The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-03-2020, 03:18 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Does it really matter? It’s semantics, which this board painfully pisses over. Who gives a crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I could see it being Mick’s idea, I could see it being Irving’s idea, and I could see it being Stevie’s idea. Again, who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Again, pissing over semantics.
With respect, this is a message board. So does anything on this message board really matter other than a serious discussion of a social issue in Chit Chat?

I think people come here to escape problems in their real life like illness, homelessness, adultery, etc. We're not in a college course so shouldn't people be able to have a free exchange of ideas without being met with belittling questions like "Who cares?"

What should the answer to "Who cares?" be: "You don't so I won't post like that anymore. Sorry!"?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-03-2020, 09:20 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
With respect, this is a message board. So does anything on this message board really matter other than a serious discussion of a social issue in Chit Chat?
No. And, I’ve been the one stating that it’s just a rock band. The amount of vitriol expressed about Lindsey’s firing is really out of proportion around here. It seems to trickle into every thread, even one completely unrelated (i.e. RIP Spencer Davis).

Quote:
I think people come here to escape problems in their real life like illness, homelessness, adultery, etc.
So, putting MORE negativity out in the ether helps? How does being dramatic and negative about absolute minutiae help escape problems?

Quote:
We're not in a college course so shouldn't people be able to have a free exchange of ideas without being met with belittling questions like "Who cares?"

What should the answer to "Who cares?" be: "You don't so I won't post like that anymore. Sorry!"?
Well, “who cares” is generally considered a rhetorical question, so there’s that.

In the context of this discussion, Lindsey was out of the band, they needed a guitarist, Mick called Mike, and they didn’t know each other prior to that call, aside from each having a working relationship with Stevie Nicks. Those are the basic facts that wouldn’t change regardless of how it was presented.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-04-2020, 05:42 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, putting MORE negativity out in the ether helps? How does being dramatic and negative about absolute minutiae help escape problems?


Well, “who cares” is generally considered a rhetorical question, so there’s that.
yes, because nothing screams positivity as much as telling people that nobody else cares about the issue they care / are upset about. it is so healing and not negative at all when someone tells them their opinions are unimportant, they are being overdramatic, and they should shut up and stop talking about them.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2020, 08:12 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
In the context of this discussion, Lindsey was out of the band, they needed a guitarist, Mick called Mike, and they didn’t know each other prior to that call, aside from each having a working relationship with Stevie Nicks. Those are the basic facts that wouldn’t change regardless of how it was presented.
I think most people on here are well aware of these facts; they are also aware of the interactions that happened behind those facts. An additional fact, the one that seems to be the greatest driver of much of the 'vitriol', is the band members opted to present a highly manipulated story about what led up to Lindsey's departure, seemingly based on the idea that their fan base was comprised of total idiots who would swallow whatever they were selling without any critical analysis as to whether the story made sense or not. Their fans aren't Taylor Swift fans or Harry Styles fans.... FM longtime fans are a bit older, a bit wiser, and have memories not clouded by long nets of white. So a lot of the anger comes from the insulting fact that this group of people in whom so many of us have invested large amounts of energy, emotion, and yes, cold hard cash that contributes to their ability to afford presidential suites and private jets, essentially looked us all in the face and lied, believing we were too dumb notice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-04-2020, 08:15 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think most people on here are well aware of these facts; they are also aware of the interactions that happened behind those facts. An additional fact, the one that seems to be the greatest driver of much of the 'vitriol', is the band members opted to present a highly manipulated story about what led up to Lindsey's departure, seemingly based on the idea that their fan base was comprised of total idiots who would swallow whatever they were selling without any critical analysis as to whether the story made sense or not. Their fans aren't Taylor Swift fans or Harry Styles fans.... FM longtime fans are a bit older, a bit wiser, and have memories not clouded by long nets of white. So a lot of the anger comes from the insulting fact that this group of people in whom so many of us have invested large amounts of energy, emotion, and yes, cold hard cash that contributes to their ability to afford presidential suites and private jets, essentially looked us all in the face and lied, believing we were too dumb notice.
Perfect. Just perfect! Bravo!
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-04-2020, 09:30 PM
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No. And, Ive been the one stating that its just a rock band. The amount of vitriol expressed about Lindseys firing is really out of proportion around here. It seems to trickle into every thread, even one completely unrelated (i.e. RIP Spencer Davis).


So, putting MORE negativity out in the ether helps? How does being dramatic and negative about absolute minutiae help escape problems?


Well, who cares is generally considered a rhetorical question, so theres that.

In the context of this discussion, Lindsey was out of the band, they needed a guitarist, Mick called Mike, and they didnt know each other prior to that call, aside from each having a working relationship with Stevie Nicks. Those are the basic facts that wouldnt change regardless of how it was presented.
I love you. There, I said it.
__________________
...every time, you don't come...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-04-2020, 09:45 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I love you. There, I said it.
You two could open an I Hate Lindsey Buckingham shrine.

And sell two tickets.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:57 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, putting MORE negativity out in the ether helps? How does being dramatic and negative about absolute minutiae help escape problems?
Are you a licensed counselor or therapist? How can you respectfully suggest that escapism is uniform?
Discussing Lindsey being fired is the same as people watching The Bachelor or "Real Housewives of New Jersey". They call their friends and discuss the show, they chat about how they can't believe The Bachelor met a lady in the Fantasy Suite or how they'll never forgive Teresa for what she did to Danielle.
The Ledge is the place for people to talk about their band or their artist. They shouldn't be bullied with condescending questions or a disrespectful prescription of Prozac.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Well, “who cares” is generally considered a rhetorical question, so there’s that.
May you always have the last word. G-d bless you!

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 12-04-2020 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-05-2020, 11:43 AM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Are you a licensed counselor or therapist?
Licensed Social Worker, thanks for asking.

Quote:
How can you respectfully suggest that escapism is uniform?
Youre the one who brought it up, not me. I was simply giving my thoughts to your red herring.

Quote:
They shouldn't be bullied with condescending questions or a disrespectful prescription of Prozac.
I wasnt bullying and certainly didnt recommend someone get on medications, (although I would suspect someone, not Macfan4life, needs a chill pill of some type).

It was a legitimate point.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-05-2020, 12:10 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Licensed Social Worker, thanks for asking.


Youre the one who brought it up, not me. I was simply giving my thoughts to your red herring.


I wasnt bullying and certainly didnt recommend someone get on medications, (although I would suspect someone, not Macfan4life, needs a chill pill of some type).

It was a legitimate point.
You could be one of the most arrogant persons online. Total "better-than-thou" as if you were chosen on Mount Sinai.
I don't think Biden would be proud to have your vote.

I thought social workers were caring and open to people's thoughts; not destructive.

You posted a photo of Prozac not long ago in response to someone on The Ledge. That's really disrespectful and not something to joke about.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-05-2020, 12:31 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
You could be one of the most arrogant persons online. Total "better-than-thou" as if you were chosen on Mount Sinai.
I don't think Biden would be proud to have your vote.

I thought social workers were caring and open to people's thoughts; not destructive.

You posted a photo of Prozac not long ago in response to someone on The Ledge. That's really disrespectful and not something to joke about.
Youre obviously working through your own personal issues through this board, which is not our responsibility. My profession and political leanings are hardly relevant to a Fleetwood Mac discussion board. This is a discussion board and I was critiquing the point, not the person.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-05-2020, 01:51 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
An additional fact, the one that seems to be the greatest driver of much of the 'vitriol', is the band members opted to present a highly manipulated story about what led up to Lindsey's departure,
I guess Ive considered Stevie to be such an unreliable source of information for decades that I took what she said with a pound of salt, as I always do. I guess I assumed most people around here were of the same mindset. However, Micks accounting of what happened isnt drastically different from what Brett said.

The story they presented seemed to have been a filtered (i.e. by legal) version of what really happened, because they knew they were going to get sued (because what classic rock band ever fired a guy without getting sued??). I only fault them for saying anything in the first place, but Fleetwood Mac is gonna Fleetwood Mac. Theyre not the band that would simply say it was an internal decision and we dont discuss internal matters, are they?

Quote:
So a lot of the anger comes from the insulting fact that this group of people in whom so many of us have invested large amounts of energy, emotion, and yes, cold hard cash that contributes to their ability to afford presidential suites and private jets, essentially looked us all in the face and lied, believing we were too dumb notice.
Funny, I just bought their music because I liked their music. I certainly dont feel owed an explanation. Fleetwood Mac was always the biggest sh*tshow in rock. You werent seriously expecting a neat and tidy happy ending?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-06-2020, 01:00 AM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,394
Default

Hey, you're entitled to buy or not buy a band's music for whatever reasons you like.

You're also entitled to believe/not believe or care/not care what they say or do offstage.

You're further entitled to think others who have differing opinions to you are silly, whiners, or whatever.

And you are absolutely entitled to bugger off if you find the commentary on a chat board to be not of your approved flavor.

What you aren't entitled to is to expect other posters to stop posting comments because you don't like them. And if you've got bigger, better fish to fry, by all means, go fry 'em.
__________________

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 12-06-2020 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-06-2020, 01:08 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 12,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Hey, you're entitled to buy or not buy a band's music for whatever reasons you like.

You're also entitled to believe/not believe or care/not care what they say or do offstage.

You're further entitled to think others who have differing opinions to you are silly, whiners, or whatever.

And you are absolutely entitled to bugger off if you find the commentary on a chat board to be not of your approved flavor.

What you aren't entitled to is to expect other posters to stop posting comments because you don't like them. And if you've got bigger, better fish to fry, by all means, go fry 'em.
Thank you.


THANK YOU.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Hey, you're entitled to buy or not buy a band's music for whatever reasons you like.

You're also entitled to believe/not believe or care/not care what they say or do offstage.

You're further entitled to think others who have differing opinions to you are silly, whiners, or whatever.

And you are absolutely entitled to bugger off if you find the commentary on a chat board to be not of your approved flavor.

What you aren't entitled to is to expect other posters to stop posting comments because you don't like them. And if you've got bigger, better fish to fry, by all means, go fry 'em.
And you are entitled to call out stuff that is wrong, obsessive, abusive, toxic, or unhinged.
__________________
...every time, you don't come...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

1983 Mick Fleetwood The Zoo Brett Tuggles Bekka Bramlett Musician Photo 8X10
$19.99
1983 Mick Fleetwood The Zoo Brett Tuggles Bekka Bramlett Musician Photo 8X10 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved