Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Elec.Piano on "Tell me ll the things you do"

Is that Jeremy Spencer playing the electric piano on "Tell Me All The Things You Do"?

IMHO it sounds quite nifty.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I think that's Christine. She plays & sings on a few tracks on Kiln House, hence their asking her to join up for the tour, "since she knew the songs already".

But, if Jeremy's around hopefully he will confirm or deny that.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Actually, I think that's Christine. She plays & sings on a few tracks on Kiln House, hence their asking her to join up for the tour, "since she knew the songs already".

But, if Jeremy's around hopefully he will confirm or deny that.
I could be wrong of course... but it's always sounded like Christine to me..
Old 02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just listened to 'Kiln House' last night and I noticed Christine's vocals and what sounds like her keyboard playing more than I ever have before. She really was already part of the band.

The musicians on the board will correct me on this, or they can explain this idea more technically if they agree, but it sounds to me like Jeremy was playing a more traditionally blues-style piano, whereas Chris' piano playing was already sounding more pop.

But no matter which musician that was, the piano on that song sure is tasty.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeremy was certainly of the Jerry Lee Lewis vein of rock/blues pianists. I'm pretty sure it's Christine playing the elec. piano (Fender Rhodes??) on 'Tell Me..."
Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Jeremy was certainly of the Jerry Lee Lewis vein of rock/blues pianists. I'm pretty sure it's Christine playing the elec. piano (Fender Rhodes??) on 'Tell Me..."
agreed.....................
Old 02-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

My guess is Christine too but it seems like her involvement on KH in general has been vague in terms of what she played and sang on, I mean, sure, we can hear her vocals on Mission Bell, Station Man (and so on, I know, I'm fueling the fire ) but in every write up it's just been passed off as things to the tune of "she was on a few songs" without saying what exactly and knowing her keys sound like we do she's bound to be playing some of the keys on Jewel Eyed Judy (and so on, more fuel for the fire ) so hopefully Jeremy can settle her specific KH involvement once and for all (I gotta say, it's been SO great he's been here to give us answers to these decades old questions! ).
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I just listened to 'Kiln House' last night and I noticed Christine's vocals and what sounds like her keyboard playing more than I ever have before. She really was already part of the band.

The musicians on the board will correct me on this, or they can explain this idea more technically if they agree, but it sounds to me like Jeremy was playing a more traditionally blues-style piano, whereas Chris' piano playing was already sounding more pop.

But no matter which musician that was, the piano on that song sure is tasty.
That was me playing Wurlitzer on Tell Me. I wasn't that happy with it at the time, as I thought it was a little too rudimentary. But I always liked Ray Charles' use of that instrument and that's why I chose it and attempted something like he would have done. If you all liked it, maybe it worked after all!
Christine sang some back ups on Kiln House, but played no keyboards,
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Madison Blues" CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post

That was me playing Wurlitzer on Tell Me. I wasn't that happy with it at the time, as I thought it was a little too rudimentary. But I always liked Ray Charles' use of that instrument and that's why I chose it and attempted something like he would have done. If you all liked it, maybe it worked after all!
Christine sang some back ups on Kiln House, but played no keyboards,
Those live, and BBC recordings of that period feature Christine on electric piano/organ, correct?

You and Christine's vocal intro for "Mission Bell" sounds so much like Marty Balin, and Grace Slick. Was that intentional?

BTW, do you have any interest in the repackaged (undubbed) Buddy Holly material? Is it available where you're living yet (obviously not America)?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Ench
This message has been deleted by Ench.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
But quite often, to my unschooled ears at least, something, how can I say this, more straightforward, can be exactly what a song needs. And that's what I think of the EP part on "Tell me...". It just works within the context of the song and the rest of the excellent arrangement.
My thoughts exactly. Too much fancy dressing up isn't good for pop music, in my opinion.

Thanks to Jeremy for providing the answer to this question.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the response, Jeremy.

I guess I'm guilty of underestimating your keyboard playing talents all these years! My apologies!!!

But, Christine played your keyboard parts on the subsequent tour, though, correct?