User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
Well, do you think Mick is really gunning for Christine in order to lock Stevie in? If so it seems like they don't really want to work around SN during the recording process for whatever reason.
Well, I think Mick wants to work with and be with Christine for her own sake as well, for reasons having nothing to do with the Stevanestra. I just think he's not immune to the leverage that having Christine will give them strategically either.

Michele
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
She's shrewd to the industry dynamics. Fleetwood Mac is without a label. This could be a negotiating ploy to score a guarantee from whatever label they eventually sign on to record under. There's generally MUCH more going on behind the scenes. There's a reason she's sticking to this "script" in every interview.
you might be very right. but bands usually do that kind of stuff about touring it seems b/c that's where the money is, not about albums.

being without a label seems like a good thing to me, they are free to do whatever they want instead of being pulled in yet another different direction, besides all the ones their various management factions keep pulling them.

although i freely admit that i'm completely clueless about these things and i'm just annoyed by all the bs. i just want to hear those new songs, asap. and i don't want FM to tour beyond the beginning of 2014.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It doesn't seem like a whim to me, it seems like Stevie has had this reluctance for a long time now. She wants Christine.

Since Christine doesn't want to tour long-term, would Stevie and Lindsey tour Christine's songs? Or would they just not put them on the setlist? Would they try to get it out before the tour starts (could they even??)? before it ends? after it ends?
i'm hoping they get it out before the UK leg.

(although seems completely unrealistic with this group of people and their management.)

they never play all the new songs on the tour, so i don't see a big problem about not playing them now, except at the shows where she maybe participates.

they didn't play Lindsey's Tango songs on Tango tour right, or did they?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

they didn't play Lindsey's Tango songs on Tango tour right, or did they?
No, they didn't. Well, no TITN songs that he sung lead on. Isn't it Midnight is a little bit his writing wise.

Michele
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ultimate Classic Rock quotes Stevie saying we have to love the songs and not just like or enjoy them and concludes:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...in-fans-hands/

In other words, if you want a full new Fleetwood Mac studio album, stay in your seat and whoop loudly when you hear a new song, instead of using the occasion for a bathroom break or to reload your beverage. Oh, and be sure to buy the singles on iTunes.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It doesn't seem like a whim to me, it seems like Stevie has had this reluctance for a long time now. She wants Christine.
Yeah, I can't imagine that Lindsey or Mick are really all that surprised about Stevie's reluctance to record. She said after 'Say You Will' that she didn't want to do another Mac album without Christine. Expecting her to change her mind, and trying to change her mind, is as unfair as trying to change Chris' mind about touring.

As far as the criticisms of her artistic integrity, yadda-yadda-yadda -- she said, when promoting 'In Your Dreams,' that she didn't care how well it sold. She needed to record new music. Perhaps she doesn't want to compromise anymore in a band environment, and wants to record her music on her terms.

And if she truly does want/need reassurance that people are clamoring for new Mac music, perhaps it's to get a sense of whether it would be worth all the aggravation, tension and headaches inherent to working together, before she commits to anything.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's already recorded 3 (maybe 4) songs. What's a few more? It's a business decision.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Yeah, I can't imagine that Lindsey or Mick are really all that surprised about Stevie's reluctance to record. She said after 'Say You Will' that she didn't want to do another Mac album without Christine. Expecting her to change her mind, and trying to change her mind, is as unfair as trying to change Chris' mind about touring.
How is it unfair for people to try to change her mind when she just INVITED us to change it? She just said that the fate of new music lies in fan reaction to the 3 songs. So, she has laid down the gauntlet, in essence.

As far as Mick and Lindsey unfairly trying to get her to change her mind, yeah they should hang it up. But maybe Stevie should stop blaming the fans and using others as her go-to excuse for not doing things that SHE does not want to do.

People might not like it if she said that for artistic or political reasons she doesn't want to record with the Mac and believes it might extend the band's future on the road, if they stay out of the studio, but it would be a whole lot more palatable than her saying, "Well, you have to love these songs. Enjoying and liking them is NOT ENOUGH." She feels she has more to say in her solo career than with FM and that's fine, but as long as she is not being honest and not coming out and saying that, people are going to react to what she does say.

I'm not surprised she said it. It's amusing and it's her, but it's old a new spin on her saying years ago that she didn't want to record anymore because fans kept stealing her music, now we're not stealing it, we just aren't loving it enough.

Michele
Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
She's already recorded 3 (maybe 4) songs. What's a few more? It's a business decision.
She only added vocals to two finished songs and then recorded one. If they decide to do a full album, they'd have to record probably another six or seven of Stevie's songs from the ground up (in addition to adding her vocals to most, if not all, of the rest of the songs Lindsey, Mick & John recorded together last year). It really wouldn't be a scenario all that dissimilar to how they recorded 'Say You Will' -- and we see how that went.

That said, in one of the interviews (Billboard maybe? I've completely lost track), she mentioned something about the possibility of recording a couple more tracks between now and the start of the tour. Maybe if they did something like that -- a few songs here, a few songs there -- they could build up enough tracks for an album while avoiding the tensions of being in a studio with each other for months on end.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She only added vocals to two finished songs and then recorded one. If they decide to do a full album, they'd have to record probably another six or seven of Stevie's songs from the ground up (in addition to adding her vocals to most, if not all, of the rest of the songs Lindsey, Mick & John recorded together last year). It really wouldn't be a scenario all that dissimilar to how they recorded 'Say You Will' -- and we see how that went.

That said, in one of the interviews (Billboard maybe? I've completely lost track), she mentioned something about the possibility of recording a couple more tracks between now and the start of the tour. Maybe if they did something like that -- a few songs here, a few songs there -- they could build up enough tracks for an album while avoiding the tensions of being in a studio with each other for months on end.
Exactly. It can be easy - or hard. It's up to them. But, it doesn't have to be hard.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's NOT going to say "i don't wanna record with FM" before a tour . She's not stupid.

Last edited by johnnystorms; 02-17-2013 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

As far as the criticisms of her artistic integrity, yadda-yadda-yadda -- she said, when promoting 'In Your Dreams,' that she didn't care how well it sold. She needed to record new music. Perhaps she doesn't want to compromise anymore in a band environment, and wants to record her music on her terms.

And if she truly does want/need reassurance that people are clamoring for new Mac music, perhaps it's to get a sense of whether it would be worth all the aggravation, tension and headaches inherent to working together, before she commits to anything.
Agreed 100%.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
How is it unfair for people to try to change her mind when she just INVITED us to change it? She just said that the fate of new music lies in fan reaction to the 3 songs. So, she has laid down the gauntlet, in essence.
I wasn't talking about us -- I was referring to Lindsey and Mick trying to change her mind. Which is why I mentioned them one sentence prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But maybe Stevie should stop blaming the fans and using others as her go-to excuse for not doing things that SHE does not want to do.
But, see, that's the thing -- when she says "fans," I don't believe for a second that she means folks like us. We're the diehards. We're in a class by ourselves. We buy everything. We buy multiple copies of the same album. We buy entire movie soundtracks to get one new song. Stevie's not unaware of that. No, she's talking about casual fans. The "only know it if they play it on the radio" fans. The folks who, like it or not, make up a larger portion of their audience than we do.

I do agree with you, though. If she's not just testing the waters, and really doesn't want to record with the band, it would be better for her to just say so. (Not that that would go over any better than what she's currently saying, but at least she wouldn't be teasing us.)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
Stevie's NOT going to say "i don't wanna record with FM before a tour!" . She's not stupid.
She doesn't have to put it like that. During the Dance tour she was honest in saying that they were all walking on egg shells because no one wanted to mess it up and ruin their reunion. She was very aware that the chemistry could be destroyed if someone made the wrong move back then and she did say that in the press.

She could say something to the effect now, that she thinks recording before the SYW got that tour off to the wrong start -- which it honestly did -- and that she wants to avoid that and that she feels that the band that doesn't play together (in the studio) will stay together on the stage. I mean, her explanation can come out of a place of caring for the band's long term survival rather than just hating them and the horses they rode in on.

Michele
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, see, that's the thing -- when she says "fans," I don't believe for a second that she means folks like us.
Yes, I think she knows focused fans will LOVE the new songs no matter what. But when she blames fans in general, I think she does blame the focused ones. I think she's under the impression that we steal. When it comes to her internet complaints, I think she does mean us. When people around her took her music and we all got copies of it, it was only the focused fans who got the fruits of that theft. Stevie knows that. She knew we already knew Secret Love. I don't think she thinks the Dreams lovers on the streets knew Secret Love years before it was released. So, when she said that fans stole her music, I think she did mean us, focused fans, not casual fans.

And I think she may feel that focused fans get this stuff and disseminate it to the casual world, which is why the music business is going bankrupt, in her mind.

Michele