Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
well to me, and I'm sure many others, there's hardly a difference
In my mind, songs that were recorded under the FM name are FM songs and solo songs are solo songs. I never liked it when FM performed Stand Back or Go Insane. They have too deep a treasure trove to chose from to play solo stuff as a band. I'm hoping not to hear any solo stuff from Stevie or new members on the upcoming tour.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Because the songs are pretentious and annoying as is his voice and delivery.
Have to disagree with this statement. Out of the Cradle, Gift of Screws and Under the Skin are all great solo records and probably should have spawned radio hits for Lindsey. I'm not sure what the public bias is, but I enjoy Lindsey's solo work as well as his work with FM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
Have to disagree with this statement. Out of the Cradle, Gift of Screws and Under the Skin are all great solo records and probably should have spawned radio hits for Lindsey. I'm not sure what the public bias is, but I enjoy Lindsey's solo work as well as his work with FM.
His stuff just lacks mass appeal, the music and he himself do not have an allure or mystique to most, in fact they are just irritating. Sorry.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
His stuff just lacks mass appeal, the music and he himself do not have an allure or mystique to most, in fact they are just irritating. Sorry.
I like Lindsey but I do agree with part of this. He was never gonna be a solo success commercially because aside from the fact that he mostly never wanted to make music that appealed to the masses, he just doesn't have that 'star' quality. Whether he intends to or not, he comes off too serious a lot of the time and just isn't that much a people person. He's gotten better over the years but back in the 80s he had issues and it showed in interviews, he always just seemed uncomfortable.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know I'll get roasted for this, even though it's a genuinely sincere question, but I would love an actual adult conversation about this: why is it that Lindsey's songs, with FM and solo, aren't hit singles? Go Your Own Way, Tusk, Big Love, and Trouble are the only hit songs he's written and performed. To this day, I'm confused as to why Holiday Road only peaked at #82, I think. It gets more airplay today than Trouble, certainly.

With FM, is it because more of his songs weren't actually released as singles? Monday Morning seemed like an obvious single, and so did Second Hand News. I think those two songs would have been hits, so why weren't they released?

Solo songs, after Trouble, Lindsey never seemed to get radio airplay. In fact, the radio would play Big Love by FM, but I always suspected if it had been a solo record, it would have been ignored by radio. Always seemed weird to me. Anybody have any theories. And can we keep it polite, with no snarky comments on either side?
I heard that some of his songs in the 80s played on the radio somewhat frequently. Idk how well they charted but I remember watching one of his weird music videos from I think Go Insane and in the comments people were talking about how they remembered the song and video from their college days and things like that.
Holiday Road is different because it was just another movie theme song when it first came out but later on became a cult classic alongside the movie itself. People love that song and I can see why because it's literally just a catchy hook repeated over and over.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Holiday Road is a classic. It puts a smile on everyone’s face.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
They just announced on the radio she's returning as long lost ghost Coco Puffington.
Thought she was returning as the white witch she played in Coven.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Holiday Road is a classic. It puts a smile on everyone’s face.

That’s for sure. It has to easily be his most recognizable solo song. Someone somewhere failed miserably marketing the song at least for Lindsey’s sake. The popularity of that song is not properly owned by Lindsey. Sure it mainly just goes hand in hand with the movie series, but there should have been a slightly better effort to push the fact that it was a Lindsey Buckingham Song.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 08-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Please save Misty Day.
I'll like Stevie again if she saves Misty Day. Misty can't be dissecting frogs for an eternity. She was too beautiful a soul to be doing that.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:39 AM

http://crystallineknowledge.tumblr.com/post/177162078687/stevies-trailer-on-the-set-of-american-horror
Old 08-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I'll like Stevie again if she saves Misty Day. Misty can't be dissecting frogs for an eternity. She was too beautiful a soul to be doing that.
That decision pissed me off so much I stopped watching the show unless I heard Stevie would be on it. So guess I'll be watching again for the first time in a long time. Show, redeem yourself!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

This is pretty awesome!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Thought she was returning as the white witch she played in Coven.
That was a joke dude or dudess...
Old 08-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I know I'll get roasted for this, even though it's a genuinely sincere question, but I would love an actual adult conversation about this: why is it that Lindsey's songs, with FM and solo, aren't hit singles? Go Your Own Way, Tusk, Big Love, and Trouble are the only hit songs he's written and performed. To this day, I'm confused as to why Holiday Road only peaked at #82, I think. It gets more airplay today than Trouble, certainly.

With FM, is it because more of his songs weren't actually released as singles? Monday Morning seemed like an obvious single, and so did Second Hand News. I think those two songs would have been hits, so why weren't they released?

Solo songs, after Trouble, Lindsey never seemed to get radio airplay. In fact, the radio would play Big Love by FM, but I always suspected if it had been a solo record, it would have been ignored by radio. Always seemed weird to me. Anybody have any theories. And can we keep it polite, with no snarky comments on either side?
The answer is: No one knows. I just watched Lindsey's behind the music that was filmed right after Out of the Cradle tour. That album had the best reviews with some saying it was one of the best albums EVER. Clearly that album could have had several radio hits. Lindsey admitted himself that he found it frustrating that his creative hit production that worked so well with the Mac did not work in his solo career. Out of the cradle and the tour were not successful which really hurt Lindsey and he openly admitted that. Everyone knows who Stevie Nicks is even before she went solo. Not many know who Lindsey is. He does have great songs that could have been hits but I don't think there is an explanation why his solo career is not commercially successful.
But its not just Lindsey. Same situation with the Go-Gos. Belinda was the least talented while Jane Wiedlin wrote most of the songs and music of all the hits of the Go Gos. Belinda had a more successful solo career than even the Go Gos. Jane opened stated how frustrated she was that her solo career went nowhere even though she was the magic behind all of the Go Go's success.
There is no answer to this question. IMHO the lack of success as a solo artist is why Lindsey went back to the band in 1997 and stayed there. If he had a successful solo career, I don't think he would have went back.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-22-2018 at 07:31 AM..