Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Re: That would be...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847

I don't hate ANYONE.
Hmmm... didn't you say the other day that you hate Clay now?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: But...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
I think he came from New Jersey personally

He was a kosher butcher from Hoboken.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: But...

Quote:
Where did the bacteria come from? It just appeared one day?
From what I understand, it was scrapped off of God's left ear.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
You missed what I was trying to say:

What is the point in producing, marketing, and watching a two-hour snuff film?

I would honestly like to know why people made a movie that is simply about the torture and crucifixion of the supposed son of God. The people who are going to pay money to see it already know that Jesus supposedly died for their sins. This movie serves absolutely no purpose except for Gibson to make money. Anyone who tries to say that isn't the case is delusional. Just look at they pre-movie hype that he built up. He started doing it back in 2000 before he even had it financed.

I'll tell you one thing, though. I wish the late and great Pauline Kael was alive to review this film; she'd tell it like it is.
I agree Gibson, like every other producer in the world, did this hoping to make money. But, I see that separately than the issue of why make this move at all. I do not think it is a bad thing to make a film about the agony and/or passion of Christ just as I do not think it is inappropriate to make a flim about any "controversial" subject. I mean on slightly similar lines, is it inappropraite for Jewish people to make a film about Moses and their persecution by the Egyptians? Is it inappropriate to show the white masters beating their slaves to death even though not all masters did that? So, I conclude it is how people are using this film is that I object to.

Finally, the snuff reference is cute, but inappropriate as I do not think anyone is beating off to this film, although you never know as there are some sickos in this world

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Hmmm... didn't you say the other day that you hate Clay now?
No sir. I said I did not LIKE Clay anymore. I never said I hated him. I know you are teasing.

God has always been. He's the Alpha and Omega...Beginning and End. That's what I believe.

I am never going to believe we came from monkeys, I think that's absurd. Why are they still not evolving? They just decided to stop one day? LOL
Old 02-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: But...

Quote:
Where did the bacteria come from? It just appeared one day?
Thus, the marriage (am I allowed to use that word in this context ) of intelligent design and evolution!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Strand...

Are you saying that God created monkeys which evolved into people....or God made Adam and Eve and other stuff evolved? I'm confused.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: LOL

Quote:
I am never going to believe we came from monkeys, I think that's absurd. Why are they still not evolving? They just decided to stop one day? LOL
Did you not go to that website I posted The point is monkeys are still evolving. Humans are still evolving through the shrinking of the tailbone and appendix that serve no more useful purpose. I think you are missing the point. It will probably take 20,000 years for humans to no long have a tail bone and appendix. We will see in our short (perhaps 80 year lifetimes) little to no evidence of the physical evolution of man. if we lived 8,000 years - we would still see only a little more. Evolution is based on environment and useage. Seriously, go to that website and look around. The evidence is astounding. And - you do not have to throw away your beliefs in Creationism. They can go hand in hand.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To answer Dissention's question, no, I will not be going to see this film.

I am a Christian who believes Jesus Christ was the Son of God and came down to earth to be crucified for the sins of the world. But I am Episcopalian, raised in a church that, by nature, is more liberal [politically] and reserved with our expressions of faith. I consider my faith to be more of a private thing.

However, I will not be seeing this film because of the IMMENSE violence of it. My personal decision is that I will NOT be able to take it.

But my main problem is with Mel Gibson. If God really told him that he needed to make this movie, he would take ALL the profits-- I mean EVERY SINGLE PENNY and donate it to religious charities around the world. And the fact that people are making MONEY off the MERCHANDISING of this film (and the fact that there's merchandising at ALL) completely sickens me.

And I still have my doubts about his claims that he is not an anti-semite. The fact is that he is a Conservative Catholic who has stated in interviews that he does not subscribe to the beliefs of Vatican II [one of which is the Pope's dictate that the Jews were not responsible for the death of Jesus]. And his father's comments are DISTURBING. [See previous thread I posted] I understand that Mel is not his father, but the fact is that those
comments have effected him.

To be an anti-semite is to be anti-Christian. Christianity, of course, sprung from Judaism. Jesus was a Jew. I just don't get how someone who claims to be Christian can be an anti-semite.

This movie is dangerous. This, combined with Dubya pushing the right wing Christian Coalition agenda that is pushing us closer towards the spectrum of theocracy [whatever happened to the separation of church and state] is pushing me closer and closer to packing my bags and moving to Toronto.

Last edited by Merf; 02-26-2004 at 01:52 PM..
Old 02-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Strand...

Quote:
Are you saying that God created monkeys which evolved into people....or God made Adam and Eve and other stuff evolved? I'm confused.
I am saying that Adam and Eve are not literal human beings. They represent evolution of nature. Many faiths believe this. Put it this way, if we all literally came from the same parents, then why are were we not dead after about three generations from in breeding? Why are we still evolving?

Old 02-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, it is entirely possible that monkeys were once human beings that evolved to fit their environment, although the evidence available today suggests it was the other way around.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: LOL

Quote:
No sir. I said I did not LIKE Clay anymore. I never said I hated him. I know you are teasing.

God has always been. He's the Alpha and Omega...Beginning and End. That's what I believe.

Chrissy, you know I like to tease you, so I'm glad you don't take offense. Besides, how could I ever be mad at the second biggest Lindsey fan out there?

But on a more serious note: Anthropologists have discovered skeletons of humans who were living in different places at the same time in history. Some were more ape-like and others were more human like us. Notice that people in different parts of the world look different. The fact that apes are still around doesn't negate that we were all descendent from apes. Also, before the apes, came an aquatic life form.

And when I made the bacteria joke, that is actually a theory. I don't remember enough about it, but it's out there.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:04 PM

By the way, Chrissy, I'm not trying to get you to believe in the monkey theory. I'm just making the point that the current existence of monkeys does not negate the theory of evolution.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Re: LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Evolution is based on environment and useage.
You know what that means folks, right? You'd better have yeselves lots a sex or you're gonna lose it.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
And when I made the bacteria joke, that is actually a theory. I don't remember enough about it, but it's out there.
Actually, that and more information are on that site I posted earlier.

I tell ya - I do ALL of the due diligence around here and am grossly underappreciated - SHEEBUS