Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Academy Awards...

Was anyone else aside from myself incredibly bored by this years Oscars? They were too predictable and Billy Crystal wasn't as funny as he's been in the past. It was a total SNOOZE for the most part. Bill Murray looked genuinely hurt that he didn't win. I will admit to being teary-eyed when Charlize gave her speech... she was very genuine and it was touching. I expected a Lord of the Rings sweep but I have to say, I wasn't a fan of Annie Lenox's performance of the song from the film...I would have much rather Sting won...I absolutely love that song and I loved his collaboration with Alison Krauss.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't watch it. Star Wars: Episode I was on channel 8.

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree, I thought the Oscars were very vanilla this year. A backlash to the whole Super Bowl episode? I also agree about the best song. I was rooting for Sting as well. That was not one of Annie Lennox' most stellar performances. I'm very happy, however, that LOTR took Best Picture!

Patti
Old 03-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really missed Steve Martin! And Annie Lennox did not have a stellar performance at all. Allison Kraus was simply amazing. I was really happy to see Sean Penn win. The thing that I've always admired about him is that he's never "sold out"--done movies simply for the money. It really is about the work with him, unlike Nic Cage who's prostituted his talent one too many times for my liking. It was kind of a bland and boring Oscar ceremony-no real surprises--except that LOTR swept every category they were nominated in.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

First off, this year stunk. It was so predictable and dull. Only half of Crystal's jokes worked. Here's who I think should have won:

1. Best Picture: Mystic River, hands down. That movie was brilliant.

2. Best Actor: Sean Penn and Bill Murray were just fantastic, so I was glad that at least one of them won the award.

3. Best Actress: Diane Keaton. I loved Charlize Theron, but Keaton just has it. I adore her.

4. Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins. He was in Mystic River, what else can I say?

5. Supporting Actress: Holly Hunter. Zellweger tried to hard for an Oscar and it backfired, IMO. Watching that movie, all I could think was "Oscar bait!" Hunter is one of my all-time favorites and she pulled it off this year.

Now, the best dressed!

1. Holly Hunter. I don't know what she was wearing at the Globes, but the girl looked a-ma-zing last night. She's so beautiful.

2. Diane Keaton. I'm a total sucker for the Annie Hall get-up. She rocks.

3. Naomi Watts. Just plain beautiful.

4. Patricia Clarkson. Another beautiful one; she just exuded glamour.

5. Sally Kirkland. She FINALLY pulled it off and looked GREAT! There's a first for everythang, folks.

The worst dressed....!

1. Uma Thurman. Good christ. Her dress looked like it got caught in the limo door on the way to the show and just dragged over everything on Rodeo. She looked quite funny, actually.

2. Nicole Kidman. If she had farted, she would've had a huge hole in the ass of her dress. That sucker was sprayed on.

3. Peter Jackson. Why won't he manscape already? I hear he's remaking King Kong. He can economize and save money by casting his own raggedy ass as the title character.

And the worst make-up award goes to...

Charlize Theron! She looked like a f*cking corpse. It was embarassing.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Patti
I was rooting for Sting as well.
Was I the *only* one who was rooting for "A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow" from A Mighty Wind? That was the highlight of the night for me.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Was I the *only* one who was rooting for "A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow" from A Mighty Wind? That was the highlight of the night for me.
No, I really did love it and I absolutely loved their performance last night (complete with kiss) and I loved it even more after I found out it had been written by both Michael McKean and his wife Annette O'Toole. However, I think You Will Be My Ain True Love is just a beautiful song...
Old 03-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
No, I really did love it and I absolutely loved their performance last night (complete with kiss) and I loved it even more after I found out it had been written by both Michael McKean and his wife Annette O'Toole. However, I think You Will Be My Ain True Love is just a beautiful song...
I like it, too, but the Mighty Wind song just seemed to come straight from the heart. I love it.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The worst dressed....!

1. Uma Thurman. Good christ. Her dress looked like it got caught in the limo door on the way to the show and just dragged over everything on Rodeo. She looked quite funny, actually.

2. Nicole Kidman. If she had farted, she would've had a huge hole in the ass of her dress. That sucker was sprayed on.

3. Peter Jackson. Why won't he manscape already? I hear he's remaking King Kong. He can economize and save money by casting his own raggedy ass as the title character.

And the worst make-up award goes to...

Charlize Theron! She looked like a f*cking corpse. It was embarassing.
LMAO.....amen to that.

I went and watched with friends last night and my friend Stephanie was like, "dear God...she must be back with Ethan Hawke...she only dresses like **** when they're together..."

Peter Jackson and his girlfriend looked seemingly normal and actually, quite nice in the pictures they showed on the screen when they were showing the nominees for Best Adapted Screenplay. Fran and Peter creep me out...those pictures must have been taken years ago...

And I thought that Charlize Theron had gotten one of those LA bronzer's where you're supposed to go in for like, 15 seconds and you turn one way and then turn the other and it sprays you... it looks like she forgot to turn because she was darker in some spots than others. Perhaps she was attempting to match the statue
Old 03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am not believing anyone thinks LOTR should not have won everything it was nominated for

Never before has such a monumental task been undertaken, much less with the beautiful results it had. I mean all of the movies nominated were good, but none of them even approached Herculean effort, stunning results, and panoramic vision of Peter Jackson. I realize the content of the LOTR is fantasy, but I think judging a movie on content alone is silly. Does that mean we can rule out a movie based on violence, incest, etc. I say they all should be judged on their own merits and NONE of the co-nominees had the merit of LOTR-ROTK IMO.

"One Ring to Rule Them All"

P.S. Can you tell I am a fan!!!!

Also, the Oliphant stepping on an irate Michael More in the opening clip was hysterical

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 03-01-2004 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I am not believing anyone thinks LOTR should not have won everything it was nominated for

Never before has such a monumental task been undertaken, much less with the beautiful results it had. I mean all of the movies nominated were good, but none of them even approached Herculean effort, stunning results, and panoramic vision of Peter Jackson. I realize the content of the LOTR is fantasy, but I think judging a movie on content alone is silly. Does that mean we can rule out a movie based on violence, incest, etc. I say they all should be judged on their own merits and NONE of the co-nominees had the merit of LOTR-ROTK IMO.

Also, the Oliphant stepping on an irate Michael More in the opening clip was hysterical
<----has never seen LOTR. My dad absolutely loves it...we own the DVDs...I've just never watched them. When my mom bought the second installment, he watched and was like, "WTF?!? Where's the next part? Is it out yet??"

I laughed *SO* hard at the Michael Moore bit.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I can tell you're a fan, doll.

I submit to you that Mystic River not only rivaled LOTR, but it was far greater in almost every area. I saw the movie twice because I was so knocked out the first the time.

Clint Eastwood made one of the best movies that, I think, has ever been made. The direction was unbelievable. The book itself was dark, but Eastwood took the book and turned it into something that I can't even describe. He didn't make it dark, he made it darker. The way the cameras panned to convey the emotions of the characters is unrivaled in almost every movie I've seen. While LOTR was a labor of love and a lot went into it, it can't touch the emotions of Mystic River. None of the performances in LOTR can hold a candle to the brilliant performances in Mystic River. LOTR was pretty to look at and quite the movie to watch in amazement at the achievements of the director, but it's small potatoes next to Mystic River. If the voters knew an amazing movie to honor, they would've honored Mystic River. It's one of a select few movies that shocked me on every level imaginable; acting, directing, cinematography, etc.

See it!!!!

Old 03-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thoguht the "Somethings Gotta Give" bit was hysterical.

"We're legal in Massachusetts!"

Old 03-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
While LOTR was a labor of love and a lot went into it, it can't touch the emotions of Mystic River. None of the performances in LOTR can hold a candle to the brilliant performances in Mystic River. LOTR was pretty to look at and quite the movie to watch in amazement at the achievements of the director, but it's small potatoes next to Mystic River. If the voters knew an amazing movie to honor, they would've honored Mystic River. It's one of a select few movies that shocked me on every level imaginable; acting, directing, cinematography, etc.

See it!!!!
I did and liked it. I am not a big fan of Penn or Robinson, although I think they are great actors and deserve the accolades they get, esp. Robonson for that baseball movie. I just think that think all of that screaming in Mystic River was just in some ways silly to me in that it seemed contrived and overdone in my book a la C. Theron's crying with no tears acceptance speech, which reminded me of Tina telling Faye Dunaway's Joan "DON'T YOU ACT FOR ME." But, I got the powerful message of the movie, thought it was a good if not great movie, etc. Similarly, people were crying in the LOTR. People cheered, etc. So, they both evoked emotion. Morevoer, Ian M.'s performance in all three was magnificent and IMO far better in subtlety than anything in Mystic River save perhaps Harden's portrayal.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I did and liked it. I am not a big fan of Penn or Robinson, although I think they are great actors and deserve the accolades they get, esp. Robonson for that baseball movie. I just think that think all of that screaming in Mystic River was just in some ways silly to me in that it seemed contrived and overdone in my book a la C. Theron's crying with no tears acceptance speech, which reminded me of Tina telling Faye Dunaway's Joan "DON'T YOU ACT FOR ME." But, I got the powerful message of the movie, thought it was a good if not great movie, etc. Similarly, people were crying in the LOTR. People cheered, etc. So, they both evoked emotion. Morevoer, Ian M.'s performance in all three was magnificent and IMO far better in subtlety than anything in Mystic River save perhaps Harden's portrayal.
I guess we disagree on all fronts

I think it's a crime that Laura Linney didn't get nominated, but that's just me.

With the exception of Sean's and Tim's acceptance speeches, they were all contrived and melodramatic. They were actors being actors.