The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First of all sparky, I hate the word homo, I mean, you implied you are gay right and you use that word? Whatever.

Second of all, this is one person's take on the crucifiction. I don't know if I agree with it. What good does it do for people to see this? Half will be offended and the other half will be too sick to even watch.

You read the Bible and it tells you what Jesus went through, why do we have to see it? God knows we know what...let's say Ted Bundy did to women, do we have to SEE it. In my mind the gross factor can be compared.

I believe Jesus did go through all that but I don't know why we have to see it.

I know many people aren't religious on this board, but please respect those that are...this topic is more fragile than the election topic.

We can choose not to like Mel Gibson, we can question his motives and we can certainly question the marketing ( spreading the word vs. poor taste) but let's just kind of stay clear from saying Jesus DIDN'T suffer as much, we don't know do we. We can't make such claims!!!

We have to be tolerant. Mel Gibson wanted to push buttons no doubt...and he wanted to maybe stir up some talk of religion, and what we believe. But his death are what's seperates the Catholics the Protestants and the Jews. Thats why this movie is just so touchy...as well as the violence.

I think it's unecesarry...I wouldn't want to think someone got "saved" because they saw what Jesus went through and felt sorry for Him..you know?

but I also think we should keep an open mind with each other and not tear each other down for what we believe and who we are.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
I know many people aren't religious on this board, but please respect those that are...this topic is more fragile than the election topic.

We can choose not to like Mel Gibson, we can question his motives and we can certainly question the marketing ( spreading the word vs. poor taste) but let's just kind of stay clear from saying Jesus DIDN'T suffer as much, we don't know do we. We can't make such claims!!!
I have to jump in.

Respect isn't a one way street. People should have respect for people with religious beliefs, and those who have religious beliefs should have respect for those who don't. Having said that, people who have no religious beliefs (myself included) have every right to say that (a) Jesus never existed, (b) Jesus was not the son of God, or (c) Jesus did or didn't suffer as much.

We have to let every person have their say in what their belief is, and if they believe that Jesus didn't suffer as much or that he didn't exist, they have every right to say so.

Just my thoughts.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I have to jump in.
Sounds like "I cry foul" to me

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Sounds like "I cry foul" to me

Old 03-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alison

I feel a lot Of hate and anger coming from you Sparky. I don't know your story. But, I feel some gay people are bashing Gibson and Christians on this ledge. And what is up with , " the man breeds like a rat".
Yes Mel has five kids, what is wrong with that? I happen to have five kids also, and they are a blessing. End up on your team. VS whos team. I didn't think we were on teams here. You want to be accepted for who you are, then accept us for who we are. I do not know all the things Gibson has said, but you have the same intolerance.
Also many of you have judged the movie with out even seeing it.
If this movie was about someone else besides, Jesus. Would you guys even care.

Alison, let me clarify a few things.

I don't hate Mel Gibson. Some of his comments have made me very angry - since many impressionable people, young and old alike, seem to take the words and opinions of celebrities as another kind of gospel. Sure, I am defensive. Any filmmaker who highlights a story point in a movie where a gay man is tossed out a window- and constructs the scene and character in such a way as the audience is basically instructed to laugh and cheer - that person is inches away from condoning violence against gay people. If gay people weren't so frequently killed on the streets of this country, I might not be so quick to rile. If a similar scene was done with a Christian as the tossee - you'd be fairly angry and defensive too !

Since I think Mr. Gibson is a bit of a crackpot - I am eager to take potshots at him. Of course he and everyone else has a right to have as many kids as they want. Last time I looked at the freeways (full), the forests (dwindling or gone), the streets(littered), the schools (packed full), and many third world countries(overpopulated to the point of starvation and people reduced to living in filth and squalor), I found that my longstanding feeling about family size makes sense. I think we have too many people.
Large families seem a little short sighted and irresponsible to me.
But, I am not trying to amend the constitution over it and am not planning to toss anyone out a window !

Ultimately, we are hopefully all on the same tram, in theory.
My comments regarding teams in my post are about my sincere hope that anyone who is frankly intolerant and nasty about any group deserves to be educated up close and personal. If Mr. Gibson had a kid who turned out to be on my team(i.e. gay), I think it would be poetic justice.

Like I said before, I haven't seen the movie yet. But I might. When I do, you can be sure I will have something to say.

Not every religious person has attitudes like Fred Phelps, but the ones who do will not pass me without comment. Considering their words can and have been used as twisted justifications for violence - I feel quite certain I am on solid grounds to speak my mind.

BTW, as they say, many of my best friends are Christians. I love them all dearly. Each of us deserves to be accepted for the people we are.

Whew. Hope I clarified.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First of all sparky, I hate the word homo, I mean, you implied you are gay right and you use that word? Whatever.
I don't mind the word, Janet. It works for me. The word gay has always seemed silly, and queer sounds goofy. I don't like most of the words. They all sound strange to me.

"Homo" offends me the least, and has a nice ring to it. Sorry if it offends you. At least it's accurate and derived from a legit scientific/medical term !
Old 03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sparky... I admire you for standing on what you believe.
I may not agree with all of your point of views, but at least you let people know how you stand.
I did not know all this about Mel Gibson, I have seen few of his movies. I just know about his upbringing and some of the things he had to go through. Who is Fred phelps?
I have not seen the Passion yet either, but I plan to at some point. Anyway, when you see the movie, please view it with an open mind and heart.
Alison
Old 03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fred Phelps is wacked out reverend from Kansas who has his fun by picketing funerals of people who died from AIDS and whose latest project is erected a monument announcing that Mathew Shepard entered hell upon the day of his death. Real barrel of monkeys.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Good grief!

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky
Fred Phelps is wacked out reverend from Kansas who has his fun by picketing funerals of people who died from AIDS and whose latest project is erected a monument announcing that Mathew Shepard entered hell upon the day of his death. Real barrel of monkeys.

What a dip. That's NOT the kind of Christianity *I* practice.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Good grief!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847

Christy, I think I speak for people from across the spectrum when I say that's not Christianity, period.

- Jake
Old 03-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Jake...

Very true.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I have to jump in.

Respect isn't a one way street. People should have respect for people with religious beliefs, and those who have religious beliefs should have respect for those who don't. Having said that, people who have no religious beliefs (myself included) have every right to say that (a) Jesus never existed, (b) Jesus was not the son of God, or (c) Jesus did or didn't suffer as much.

We have to let every person have their say in what their belief is, and if they believe that Jesus didn't suffer as much or that he didn't exist, they have every right to say so.

Just my thoughts.

I just feel thats so terribly wrong to judge how bad someone was hurt. If anyone gets hurt in someway, I just find it that its downright offensive to try to tell that person how bad they feel or how terribly they are suffering. I think thats someone only the person suffering can judge. I just feel that way...
Old 03-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Good grief!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847

Amen!!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Good grief!

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
Christy, I think I speak for people from across the spectrum when I say that's not Christianity, period.

- Jake
Double Amen. It reminds me of that saying that if Jesus came back and saw what these people were doing to his message of kindness, he would be appalled.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just feel thats so terribly wrong to judge how bad someone was hurt. If anyone gets hurt in someway, I just find it that its downright offensive to try to tell that person how bad they feel or how terribly they are suffering. I think thats someone only the person suffering can judge. I just feel that way...
Being the dizzy one that I am, I am unsure of what you are saying

Are you saying Mel Gibson inappropriately commented on or judged how much Christ was hurt? Gibson's movie acknowledges that Christ was hurt. But, if I get what you are saying, Gibson then inappropriately portrays this hurt by subjectively taking it to the most extreme way that it could have happened. Or, were you responding only to Dissention's comments?