The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Ledgie

(Mirage promo 1982) Lindsey: "Hi, Im Lindsey Buckingham. We want you to fly you in for an MTV one night stand with Fleetwood Mac. We'll even throw in the Lear jet. Details soon on MTV."

Does anybody know what the prize consisted of besides the Lear jet or if this contest ever materialized?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmonta4 View Post
(Mirage promo 1982) Lindsey: "Hi, Im Lindsey Buckingham. We want you to fly you in for an MTV one night stand with Fleetwood Mac. We'll even throw in the Lear jet. Details soon on MTV."

Does anybody know what the prize consisted of besides the Lear jet or if this contest ever materialized?
It was real. Some man won it.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That Jet Experience strikes me, well, it actually doesn't strike me so much as outright repel me. Meet and Greet packages haven't ever passed my smell test. But this more than verges on a type of prostitution. It isn't very dignified.

But hey, if you're gonna make your living on your back, better in a suite in the Plaza than in a truck stop. Maybe the price elevates the perception of the act in a way that erases the indignity of it all.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
That Jet Experience strikes me, well, it actually doesn't strike me so much as outright repel me. Meet and Greet packages haven't ever passed my smell test. But this more than verges on a type of prostitution. It isn't very dignified.

But hey, if you're gonna make your living on your back, better in a suite in the Plaza than in a truck stop. Maybe the price elevates the perception of the act in a way that erases the indignity of it all.
i agree.

has anyone done a mick meet and greet before?

is it rushed - like a ten second meet and a quick picture?

also how many other people are also there for the meet and greet? 50? 100?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Look... I'm sure everybody here has worked in a job where they were just in it purely for the money- jobs that were either extremely stressful or degrading or both. You could have probably taken a better, more honorable job... but the low pay wouldn't justify it. As such, I don't begrudge Mick for doing this; if there is a market for this ultra-VIP experience, why leave perfectly good money on the table? Is it expensive and out-of-reach for 99.99% of the population? Of course! It's intended to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for a select few, not a cattle car full of "commoners." Unlike Stevie or Lindsey, Mick doesn't earn publishing royalties and he doesn't really make money as a musician outside of Fleetwood Mac during the down years. Sure, he has a restaurant, but it is entirely possible that Fleetwood's on Front Street is still operating in the red, which is typical for any new restaurant. When you combine his lack of a well-paying gig for the past three years with the (assumed) large overhead associated with his lavish Maui spread and an impending divorce, it all adds up to a potential financial cliff. Considering that this could possibly be Fleetwood Mac's last major world tour, he needs to ensure that he can sustain his financial well being in retirement, as well as provide for his young children. And the restaurant may not be profitable for years, if ever.

Is Mick proud of doing something like this? Probably not. But obviously he isn't exactly ashamed of it either. Mick is a bit of a talker and I think he probably thoroughly enjoys talking the s*** with fans and showing off glimpses of his rock and roll lifestyle. While taking such a VIP trip with someone as introverted and socially awkward as Lindsey may be a tortuous marathon of pregnant pauses and weirdness, I would imagine that Mick would be a generous, attentive, voluble host.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Look... I'm sure everybody here has worked in a job where they were just in it purely for the money- jobs that were either extremely stressful or degrading or both. You could have probably taken a better, more honorable job... but the low pay wouldn't justify it. As such, I don't begrudge Mick for doing this; if there is a market for this ultra-VIP experience, why leave perfectly good money on the table? Is it expensive and out-of-reach for 99.99% of the population? Of course! It's intended to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for a select few, not a cattle car full of "commoners." Unlike Stevie or Lindsey, Mick doesn't earn publishing royalties and he doesn't really make money as a musician outside of Fleetwood Mac during the down years. Sure, he has a restaurant, but it is entirely possible that Fleetwood's on Front Street is still operating in the red, which is typical for any new restaurant. When you combine his lack of a well-paying gig for the past three years with the (assumed) large overhead associated with his lavish Maui spread and an impending divorce, it all adds up to a potential financial cliff. Considering that this could possibly be Fleetwood Mac's last major world tour, he needs to ensure that he can sustain his financial well being in retirement, as well as provide for his young children. And the restaurant may not be profitable for years, if ever.

Is Mick proud of doing something like this? Probably not. But obviously he isn't exactly ashamed of it either. Mick is a bit of a talker and I think he probably thoroughly enjoys talking the s*** with fans and showing off glimpses of his rock and roll lifestyle. While taking such a VIP trip with someone as introverted and socially awkward as Lindsey may be a tortuous marathon of pregnant pauses and weirdness, I would imagine that Mick would be a generous, attentive, voluble host.
I've done meet and greets with Lindsey in the past as well as run into him a few times outside of shows and he's always been very pleasant and not awkward to speak to and I've had some very enjoyable conversations with him. He may not be the most outgoing person, but I've never felt that he is uncomfortable or awkward speaking to fans.

Last edited by redtulip; 02-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick doesn't earn publishing royalties and he doesn't really make money as a musician outside of Fleetwood Mac during the down years.
He would earn performer royalties on all Mac records, and, because the band lists the entire band as producer on many of their records (Rumours for one) he also earns producer royalties on all records sold where that is the case. Yes, they split that 5 ways among the band and with whoever the outside producer(s) were but he's still getting royalty checks when the band isn't doing new work. Not the same money as when you can add in songwriting royalties and publishing royalties as well but it's not bad at all. It's only a problem if your lifestyle exceeds that income and whatever income you arranged through investments.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
I've done meet and greets with Lindsey in the past as well as run into him a few times outside of shows and he's always been very pleasant and not awkward to speak to and I've had some very enjoyable conversations with him. He may not be the most outgoing person, but I've never felt that he is uncomfortable or awkward speaking to fans.
yes, i am surprised that so many people who bought Mick's m&g tickets because of the good seating options are feeling they will have nothing to talk about with him. he seems like a very pleasant person to talk to and i'm sure meeting him should be interesting experience.

i agree about Lindsey too - he seems to be naturally introverted but that really didn't come across at all during all those meet&greets he did last year (which were so cheap that making money couldn't have been the goal; whatever reason he had for doing them i'm ecstatic that he did and that i had some opportunity to talk to him). there were no awkward pauses, and he was very pleasant.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes, i am surprised that so many people who bought Mick's m&g tickets because of the good seating options are feeling they will have nothing to talk about with him. he seems like a very pleasant person to talk to and i'm sure meeting him should be interesting experience.

i agree about Lindsey too - he seems to be naturally introverted but that really didn't come across at all during all those meet&greets he did last year (which were so cheap that making money couldn't have been the goal; whatever reason he had for doing them i'm ecstatic that he did and that i had some opportunity to talk to him). there were no awkward pauses, and he was very pleasant.
I bought one M&G ticket and I honestly don't have anything to ask Mick other than a barrage of questions about Christine. I am mostly doing it just for the sake of getting a guaranteed front row spot.

Yes, I'm sure Lindsey is quite pleasant and affable in a brief, controlled meeting. But I'm talking about flying around in a private jet, going out to dinner, going golfing, and all of the other VIP package activities. That's a lot of time with Lindsey. And when you spend that much time with someone, you can't spend the entire time asking niggling questions about his music and career. And that's when it gets awkward. You either run out of things to talk about within a couple of hours, or you have to kinda just talk about life and stuff. Lindsey doesn't strike me as the type of person who just talks about random stuff with strangers. And it's probably considered invasive to ask about his personal life, especially if it concerns his wife, his kids or Stevie. So what else? Politics? OMG, what if he is some kind of Fox News-addicted right wingnut? It's highly, highly unlikely, but what if you start talking about politics and then have a massive argument? We all know about Lindsey's (alleged) anger management issues!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
He would earn performer royalties on all Mac records, and, because the band lists the entire band as producer on many of their records (Rumours for one) he also earns producer royalties on all records sold where that is the case. Yes, they split that 5 ways among the band and with whoever the outside producer(s) were but he's still getting royalty checks when the band isn't doing new work. Not the same money as when you can add in songwriting royalties and publishing royalties as well but it's not bad at all. It's only a problem if your lifestyle exceeds that income and whatever income you arranged through investments.
Oh, I'm sure Mick gets some kind of performance royalties. But, as you said, it's a sliver of a sliver of a sliver. It's probably enough to live on if he was living alone in a non-luxury condo in Miami. But papa gots bills to pay. And considering that he filed for bankruptcy in the late 80s/early 90s, it's safe to say that most of the Rumours money has been squandered/snorted. Yes, by most people's standards, he is still very wealthy. But given his lifestyle and obligations, I think it probably unnerves him somewhat to go for long periods of time without making a big payday.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure Lindsey is quite pleasant and affable in a brief, controlled meeting. But I'm talking about flying around in a private jet, going out to dinner, going golfing, and all of the other VIP package activities. That's a lot of time with Lindsey. And when you spend that much time with someone, you can't spend the entire time asking niggling questions about his music and career. And that's when it gets awkward. You either run out of things to talk about within a couple of hours, or you have to kinda just talk about life and stuff. Lindsey doesn't strike me as the type of person who just talks about random stuff with strangers. And it's probably considered invasive to ask about his personal life, especially if it concerns his wife, his kids or Stevie. So what else? Politics? OMG, what if he is some kind of Fox News-addicted right wingnut?
well, luckily you will never have to worry about whether or not you can feel at ease and can carry a normal conversation with Lindsey since it's Mick and not him offering these .

if i remember correctly, at the time One Take first came out, there was a lot of characterization of LB as a cadillac liberal so i don't think you'd have to worry about his political inclinations.

the one FM member i could never see myself beeing able to spend any time with is Stevie... maybe it would be ok when she was younger, but she seems to never stop talking these days. i know too many people like that in real life and don't think i'd be able to stand it for entertainment purposes too. she also seems to be someone you'd have to walk around on the eggshells ("you wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan!" comes to mind), and i'm not sure about her political views.

John definitely seems to have very different political views from what mine may be, but somehow i'm thinking i could find something to talk about with John, although from all we know he's probably the one who is the least talkative of that bunch, if you are worried about the pregnant pauses.

Christine looks like she'd be really interesting to spend some time with... but like you said, it's hard to tell, we really don't know these people outside of their public persona.

so if i had my pick of spending some time with any of the 5, it would probably be Lindsey, Christine, and Mick, in that order.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, I'm sure Lindsey is quite pleasant and affable in a brief, controlled meeting. But I'm talking about flying around in a private jet, going out to dinner, going golfing, and all of the other VIP package activities. That's a lot of time with Lindsey. And when you spend that much time with someone, you can't spend the entire time asking niggling questions about his music and career. And that's when it gets awkward. You either run out of things to talk about within a couple of hours, or you have to kinda just talk about life and stuff. Lindsey doesn't strike me as the type of person who just talks about random stuff with strangers. And it's probably considered invasive to ask about his personal life, especially if it concerns his wife, his kids or Stevie. So what else? Politics? OMG, what if he is some kind of Fox News-addicted right wingnut? It's highly, highly unlikely, but what if you start talking about politics and then have a massive argument? We all know about Lindsey's (alleged) anger management issues!
I wouldn't expect to talk to Mick or anyone else during an entire flight. Hopefully, if they sell all 6 tickets, the buyers will be mostly talking to each other or enjoying the sights and not engaging the celebrity. I wouldn't want Mick to talk to ME for the whole flight, so I know I wouldn't be trying to talk to him. Although, how long will flights really be, the tour stops are pretty close together.

As for Lindsey, you know he's a Democrat; you're just being devilish. Also, while I imagine talking about Stevie and band politics is off limits, I don't think he minds talking about his kids.

Michele
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wouldn't expect to talk to Mick or anyone else during an entire flight. Hopefully, if they sell all 6 tickets, the buyers will be mostly talking to each other or enjoying the sights and not engaging the celebrity. I wouldn't want Mick to talk to ME for the whole flight, so I know I wouldn't be trying to talk to him. Although, how long will flights really be, the tour stops are pretty close together.
you don't think in-flight entertainment by the celebrity is included in the price?

guess not, it's not listed on that flyer.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

As for Lindsey, you know he's a Democrat; you're just being devilish. Also, while I imagine talking about Stevie and band politics is off limits, I don't think he minds talking about his kids.

Michele
On a private jet, I don't think there are many places to hide. And if Mick has guests, I don't think he would be so rude as to tune them out for long periods of time. He will probably spend prolonged periods of time interacting or serving bottles of wine or something. And high tea every afternoon is a given.

I'm not 100% sure about Lindsey's stand on the issues, but yes, he is probably a limousine liberal. Although I'm sure he probably experiences momentary flashes of right wing rage whenever he sees most of his income handed over to the government (I know the feeling too! ). Also, given his extremely private nature, I suspect he is extremely protective of his kids, and that's a line I'm sure most fans would respect.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm not 100% sure about Lindsey's stand on the issues, but yes, he is probably a limousine liberal. Although I'm sure he probably experiences momentary flashes of right wing rage whenever he sees most of his income handed over to the government (I know the feeling too! ). Also, given his extremely private nature, I suspect he is extremely protective of his kids, and that's a line I'm sure most fans would respect.
Anne Heche said she had to verify that Lindsey was a liberal Dem, before dating him, but , of course, that was 20 years ago now.

You know, Lindsey (or Kristen) wasn't that protective of his kids when they were small. I doubt that that has changed a lot now that they're older and more independent. I have never seen Stella talking to fans, but those older two would run around rather freely before the concert started and if people wanted to talk to them, they did.

Michele