Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Well, there is that nervous tick I have, not to mention the gratuitous drooling
Plus that off-balance walk you have, coupled with your talking to your pants...

Yup, you're a walking CVS.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
What next, Crucifixion action figures???

Brian j.
Actually, I do have a Jesus action figure....He has gliding action!
Old 02-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have to admit 8MM fascinated me and I found myself watching it even though I did not want to. I need mental therapy!!!!
Same here. I watched it all the way through, too. And felt so dirty afterwards.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some new tidbits from the IMDB:

"Moviegoers Pack 'Passion' Theaters"

Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ may have earned as much as $20 million in its first day of release, a record for a religious-themed movie, according to early estimates. In an interview with the Associated Press, Rob Schwartz, head of distribution for Newmarket Films, the independent distributor that Gibson hired to release the movie, forecast that the film would "at least" gross $100 million. "Then again, we have to see how the rest of the weekend plays out," Schwartz told AP. "Hopefully, if we continue the torrid pace we're starting to set now, that's an achievable number." Newmarket said that it had succeeded in planting the movie in 3,006 theaters, which are showing it on 4,643 screens, more than half again as many as originally forecast.

"Two Studio Chairmen Wash Their Hands of Gibson"

The chairmen of two major motion picture studios have told the New York Times that they will avoid working with Mel Gibson because of the contents of The Passion of the Christ and Gibson's remarks in promoting it -- particularly his refusal to distance himself from his father, who has denied the existence of the Holocaust. The Times said that neither studio head would speak for attribution, although, as one remarked: "It doesn't matter what I say. It'll matter what I do. I will do something. I won't hire him. I won't support anything he's part of. Personally that's all I can do." The Times also quoted an executive close to DreamWorks principals Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen as saying that the two men have privately expressed anger over the film. However, John Lesher, an Endeavor talent agent, told the newspaper that he doubted any backlash would be lasting. "People here will work with the anti-Christ if he'll put butts in seats," Lesher said. Meanwhile, the film continues to generate a mountain of news reports. The Google Internet search engine today listed 1,759 recent articles related to the movie.

Old 02-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention

"Two Studio Chairmen Wash Their Hands of Gibson"

The chairmen of two major motion picture studios have told the New York Times that they will avoid working with Mel Gibson because of the contents of The Passion of the Christ and Gibson's remarks in promoting it -- particularly his refusal to distance himself from his father, who has denied the existence of the Holocaust. The Times said that neither studio head would speak for attribution, although, as one remarked: "It doesn't matter what I say. It'll matter what I do. I will do something. I won't hire him. I won't support anything he's part of. Personally that's all I can do." The Times also quoted an executive close to DreamWorks principals Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen as saying that the two men have privately expressed anger over the film. However, John Lesher, an Endeavor talent agent, told the newspaper that he doubted any backlash would be lasting. "People here will work with the anti-Christ if he'll put butts in seats," Lesher said. Meanwhile, the film continues to generate a mountain of news reports. The Google Internet search engine today listed 1,759 recent articles related to the movie.
I really don't like it when people say dumb things. I mean, the man has a right to his opinion, but personally, I think he's a fool for calling Mel Gibson the anit-christ. I mean, really people, it's just a movie, no matter how much you may be affected by it!

On the other hand, I really don't know if I want to see this film or not. I don't listen to any critics, and try to form my own opinions, but I'm not sure I'd be into all the gore. I'm not one of those people who are easily upset by anything (except The Day After...that was horrible in every sense ), but by the way everyone talks about how brutal it is, I don't know if I could stomach it. My mom does want to go see it though, so maybe I'll check it out after all...
Old 02-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going to see it on Saturday. I am aware of all the gore and violence, and have been reading all of the opinions posted here, news articles, and reviews dilligently. I think, however, that I can only make a judgement when I actually see the movie myself. That's why I'm going to see it.

Shamus
Old 02-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan8472
I really don't like it when people say dumb things. I mean, the man has a right to his opinion, but personally, I think he's a fool for calling Mel Gibson the anit-christ. I mean, really people, it's just a movie, no matter how much you may be affected by it!
I think you misconstrued what the quote said. The talent agent simply meant that a movie executive was quite hypocritical to say that he would never work with Mel Gibson again, because a movie exec would work with "the anti-Christ" if it meant more profits for his company.

I don't think that he said Mel Gibson was the Anti-Christ.

A healthy 57-year-old woman dropped dead while watching the crucifixion scene in this movie. That makes me physically ill. It will take a while for the autopsy results but physicians believe that the intensity of viewing that amount of graphic violence could have triggered the heart failure.

It doesn't happen often but it does happen-- people do die of shock.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interestingly, it is widely assumed by the medical community that Christ died of shock in that he heart just could not take what was happeniung to him anymore. I wonder if that woman's family will sue. I mean Gibson has said he made it very very shocking to convey the message. Then again, if this woman knew that prior to seeing it and if she knew she had a weak heart

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interestingly, it is widely assumed by the medical community that Christ died of shock in that he heart just could not take what was happeniung to him anymore. I wonder if that woman's family will sue. I mean Gibson has said he made it very very shocking to convey the message. Then again, if this woman knew that prior to seeing it and if she knew she had a weak heart
The woman may have had an undiagnosed heart defect, which lead to her death. However, it's still very sad and shocking to me that she died during this film. Hollywood churns out hundreds of violent movies a year and you never hear of people having heart attacks during, for example, the Terminator or the Matrix.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And, my final question, who is actually going to see this movie on the board?
I'll see it if I get invited to a sceening. No chance I'll ever put money in Mel Gibson's pocket (proven nut case and gay baiting
dirtbag that he is.)
To think I used to like that guy. Truth be told, I just thought he was hot in The Year Of Living Dangerously and Mad Max. Sure he'd be thrilled about that. Probably would try and douse me with holy water or toss me out of a window.
If I see it I will comment on it, without a doubt. Trouble is, I am not a fan of graphic violence, so I may not put myself through it. I have to look away when I watch the Sopranos and someone gets killed.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
You can buy "merchandise" for this movie at local religious stores, Merchandise? That is a SICK joke IMO...What next, Crucifixion action figures???

Brian j.
This reminds me of the t-shirts you can buy when the Pope goes on tour ! LMAO ! It's all entertainment. Bread and circuses...bring 'em on !
Old 02-27-2004, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You missed what I was trying to say:

What is the point in producing, marketing, and watching a two-hour snuff film?

I would honestly like to know why people made a movie that is simply about the torture and crucifixion of the supposed son of God. This movie serves absolutely no purpose except for Gibson to make money. Anyone who tries to say that isn't the case is delusional. Just look at they pre-movie hype that he built up. He started doing it back in 2000 before he even had it financed.

I am on a response jag !

Mel Gibson doesn't need any more money. I think he made this movie out of his own need to "testify" and further what he believes. IMO, it is not a capitalist move, I think he really feels passionately (no pun intended) about the subject. Wouldn't surprise me if he says in an interview that he was divinely inspired, or got a text message from God instructing him to do it. From that interview with Diane Sawyer, I get the impression that such an event was about the next thing he was going to talk about.

Last edited by sparky; 02-27-2004 at 04:09 AM..
Old 02-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf
I think you misconstrued what the quote said. The talent agent simply meant that a movie executive was quite hypocritical to say that he would never work with Mel Gibson again, because a movie exec would work with "the anti-Christ" if it meant more profits for his company.

I don't think that he said Mel Gibson was the Anti-Christ.
You're right, I misread the article . I still think that guy was being a bit extream though.

Just one more thing about this movie....In my opinion, you can't sugar-coat something like a crucifiction; It's just not a pleasent thing to see. I don't know why people whine about it being too gory or violent, that's what it was like!
Old 02-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky
Probably would try and douse me with holy water or toss me out of a window.
...or crucify you.

I couldn't resist.

The fact is, I used to like Mel Gibson, he used to make some great movies (the Mad Max series, Forever Young, Man Without A Face, Bird On A Wire, etc.), but he hasn't made a good flick in years. Couple that with his whacked out religious ideologies and his current frame of mind, I wouldn't touch him with a ****-stained, 18-foot pole. As a person, he's lost my respect. As an actor, he's lost my wallet.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:51 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend not to let my personal views of someone's personal life keep me from seeing them in a movie. I would not want someone to fire me for my personal non work-related beliefs. A good example is Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, the Dixie Chicks, etc. Everyone has said people unfailrly judge their work, refuse to see their work, etc. because of their political postures. Yet, some of these same people refuse to see a Charlton Heston movie, a Mel Gibson movie, a Toby Keith song or whatever because of their views. I think that is a double standard I chose not to have. I tend to judge it on whether the content interests me. Also, when you get right down to it, everyone has done something in their lives that I probably do not like. That being said , Gibson's new movie is his personal belief. So, I think no double standard is applied if I say I choose not to go based on that.

But, to each their own!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world