User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Baby, It's Cold Outside!!

OHH Its beyond cold here in Rhode Island!! My car still won't start. Thankfully I don't have to work today cause it's Saturday. Hopefully it will start later on so I can go out and get a few things.

Can you believe that there is a football playoff game in Foxboro, Massachusetts today?

Here is the article about the cold in New England and the Northeast.

BELCHERTOWN, Mass. (Jan. 10) - Extreme cold gripped the Northeast with wind chill readings well below zero, forcing even the hardiest New Englanders to think twice before venturing outside. In New York, the wind chill reached minus 26 degrees in one city.

The cold was expected to get worse before warmer air emerges Sunday.

''It's just dry, frigid, your-ears-are-going-to-fall-off cold,'' said Patra McCafferty, 19, a student at Johnson and Wales University in Providence, R.I., who warmed up on Friday between classes in front of a fireplace at a Starbucks.

The cold prompted Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass., to lift its ban on blankets and sleeping bags for Saturday night's game between the New England Patriots and the Tennessee Titans.

''You just prepare for it,'' said 33-year-old Marc Civilinski, who holds Patriots season tickets. ''You get there early. You have a few steak tips.''

In Syracuse, N.Y., where the wind chill was minus 26 degrees, the school system canceled classes for 22,000 students. The actual daytime high was minus 2.

''Not only do we have kids waiting at bus stops, we have a lot of walkers,'' said Neil Driscoll, a school district spokesman. ''Temperatures this low are dangerous.''

Homeless shelters in Rhode Island were filled beyond capacity, and churches were helping with the overflow. Not all of the occupants were homeless, either - just heatless.

''People are quite desperate. They're begging me to give them money so they can pay their gas or utility bills,'' said Cristina Amedeo, a director at one shelter.
Despite bright sunshine, the temperature in New York City had dropped to 15 by midafternoon. A normal high for the date in Central Park would be 38.

''How come it's always winter when we're below normal?'' asked Sondra Levy, only her eyes visible beneath a hooded parka as she rushed a street in suburban White Plains. ''I don't suppose we'll get 20 below normal in August.''

The National Weather Service predicted an overnight low of 7 degrees in New York City and minus 5 in the suburbs, with wind chills making it seem as cold as 20 below.

Two towns in Vermont, Sutton and East Berkshire, each registered actual lows of minus 35 Friday.

Diana Simpson, who works on her family's farm in Sutton, did not look at the thermometer before she went out to the barn at 4:30 a.m. ''Sometimes if I don't know how cold it is, it doesn't seem as bad,'' she said.
Many people were going about their normal routines despite the cold.

In Fort Drum, N.Y., where it was minus 18 at dawn with a wind chill of 35 below zero, soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division and National Guardsmen held their usual training activities.

''It's like any other day,'' said R.D. Murphy, a post spokesman. ''They dress in layers. They're out there marching, although they might be moving a little slower.''

Boston's record low for Jan. 10 is minus 1 - set in 1875. Worcester, about 45 miles away, hit minus 5 on the same day in 1968. Providence, R.I., was minus 3 in 1982, and Hartford, Conn., was minus 8 in 1942.

''The real meat of the cold is here in New England,'' said weather service meteorologist Charlie Foley in Taunton, Mass. ''This cold is coming right from the North Pole.''
Old 01-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm jelous of the kids in Rhode Island... We almost had 70 mph winds, and the temperauture dropped to almos 40 below one town.... School was only cancelled at one school, on the first day...
Old 01-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My sympathies. I hate cold weather, and I've lived in Philly and Chicago in addition to going to school in Wisconsin. The afternoon college winter break began, when I was driving one friend to Chicago and another to the east coast with me, my car wouldn't start. The wind chill was around 55 below. And the cold in Chicago felt worse than that when I lived there.
Stay warm, and if you needed anoither excuse to leave New England for a spell to follow Mac members, you've got it.

- Jake
Old 01-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Brrrrr!

I think it was supposed to only be 15 in Pittsburgh today....which is why I decided this would be perfect for a "stay-in-your-pajamas-all-day" day!

But all those people going out for the Patriots' game....man, I love football, but I don't know if I could sit outside for that one!

STAY WARM!
Old 01-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's 66 degrees here today.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Hey! No need to rub it in. It's 15 degrees out and when you add in the windchill factor? Let's just say i'm not goin' anywhere tonight...it's COOOLD!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Really?

I wish this cold spell would end NOW!!
Old 01-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

We had the cold spell here last week. So maybe this nice weather is coming your way.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, it's sunny and warm here in New Mexico, even in the "cold" parts...we're having a record warm winter...and it actually ticks me off!!!!

I don't like the extreme cold, but I'd like to wear my coat and some of the sweaters I have...actually I would just like to experience season....here we just have hot, hotter, and Satan's pants hot....BUT on the bright side it really isn't as bad as Phoenix or Vegas