User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Like It This Way

I really love the song "Like It This Way"

Just wonder if anyone have any cool info about this song.

Well any info at all really.

When was it recorded? Was it ever considered for an album and which?

This should have been an album track i think, it's just that good.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Like it that way too

it was released on "Blues Jam In Chicago"

that is an official release

doodyhead
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooh, I just luuuuv it when they push it from minor to major on a couple of verses during the Kirwan/Green solos ... on some live occasions, Boston Tea Party for example.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the dual guitar songs

I'm guessing the Chess sessions is where the rest of the band heard this tune for the first time. Peter Green's response doesn't mimic very well to Kirwan's call. I think when the band recorded an early version of "Man of the World" in New York a week or two later they re-recorded "Like It This Way". That version can be found on "Jumping At Shadows...The Blues Years", or "The Vaudeville Years". By then the song is polished.

I think of all those songs that went wasted because Peter Green left the band: 'Sandy Mary' (Green), 'World in Harmony', 'Loving Kind', 'Like it This Way' (done properly), 'Only You'. None of these songs made it to a proper album. Then there's "One Sided Love" which was never recorded in the studio. Danny Kirwan was a well of ideas, that's for sure. You combine the above with Kirwan's songs from "Kiln House", and you have a very strong album. I'd even throw in Hi-Ho Silver, and This is the Rock.

Last edited by slipkid; 04-07-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I'm guessing the Chess sessions is where the rest of the band heard this tune for the first time...[...]
I've got a recollection of it played at Falconer Centret 1968-11-17. Anyone heard it performed earlier than that?

/z
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually think that the date for the Falkoner Center is incorrect - I think the show was probably taped during their third Nordic trek - in April / May of 1969
Hjort pulls quotes from a number of contemporary local papers in Denmark which made a point of detailing that Taste stole the show that night in November of 1968, and if the recording attributed to that night was an example of how they played, it would be hard to imagine Gallagher’s power trio not winning the night. The recording finds Fleetwood Mac playing well but not sounding particularly inspired. During the seemingly endless tune-up at the start of the show, (the show was repeatedly brought to a grinding halt as the band retuned during this particular set) Green tells the audience, “…this is going to be a very casual evening, we’re going to do what we like and you do what you like…” before opening the show with Bennett’s ‘Jumping at Shadows’, hardly what one would expect from the headliners after a high energy performance by a band on the undercard. Green might not have ever wanted to be a "guitar God" but he had enough professional pride to not allow himself to be upstaged that easily.
Further undercutting the probability of these numbers having been recorded on the night in question, is the fact that it is obviously a non-English speaking M.C. who brings the band on, introducing them as “The Peter Green” (as the band is tuning, Green also uses the time to introduce each of the members of “Fleetwood Mac” individually). Mike Vernon, had joined them on for these dates to act as the compre for the shows, and he can be clearly heard making the introductions at the show recorded in Orebro on 11 / 23 / 68.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't help but think this awesome song and performance were inspired by the tempo and call-response guitar-horn bits on Rollin' Man.

Anyone else think so?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I actually think that the date for the Falkoner Center is incorrect - I think the show was probably taped during their third Nordic trek - in April / May of 1969
Hjort pulls quotes from a number of contemporary local papers in Denmark which made a point of detailing that Taste stole the show that night in November of 1968, and if the recording attributed to that night was an example of how they played, it would be hard to imagine Gallagher’s power trio not winning the night. The recording finds Fleetwood Mac playing well but not sounding particularly inspired. During the seemingly endless tune-up at the start of the show, (the show was repeatedly brought to a grinding halt as the band retuned during this particular set) Green tells the audience, “…this is going to be a very casual evening, we’re going to do what we like and you do what you like…” before opening the show with Bennett’s ‘Jumping at Shadows’, hardly what one would expect from the headliners after a high energy performance by a band on the undercard. Green might not have ever wanted to be a "guitar God" but he had enough professional pride to not allow himself to be upstaged that easily.
Further undercutting the probability of these numbers having been recorded on the night in question, is the fact that it is obviously a non-English speaking M.C. who brings the band on, introducing them as “The Peter Green” (as the band is tuning, Green also uses the time to introduce each of the members of “Fleetwood Mac” individually). Mike Vernon, had joined them on for these dates to act as the compre for the shows, and he can be clearly heard making the introductions at the show recorded in Orebro on 11 / 23 / 68.
The only reason I thought that "Like It This Way" was done on the fly in Chicago, is that Peter Green doesn't follow Kirwan's call and response on the recorded take. Green was a great improviser (Kirwan was not), but you need at least one run-through first. The outtake studio version is recorded within two weeks, and Green has it down solid.

Ahh, what this band could've been... Green never leaves, Spencer goes for CoG anyway, Christine joins the band in response, Kirwan remains sane with Green as de-facto leader (haha), and writes more great songs without pressure, they never need Bob Welch, Kirwan never smashes his Gibson Black Beauty...the no LSD reality!?!?

Last edited by slipkid; 04-08-2009 at 12:47 AM..
Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you are right. Starting of like that would somehow seem out of sync with the rest of the 'goings on'.

FM played in Denmark six times between 1968 -1970 (according to Hjort):
7th of april 1968 - Falkoner Centret
17th of november 1968 - Falkoner Centret
25th of march 1969 - ABC - Teatret
1st of november 1969 - Holstebro Hallen
8th of november 1969 - K.B. Hallen
28th of march 1970 - Falkoner Centret (PG starts of by saying to the audience that he: "..hopes everybody is suitably stoned.." I dont know if there are recordings from all the concerts?

- and I don't think FM had "Jumping At Shadows" on their repertoire before 1969. Maybe I am wrong.´

Ms Moose
Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Junior Ledgie

thanks for all the info!

it's the vaudeville sessions version that I have fallen in love with, sounds properly recorded enough for me to be out on a real album.

but i'm just glad we have it.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

- and I don't think FM had "Jumping At Shadows" on their repertoire before 1969. Maybe I am wrong.´

Ms Moose[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. If I am correct on the dating of the show, then the first "available" live recording of "Jumping at Shadows" would be from the April 22nd 1969 show at the Royal Albert Hall.
After that, they performed it a few months later for a BBC broadcast on June 10th and the next time it is heard is on the Boston Tea Party recordings - the differences in the performances from 1969 to 1970 are both subtle and startling -
Same thing with "Like It This Way" - the intro on the Falkoner Center recording is a train wreck - it would seem that they had never performed it live before - quite possible - they laid it down during the Chess sessions and had not played it since -

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Very good point, BklynBlue. For any of our European friends who have that recording that's supposed to be from 17 November 1968 at the Falkoner Centret - are there clues from the MC's intro whether this was from Copenhagen or if it might actually be from another country? Not much can be heard from the MC but it may be enough for some of you to tell. I may see if I can post an mp3 clip of the (very brief) intro later today.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Is it The Swedish Chef...maybe..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Very good point, BklynBlue. For any of our European friends who have that recording that's supposed to be from 17 November 1968 at the Falkoner Centret - are there clues from the MC's intro whether this was from Copenhagen or if it might actually be from another country? Not much can be heard from the MC but it may be enough for some of you to tell. I may see if I can post an mp3 clip of the (very brief) intro later today.
I only have the 7th of may 1968 concert and the 28th of march 1970 concert, but if you post the intro - I (and the other scandinavians on this site) will be able to hear which of the scandinavian languages is spoken.

Ms Moose
Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I attached the mp3 file - it's inside a zip file since it looks like the site won't let me attach an mp3 directly. As noted before, it's very short so hope someone will be able to tell whether the MC is Danish, Swedish, or from another country. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip MC intro for Fleetwood Mac.zip (66.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I attached the mp3 file - it's inside a zip file since it looks like the site won't let me attach an mp3 directly. As noted before, it's very short so hope someone will be able to tell whether the MC is Danish, Swedish, or from another country. Thanks!
That is Danish ... must be! What do you think, Ms Moose?
"Her er de ... Peter Green!" ("Here they are ... Peter Green!")