Picture to "Halloween" (1978).
Old 01-28-2016, 03:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well the Oscars are sort of ruined. They should be called the Black Entitlement Awards. Next year Kanya West should host.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Or...maybe...more minority actors will be cast, in a society an industry that is supposedly not racist and claims to be colorblind, and then the nominations will reflect the actual diversity of our country.

This isn't about elevating blacks over whites, or enforcing black culture, or suppressing whites, which is what some of you are making it out to be.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well the Oscars are sort of ruined. They should be called the Black Entitlement Awards. Next year Kanya West should host.
Nice one. Black folks 'ruined' the Oscars. What a surprise coming from you.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooh .This thread is turning into a HOT topic.I hope it dont get worse .Everybody should get a chance with these and dont matter who and what they are.

I found this on Wikipedia .
How people get nominated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards#Nomination

Its up to those members to vote for the nominees .

Maybe they should open the nominations to the public .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Nice one. Black folks 'ruined' the Oscars. What a surprise coming from you.
Like I posted earlier. It's not the award shows.. I am fascinated by the sheeple who are lead by the media
Old 01-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Ooh .This thread is turning into a HOT topic.I hope it dont get worse .Everybody should get a chance with these and dont matter who and what they are.

I found this on Wikipedia .
How people get nominated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards#Nomination

Its up to those members to vote for the nominees .

Maybe they should open the nominations to the public .
I know people who can vote, they don't always do and some of them like taking a test they didn't study for they just scroll through the nominees quickly and check off ones that look familiar ,names that they've heard or just randomly but I know other people who actually put a lot of effort into their vote

Last edited by olive; 01-28-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Or...maybe...more minority actors will be cast, in a society an industry that is supposedly not racist and claims to be colorblind, and then the nominations will reflect the actual diversity of our country.

This isn't about elevating blacks over whites, or enforcing black culture, or suppressing whites, which is what some of you are making it out to be.
Nobody claims to be color blind. There is the BET cannel... Like Stacey Dash says it's a complete double standard.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nobody claims to be color blind. There is the BET cannel... Like Stacey Dash says it's a complete double standard.
I had a similar conversation with my partner regarding BET and Lifetime Television for Women. I said, "you know, we could never have a WET channel, or Testosterone Network for Men" without someone protesting. He said "Well, ESPN is a men's channel". I told him that assuming sports are only enjoyed by men is a stereotype in itself, but the point is they can't CALL it television for men.

But I agree with what people are saying in terms of the issue being with quality roles being filled by minorities. That also requires minorities to go after them, or make those types of movies, and not "Scary movie pt. 9".