Shake Your Moneymaker 3 21.43%
I Loved Another Woman 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1968 FM album - Winners Battle

Alright Ledgies...

Vote for your favorite song between Jeremy's "Shake Your Moneymaker" and Peter's "I Loved Another Woman." The winner goes on to represent this album as Favorite Song.

Poll closes Friday afternoon.

Any other thoughts or comments about this album? How well does this album represent the Blues genre?

Check out the sticky thread on the Rumours forum for more info on the FM "Battle of the Songs."
Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default da blooze

for its time this was miles above what was out there from across the pond as a blues record

The only equivalent was the first Paul Butterfield album a couple of years earlier

Nowadays it could be viewed differently, notably hat it lacked a cohesive theme . otherwise it stands still as a good genre album

doodyhead
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
for its time this was miles above what was out there from across the pond as a blues record

The only equivalent was the first Paul Butterfield album a couple of years earlier

Nowadays it could be viewed differently, notably hat it lacked a cohesive theme . otherwise it stands still as a good genre album

doodyhead
Actually I think the album takes the first Paul Butterfield album to the next level. All one needs to to do is compare the "Shake Your Moneymaker"'s. A friend of mine has complained for years that Paul Rothchild's production for the first two Paul Butterfield Blues Band albums lacked that Chess records sound from Chicago. Don't forget he later produced The Doors, a true L.A. producer. Mike Vernon had that Chicago production "sound" down to a science while FM was with Blue Horizon.

The first FM album is the thorn in the side of many "white" NPR self-loathing blues enthusiasts who think white artists (especially from the UK) can't play the blues.

BTW, favorite Paul Butterfield Blues Band song with Mike Bloomfield: "Work Song", from "East West". It's a Nat Adderley tune, the brother of Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, both were jazz musicians. I love how PB arranged this song to balance the fine line between jazz, and blues.

Last edited by slipkid; 08-25-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Old 08-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Actually I think the album takes the first Paul Butterfield album to the next level. All one needs to to do is compare the "Shake Your Moneymaker"'s. A friend of mine has complained for years that Paul Rothchild's production for the first two Paul Butterfield Blues Band albums lacked that Chess records sound from Chicago. Don't forget he later produced The Doors, a true L.A. producer. Mike Vernon had that Chicago production "sound" down to a science while FM was with Blue Horizon.

The first FM album is the thorn in the side of many "white" NPR self-loathing blues enthusiasts who think white artists (especially from the UK) can't play the blues.

BTW, favorite Paul Butterfield Blues Band song with Mike Bloomfield: "Work Song", from "East West". It's a Nat Adderley tune, the brother of Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, both were jazz musicians. I love how PB arranged this song to balance the fine line between jazz, and blues.
also my favorite butterfield album.
in many ways East/West was was touchstone for american white blues bands as well.
precursor jazz blues fusion as well.

doodyhead, mel and vinnie

Last edited by doodyhead; 08-26-2010 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: incomplete
Old 08-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post

Always thought that argument (about the original FM or any other "white" blues band) was BS!!! Pure and simple.

I like BB King's stance on the issue: No black, no white, nothing but the blues.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Poll update

Poll closes in a few hours...
Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Winner Update

With 11 votes "I Loved Another Woman" wins for Favorite Song from the 1968 FM album.

Onward we go to, Mr. Wonderful.
Closed Thread