The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Junior Ledgie

When I See You Again. It's just painful to my ears. I actually like Affairs of the Heart and No Questions Asked. I wonder what Lindsey's magic might have done to those to improve them.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted57 View Post
I actually like Affairs of the Heart and No Questions Asked. I wonder what Lindsey's magic might have done to those to improve them.
You know, after the first section I dont think its too bad a song;

One set of doors was the colour of honey
One set of doors was pink and grey

That's just really shocking colour matching- pink, grey and honey. Yuck. Every time I listen to that song I get fixated on that colour scheme and think she's actually got no flair for interior design whatsoever. I lose interest in the rest of the song after that.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
Affairs of the Heart, Freedom (yet I love her other BTM contributions) and that's about it.
I put her songs that pull from literary works in a different category. Yeah, they're kind of funky, but I love to hear what she's reading.

Freedom:
"Dim and wavering on a wind-blown night / Whose honour, whose anger"

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde):
"Dim and wavering as was the windblown light, yet it served to show him the hideous error"
Old 01-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

That's just really shocking colour matching- pink, grey and honey. Yuck. Every time I listen to that song I get fixated on that colour scheme and think she's actually got no flair for interior design whatsoever. I lose interest in the rest of the song after that.
One set of doors was the colour of winter wheat
One set of doors was beige and beige
Old 01-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
When I see you again
and
Welcome to the room sara

These songs seem like they were written in 5 minutes. Little time was spent on them lyrically and musically and it shows. When I see you again was mailed to the Mac when Stevie was high as a kite on the Rock A Little tour. Welcome to the room Sara seems like a rushed demo song about Stevie's short rehab stint. The song is weak lyrically and does not have much to offer musically. The album cut is not far from the demo. And that is not a good thing.
I disagree about WTTRS being weak lyrically. It's actually a pretty literal and compelling telling of what went on with the intervention (which she always leaves out of her version of the story since) and trip to rehab... But I agree musically it's just a mess. The calypso-ish music just doesn't fit.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love about all her Mac stuff.....ok, Wassamatta Baby probably the worst.

She saves her best worst stuff for her solo work.

Jane.

I'd listen to "Wassamatta baby" a hundred times over than the damn chimp song.

Blue Lamp.

Lyrically-- Mabel Normand. Love what Waddy and Dave did with the arrangement on 24k and it's quite listenable there, but the words are a total drugged hallucination of random thought fragments.

I Don't Care. She's right, I really don't.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I actually had fun roaming the Pantone site trying possible colors combinations for this three colors. The one I like the best for now it's this:

Old 01-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I actually had fun roaming the Pantone site trying possible colors combinations for this three colors. The one I like the best for now it's this:
Well now, when you put it like that...not too bad at all. Maybe she was on to something- might look good in my dining room. I see this song in a completely different light. It's genius.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I put her songs that pull from literary works in a different category. Yeah, they're kind of funky, but I love to hear what she's reading.

Freedom:
"Dim and wavering on a wind-blown night / Whose honour, whose anger"

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde):
"Dim and wavering as was the windblown light, yet it served to show him the hideous error"
Very interesting, I was aware of some other references in her songs, but considering how much I love The Picture of Dorian Gray I can't believe I missed this one! The other Dorian Gray references come in Paper Doll (one of my very most favourites) and *I think* Rooms on Fire? I'm not sure, I'd have to look again. Oh, and Tragedy of One's Own Soul

Actually, I love the lyrics to these songs, just the music doesn't match or something.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Well now, when you put it like that...not too bad at all. Maybe she was on to something- might look good in my dining room. I see this song in a completely different light. It's genius.
Ah ah ah, if you're interested, the colors are "honey gold" "warm grey 1" and "vintage rose"
Old 01-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I disagree about WTTRS being weak lyrically. It's actually a pretty literal and compelling telling of what went on with the intervention (which she always leaves out of her version of the story since) and trip to rehab... But I agree musically it's just a mess. The calypso-ish music just doesn't fit.
after reading SN's explanation of her Beautiful Child lyrics and i think LB's of her Storms or one of the other Tusk song lyrics, i am now enjoying seeing people deciphering that completely literal re-telling of some conversations from her life in some of her songs.

i think if you have interest in SN as a person, those kinds of lyrics and knowing how they came about / what events or conversations they transmit, those have to be a treasure trove.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

... and i won't be picking "the worst song" from any of the 3 writers, since i simply don't listen to the songs that i consider bad, and i think all 3 rumours-era mac songwriters probably have plenty of those.

i do have to say that looking at people's choices, the titles of these threads really should't be necessarily "the worst" since while some people list really bad songs, others list spectacular and objectively boundary-pushing songs that they personally just don't like.

that said, my problem or disinterest with a lot of SN's songs is what i perceive as non-interesting, boring, not melodic enough or repetitive music, and in many cases basically reciting lyrics to some background music. in all Bowie's quotes that have been floating around this week, this one from 1980 kinda encapsulates my issue:

“It makes me so angry that people concentrate on lyrics. It implies there’s no message in the music itself.”

to me, when i listen to the song, my focus is on music, not lyrics.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-17-2016, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tie between When I See You Again and The Second Time.

*gags*
Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I agree .Whats with all the negativity with these "WORST_Fill in the blank______ Mac Song" threads lately.

Wheres the love for our favorite band.
Agreed - more love! I am new to posting here - so am wondering - where would I find the thread to post a fond memory of hearing my first Fleetwood Mac song? and all the beautiful first listens after?
Old 01-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's interesting to me that most of the songs picked in this thread really just have horrible music or production. As a writer, Stevie is consistently great.

I'm not a fan of the way Paper Doll, Welcome To The Room Sara, or Goodbye Baby turned out, but all three could have been great songs.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case