The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Live album version was cleaned up in the studio, but to be honest, I also love the bootleg version from that Cleveland show. It isn't radically different. I have always had a soft spot for the Yokohama and Melbourne Sara's from 1980.

One of the things missing from any Sara post-1980 is right after the "when you build your house..." part, during the Tusk tour they (always sounds like Stevie and Lindsey to me) did this, "ohhhhhhh, Saraaaaaaaaaaaa" thing for a few measures before heading into the "all I ever wanted was to know that you were dreaming" and then the ending. In 1982 it just went into a short guitar solo and then ended. It's not bad per se, but I'd describe it as half-assing what, to me, was the best part of the song.

The modern ones (since she resurrected it in 2004) aren't bad...but nothing has come close to the Tusk Tour versions.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillOfTheNight View Post
What?! It's studio dubbed? I'm just finding this out, that really disappoints me, that was one of my favorite versions.
yes. If you find the bootleg versions of the Saint Louis Sara and compare, it mostly the same instrumental parts, but they rerecorded Stevie's vocals and layered Christine and Linds over. It is not THAT different, but noticeable. Most of LIVE was dubbed or sweetened in the studio. Same with The Dance. Lets not forget that Soundstage Sessions was pretty much entirely recorded in Nashville and then lipsynched.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
yes. If you find the bootleg versions of the Saint Louis Sara and compare, it mostly the same instrumental parts, but they rerecorded Stevie's vocals and layered Christine and Linds over. It is not THAT different, but noticeable. Most of LIVE was dubbed or sweetened in the studio. Same with The Dance. Lets not forget that Soundstage Sessions was pretty much entirely recorded in Nashville and then lipsynched.
Actually, about St. Louis, Lindsey's guitar parts for the last couple of minutes are completely different on Live than on the soundboard boot.

And that's completely untrue about the Soundstage Sessions.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
Actually, about St. Louis, Lindsey's guitar parts for the last couple of minutes are completely different on Live than on the soundboard boot.

And that's completely untrue about the Soundstage Sessions.
That was a first too when I read the Dance was lip synced That was hard to believe.
Hardly anything is live today. The Who at the superbowl, the national anthem at the inauguration (Beyoncé), etc. I can understand on a live album to make a few studio touches. My shock was to learn the Mac lip synced Don't Stop during the Clinton inauguration. I posted the interview several months ago from Christine when she spoke about recording the track prior to performing it.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't most bands fine tune their live recordings in studio when they're going to be made into official releases? It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that FM does.

Where is this coming from about The Dance being lip synched though? It looks as good as Soundstage does, to me.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Don't most bands fine tune their live recordings in studio when they're going to be made into official releases? It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that FM does.

Where is this coming from about The Dance being lip synched though? It looks as good as Soundstage does, to me.
are they really lip-synched, which means the vocals and whatnot are already recorded ahead of time and they are miming along, or are they tweaked after the fact, and that new audio track is overlaid on the live video that was done? I suspect the latter.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
are they really lip-synched, which means the vocals and whatnot are already recorded ahead of time and they are miming along, or are they tweaked after the fact, and that new audio track is overlaid on the live video that was done? I suspect the latter.

Yes of course it's the latter. The former would be karaoke. I think someone else used the phrase lip synch.

Anyway, none of that should come as any surprise - from this band, in particular, right? All I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's correct that The Dance was fine tuned to the same degree that say, Tango in the Night was.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really do not like how Christine played the piano during the "and he was just like a great dark wing" etc.... and "hold on the night is coming" parts as the Tusk tour went on. You can hear a big difference in the 1979 and 1980 performances. If you listen to the Live album Sara and the Tusk deluxe live Sara. The Live album version, Christine plays the piano much better during those two parts of the song. I really like the dun dun dun..... dun dun dun.... dun dun dun. In the Tusk deluxe Sara performance it's not dun dun dun. The first dun isn't even there and the third dun sounds like the piano is broken or something. It really ruins the song for me.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I couldn't agree more...love the '82 versions ESPECIALLY Stevie's songs. As others mentioned, Stevie's vocal for Sara on the live album was done in the studio. The only part they kept from the St. Louis performance (Stevie vocal-wise) is the tag at the beginning of the song (Wait a minute baby...). That vocal was not sweetened or tweaked, it was re-recorded. Stevie has done this often including the Bella Donna HBO concert, the Stand Back and Stop Draggin' from the US Festival (completely re-recorded vocals for the broadcast), Oakland '83 radio tracks, Red Rocks '86, Tango '87, Houston '89 radio show, and the House of Blues '94 radio show. Stevie is no stranger to re-recorded studio vocals.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I've been listening to some bootlegs of Tusk and Mirage shows. I am really enjoying how they played Sara in 1982. They seem to play it at a slightly faster pace than they did in 1979. Lindsey's guitar is what really sticks out to me, I love how he played it on the Mirage tour. My favorite one to listen to is the Sara from the 10-15-1982 Denver Colorado show. Stevie sounds kinda rough during this performance, but the rest of the band is on point, the instruments sound great. Too bad we didn't get the full live set on deluxe Mirage.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badanimals87 View Post
I couldn't agree more...love the '82 versions ESPECIALLY Stevie's songs. As others mentioned, Stevie's vocal for Sara on the live album was done in the studio. The only part they kept from the St. Louis performance (Stevie vocal-wise) is the tag at the beginning of the song (Wait a minute baby...). That vocal was not sweetened or tweaked, it was re-recorded. Stevie has done this often including the Bella Donna HBO concert, the Stand Back and Stop Draggin' from the US Festival (completely re-recorded vocals for the broadcast), Oakland '83 radio tracks, Red Rocks '86, Tango '87, Houston '89 radio show, and the House of Blues '94 radio show. Stevie is no stranger to re-recorded studio vocals.

Tim

I wish they didn't re record the first half of Stevie's vocals on the Live album sara. At least not the first half of the song, the video of Sara from the St. Louis show that is on YouTube, Stevie sounds awesome (unfortunately, the video also edits the performance down to like four minutes.) But when I listen to the bootleg of the St Louis Sara, Stevie does not sound as good in the second half of the song. They should have kept the first half on the live album and then rerecorded the second half.