The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Penguin. Christine's songs are immediately satisfying and resemble, more than any other 1971-74 era Mac album, her contributions to the mega-albums that came later. Bob Welch's three songs are very interesting--especially Nightwatch, where HIS guitar solo toward the end is better than the over-hyped Green coloring in the middle. Weston's instrumental is also satisfying. My only complaints, really, are Dave Walker's well-performed songs that seem out of place there, and that the album as a whole is a bit thin on running time. Could've used two or three more songs.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
yet to do rap but give them chance).
Could "The Ledge" from "Tusk" be considered an early prototype (lyrically speaking)? Beats the Sugarhill Gang by a year I think.

John
Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyway if you don't like him then you don't like him...I could tie you down and force you to listen to the Derelict on repeat but that might just be extreme and I can't afford the airfare right now... [/QUOTE]

I love that response!! Hilarious!! Had me laughing out loud and people in the police communications room looking at me!!!

I really am open to a lot of different things musically. My iPod has Bagpipe music, Mickey Hart, FM, Rod Stewart, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Heart, Lynard Skynard, Beatles, Roy Orbison, Rick Vito (again just a short list off the top of my head).

I'll give you a committment to at least try and go back to "Penguin" with a more open mind and report back. No guarantees it will change my mind, but I will at least committ to trying.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm honestly loving the first 4 Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac albums right now. I have them in my car CD player in order, then a "Greatest Hits Live" Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac, then Rick Vito's "Pink and Black". Having looked all over this forum and the many different discussion threads, it got me thinking that I had not revisited that material for some time, so I went and got them out and have been listening to them all week and I am just blown away yet again by the talent, musicianship and fun they seemed to be having with the music at that time. Everyone is spot on with their playing, the band is tight and I can feel what a good time they are having performing the songs. You seem to be able to hear John's bass more in those CD's also, or is it just me?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
I'll give you a committment to at least try and go back to "Penguin" with a more open mind and report back. No guarantees it will change my mind, but I will at least committ to trying.
Hmmm...well failing that I'll send you "Walking Underwater" which is a kick-ass album from '07. If I can't get you liking Dave's FM work maybe we can work backwards, if you start liking Dave outside of FM maybe you'll appreciate his work more with them.

Or alternatively try one of these:

http://rapidshare.com/files/20666608...ound_Train.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/144422233/Lion_s_Share.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/14469871...er_Talking.rar

Maybe then you'll see what potential FM saw in Dave W.

Or maybe you won't and I'll go back to my lonely little corner with my Dave W collection...