Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LB on FM Firing: 'They'd Lost Their Perspective'

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ective-w520246

Lindsey Buckingham on Fleetwood Mac Firing: 'They'd Lost Their Perspective'

"This was not something that was really my doing or my choice," guitarist says of exit from band

Lindsey Buckingham spoke about his firing from Fleetwood Mac for the first time when the guitarist performed Friday night at a California fundraiser.

Larry Marano/REX/Shutterstock
By Daniel Kreps

Lindsey Buckingham spoke about his firing from Fleetwood Mac for the first time when the guitarist performed Friday night at a California campaign fundraiser.

"It's been an interesting time on a lot of levels," Buckingham said at the fundraiser supporting Democratic congressional candidate Mike Levin (via Jeremy Roberts).

"For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice."

"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective," Buckingham continued. "The point is that they'd lost their perspective. What that did was to harm – and this is the only thing I'm really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity – it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

Buckingham, who weaved his remarks about the Fleetwood Mac firing into a speech supporting Levin, remained diplomatic about the rift with his now-former bandmates, even sidestepping an audience member who yelled "**** Stevie Nicks."

The brief comments were Buckingham's first on the matter since Fleetwood Mac announced in April that the band recruited the Heartbreakers' Mike Campbell and Crowded House's Neil Finn to replace Buckingham, who reportedly didn't want to embark on a Mac tour this year.

"Words like 'fired' are ugly references as far as I'm concerned," Mick Fleetwood told Rolling Stone in April. "Not to hedge around, but we arrived at the impasse of hitting a brick wall. This was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. To that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with him. Majority rules in term of what we need to do as a band and go forward."

Watch Buckingham's comments on the Fleetwood Mac situation below:

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default TMZ article

TMZ adding to the slew or articles citing Lindsey's speech last night (with the storied "band he founded" inaccuracy):

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/12/lindse...ac-thrown-out/

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
THROWN OUT OF FLEETWOOD MAC ...

Now I Can Go My Own Way

5/12/2018 8:43 AM PDT

Lindsey Buckingham Says He's Been Thrown Out of Fleetwood Mac

Lindsey Buckingham is no longer a part of the band he founded ... and it was not his choice.

Lindsey was performing Friday night at an L.A. backyard fundraiser for California Congressman Mike Levin, when he told the crowd he has not been a part of Fleetwood Mac for 3 months. He made it clear it was not his doing ... he was unceremoniously kicked out by a band member or members.

Lindsey didn't say who was behind the overthrow, but judging from the video it sure seems it was Stevie Nicks.

Buckingham seemed sad, saying the members behind the ouster were tarnishing the group's 43-year legacy.

The group has had a storied history of discord ... discord that in many ways made their songs and performances amazing.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pitchfork

https://pitchfork.com/news/lindsey-b...source=dlvr.it

Lindsey Buckingham Responds to Fleetwood Mac Firing: Watch
Buckingham: “It harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build”

Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, photo by Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images

Last month, Fleetwood Mac parted ways with longtime guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. Buckingham addressed the firing publicly for the first time last night while performing at a campaign fundraiser for California Democratic congressional candidate Mike Levin. “This was not something that was really my doing or my choice,” he said in between songs. “I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective.”

He continued, claiming the decision negatively affects Fleetwood Mac. “It harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one’s higher truth and one’s high destiny.” Watch his full speech below.

Stevie Nicks recently discussed the decision to replace Buckingham with former Tom Petty guitarist Mike Campbell and Crowded House’s Neil Finn on Fleetwood Mac’s upcoming tour. “Our relationship has always been volatile,” Nicks said. “This is sad for me, but I want the next 10 years of my life to be really fun and happy.” Mick Fleetwood added: “Majority rules in terms of what we need to do as a band and go forward.”

Old 05-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/linds...t-perspective/

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM SAYS FLEETWOOD MAC ‘LOST THEIR PERSPECTIVE’

DAVE LIFTON

Steven Ferdman, Getty Images

Lindsey Buckingham has finally spoken about his departure from Fleetwood Mac. Last night, he performed at a fundraiser for Mike Levin, a Democratic candidate for California's 49th Congressional District, where he made his first public comments about the band's decision to tour without him, which you can see below.

The video, found by Medium, begins with Buckingham saying, "It’s been an interesting time on a lot of levels. For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice. I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective."

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

After someone in the crowd shouted, "**** Stevie Nicks," Buckingham diplomatically raised his hand and refused to point a finger of blame. "Well, it doesn’t really matter," he continued. "The point is that they'd lost their perspective, and what that did was to harm – and this is the only thing I'm really sad about; the rest of it becomes an opportunity – it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

Lindsey Buckingham Publicly Comments on his dismissal from Fleetwood Mac for the first time
Subscribe to Ultimate Classic Rock on

He then pivoted into the reason why he was playing a political fundraiser, citing a similar loss of perspective in Washington with regard to checks and balances. The seat in the U.S. House of Representatives is up for grabs, with Republican Darrell Issa, who has held the seat since 2000, stepping down.

Buckingham, who left the band after 1987's Tango in the Night and rejoined 10 years later, has been replaced by Mike Campbell from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House for their upcoming tour. Nicks said that the decision to move on without him was the result of him wanting to wait until next year to go on the road.

Fleetwood Mac's tour begins Oct. 3 at the BOK Center in Tulsa and will continue, over two legs with a six-week break in mid-December and January, through April 5 in Philadelphia. You can check out all the dates here.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

from Kristen Buckingham's IG - LB's speech in 3 parts -

Last edited by elle; 05-12-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Old 05-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.eonline.com/news/934819/...ir-perspective

I don't know how to make a nice link like those above where you can see the video also, but it's the same video anyway. Here' the text:

Lindsey Buckingham Breaks Silence on Fleetwood Mac Firing: ''They Lost Their Perspective''

by MEG SWERTLOW | Sat., May. 12, 2018 11:58 AM

Lindsey Buckingham is breaking his silence on the matter of his exit from Fleetwood Mac.

Buckingham confirmed on stage that leaving the band of 43 years was not his "choice" just over one month after Rolling Stone reported that the rocker had been "fired" due to a disagreement over an upcoming tour and replaced by Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House.

While the band has done some talking on the subject, Lindsey has kept mum—until now.

"It's been an interesting time on a lot of levels for me personally. Probably some of you know, that for the last three months I have taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was my doing or my choice," said the guitarist and singer.

He continued, "I think what you would say there were factions that were in the band that had lost their perspective."

An audience member yelled out, "Stevie Nicks!"

Buckingham responded, "It doesn't really matter. The point is that they lost their perspective...and what that did was to harm—and this is the one thing I am really sad about because the rest of it becomes an opportunity—it harmed the 43-year legacy that we worked so hard to build. And that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill someone's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Fleetwood Mac Drags Lindsey Buckingham After Ousting in Unfiltered Interview
Old 05-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

vintage LB pulling faces - love this so much!

Old 05-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-Mac-time.html

yeah it's the DM but they have links to various videos and some good photos

'This was not my choice': Lindsey Buckingham addresses firing from Fleetwood Mac for first time as he says band has 'harmed its legacy'
By Ross Mcdonagh For Dailymail.com
PUBLISHED: 14:50 EDT, 12 May 2018 | UPDATED: 15:20 EDT, 12 May 2018

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz5FK3eLiFY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 05-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is not into growing musically or really even making new music. They only stayed together for 5 albums in the 70s and 80s. Once Stevie became a star she expected everyone else to turn one of her rhymes into a hit. She quit perfecting things. Lindsey was the only person in the band who wanted to push things musically.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham shatters silence over Fleetwood Mac ousting

very nice article where you can go in and click on the links to most videos from last night plus many other relevant videos if want wants to see all different sides of the situation (doesn't mean it's all correct, but still A for effort!):

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/lindsey...g-f77f41762c8c

Lindsey Buckingham shatters silence over Fleetwood Mac ousting

Jeremy Roberts
Retro pop culture interviews and elusive love feelings sustain this University of Georgia Master of Agricultural Leadership alum.
May 12

“There were factions within the band that had lost their perspective…what that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build.” For the first time, Fleetwood Mac guitar slinger Lindsey Buckingham publicly addresses why he was fired from the diamond-certified ’70s pop rock quintet. Dressed casually in blue jeans, a black T-shirt, and cool black leather jacket in the accompanying still, a sweat-soaked Buckingham screams in ecstasy after soloing on a customized Rick Turner Renaissance guitar. Image Credit: Photography by Jeremy Roberts
Thirty-seven days after a tweet by late ’80s Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette ironically divulged that the guy he replaced in the rock quintet, Lindsey Buckingham, had been unceremoniously fired at the insistence of Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood, the idiosyncratic Rumours mastermind finally broke his silence over the shocking revelation.

Not seen in public since January 26 when Fleetwood Mac was bestowed MusiCares Person of the Year by the Recording Academy, Buckingham was videoed Friday evening in between songs at a campaign fundraiser supporting Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California.

“It’s been an interesting time on a lot of levels,” said Buckingham from the Los Feliz, California, backyard of fellow Levin donor Erica Rothschild. “For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice.

“I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective [a female fan shouts, ‘F — k Stevie Nicks!,’ prompting Buckingham to raise his hand]. Well, it doesn’t really matter. The point is that they’d lost their perspective. What that did was to harm — and this is the only thing I’m really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity — it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build [another admirer chimes in, ‘That you built, Lindsey’]. That legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one’s higher truth and one’s higher destiny.”

Adroitly drawing a parallel as to why the blue state constituents were in attendance, Buckingham continued, “Now, we also are at a point with our country in Washington where there’s been a loss of perspective. Mr. Dean [John W. Dean, President Richard Nixon’s White House Counsel and Watergate star witness who spoke earlier at the fundraiser] saw it first-hand 45 years ago. I think the difference was that perhaps there were more separations of powers. There was more potential for checks and balances in that loss of perspective. The loss of perspective we see now is indeed threatening to harm the legacy that is the United States.

“In the context of that you’ve gotta think of what needs to be done. It is not gonna come from the top down — it is gonna come from the ground up. This is why we are here. And so, I am most honored and most pleased to have been asked in my own small way to help in that pushback which very, very much needs to happen in order to continue the legacy that we all have come to value. So, thank you for having me.”

Fleetwood Mac replaced Buckingham with two ingenious choices — Australian rock band Crowded House singer-guitarist Neil Finn and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers chief axeman Mike Campbell, whose frequent studio and stage collaborations with Nicks extend to her debut solo single “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” in 1981. The diamond-certified pop rockers are scheduled to begin a prodigious 52-date North American arena tour on October 3 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which apparently precipitated the split.

On a CBS This Morning April 25 profile moderated by Anthony Mason, the jilted “Landslide” chanteuse was not sorry to part ways with her former paramour. “This team wanted to get out on the road, and one of the members didn’t want to go out on the road for a year,” said Nicks, who was the only Fleetwood Mac member not to join the sessions for last year’s acclaimed Buckingham McVie record. “We just couldn’t agree. When you’re in a band, it’s a team. I have a solo career. I love my solo career, and I’m the boss. But I’m not the boss in this band.”

Fleetwood, the groove-laden drummer and co-founder, seconded the most recognizable group member and only one capable of packing arenas to Rolling Stone’s Andy Greene. “Not to hedge around, but we arrived at the impasse of hitting a brick wall,” admitted Fleetwood. “This was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. To that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with him. Majority rules in term of what we need to do as a band and go forward.” Singer-songwriter-keyboardist Christine McVie was at home in London and not told until after the majority vote had been cast.

A fan encounter filmed the day after the MusiCares gala and a few days before Buckingham’s sacking found the multifaceted musician explaining that he wanted to plot solo “small machine” dates in between Fleetwood Mac’s upcoming “big machine” trek. There’s obviously much more to the obfuscating soap opera. Until Buckingham decides to shed further light, his diplomatic, classy rebuttal will have to suffice heartbroken fans.

Video Credit: The Brian Larsen Collection / YouTube

On May 11, 2018, former Fleetwood Mac frontman Lindsey Buckingham poses for a quick selfie with indie rock singer-songwriter and ardent Fleetwood Mac aficionado Brian Larsen during a backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild. Larsen captured the video of Buckingham’s first public comments on being fired from Fleetwood Mac. Image Credit: The Brian Larsen Collection / Twitter

In his first public appearance since Fleetwood Mac’s MusiCares Person of the Year celebration at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on January 26, former Fleetwood Mac member Lindsey Buckingham opts for a Gibson acoustic guitar during an intimate backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild on May 11, 2018. Image Credit: Photography by Talia Osteen Hess / Twitter

“After we flip the house, we’re never going back again!” In his first public appearance since Fleetwood Mac’s MusiCares Person of the Year celebration at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on January 26, former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham plays an intimate acoustic backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild on May 11, 2018. Image Credit: Photography by Randi Mayem Singer / Twitter

In his first public appearance since Fleetwood Mac’s MusiCares Person of the Year celebration at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on January 26, former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham plays an intimate acoustic backyard campaign fundraiser appearance for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild on May 11, 2018. Image Credit: Photography by Karen Ray / Twitter

An advertisement plugs the campaign fundraiser for Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California, at the Los Feliz, California, home of Erica Rothschild. “Rumours” mastermind Lindsey Buckingham, part of Fleetwood Mac’s core lineup for 43 years until being unceremoniously fired in April 2018, made his first public appearance at the backyard May 11 event following the abrupt news. Event co-hosts included actress Alyssa Milano, techno singer-songwriter Moby, and writer-director Cameron Crowe. Image Credit: Photography by Karen Ray / Twitter Image Credit: The Campaign to Elect Mike Levin / Fleetwood Mac News

With hands resting comfortably on his customized Rick Turner Renaissance guitar, Lindsey Buckingham prepares the audience for three new songs in a row by delivering a rehearsed “big machine” [aka Fleetwood Mac] versus “small machine” [the solo stuff] speech during a fantastic solo “Seeds We Sow” concert on October 3, 2011, at the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, Florida. Image Credit: Photography by Jeremy Roberts

Lindsey Buckingham prepares the audience for three new songs in a row by delivering a rehearsed “big machine” [aka Fleetwood Mac] versus “small machine” [the solo stuff] speech during a fantastic solo “Seeds We Sow” concert on October 3, 2011, at the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, Florida. Image Credit: Photography by Jeremy Roberts

Old 05-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just saw the CBS This Morning interview with the "new" Fleetwood Mac, where Mick says that this is "absolutely a new band."
Mike Campbell and Neil Finn say that they are not thinking this is a "temporary gig" and it really just hit me that Fleetwood Mac might never be the same....
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."
Old 05-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/05/12...ir-perspective

Lindsey Buckingham On Why He Was Nixed from Fleetwood Mac: “There were factions in the band that had lost their perspective”

by Roger Friedman - May 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Lindsay Buckingham has addressed his ouster from Fleetwood Mac. He was fired, it wasn’t a matter of scheduling (we knew that, didn’t we?).

Was it his long time partner Stevie Nicks who nixed him? Someone yells her name at a backyard show where Buckingham was playing. He responds by saying, “It doesn’t matter.”

Well, it does matter. Fleetwood Mac told Lindsey ‘You can go your own way’ after 43 years. That’s not very nice. They replaced him with Neil Finn from Crowded House and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers, but that’s not Fleetwood Mac, jack.

Watch the video:

Old 05-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Mick Fleetwood added: “Majority rules in terms of what we need to do as a band and go forward.”
I've tried, but nothing make sense. Majority out of the 5? So, Mick, Stevie and who was the third? John? Christine, who claims she wasn't part of the ouster?

This is so disappointing that either of the McVies went along with this.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://bestclassicbands.com/lindsey-...d-mac-5-12-18/

Lindsey Buckingham: Mac ‘Lost Their Perspective’
by Best Classic Bands Staff

Nicks and Buckingham in happier times

Lindsey Buckingham spoke out publicly for the first time about his departure from “my band for 43 years.” The now-former Fleetwood Mac member performed Friday night (May 11) at a fundraiser for California Congressman Mike Levin.

“This has been an interesting time on a lot of levels for me, personally,” he said. “Probably some of you know that, for the last three months, I have sadly taken leave of my band for 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was either my doing or my choice. I think what you would say was that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective.”

As he paused, an audience member shouted: “F*ck Stevie Nicks.” Was his former lover and longtime band mate the main culprit? Buckingham clearly heard it, acknowledging: “Well, it doesn’t really matter. The point is that they’ve lost their perspective and what that did was to harm… and this is the only thing I’m really sad about it… the rest of it becomes an opportunity… but it harmed the 43 year legacy that we built. And that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one’s higher truth and one’s higher destiny.”

Fleetwood Mac in 2014

Related: Fleetwood Mac discuss their new lineup

He then turned political. “Now we’re also at a point with our country in Washington… where there’s been a loss of perspective. Mr. Dean saw it first-hand 45 years ago,” he said, referring to the Nixon White House Counsel. “I think the difference was that perhaps there were more separation of powers… more potential for checks and balances.

“But the loss of perspective we see now is, indeed, threatening to harm the legacy that is the United States. In the context of that you’ve got to think of what needs to be done. And it is not gonna come from the top down… it is gonna come from the ground up and this is why we are here. I am most honored and most pleased to have been asked, in my own small way, to help in that push back which very, very much needs to happen in order to continue the legacy we have all come to value.”

Tickets for Fleetwood Mac’s 2018-2018 tour are available here and here.

Watch Buckingham’s speech

Old 05-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
I've tried, but nothing make sense. Majority out of the 5? So, Mick, Stevie and who was the third? John? Christine, who claims she wasn't part of the ouster?

This is so disappointing that either of the McVies went along with this.
Probably a snowball effect - the catalyst being Stevie, with Mick just "following the money", then John and Christine probably sticking with Mick out of loyalty. Very disappointed as well that they did not recognize that this is a pretty sh!tty way for the band to end its run.