User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
To me, the part of the Rolling Stone interview where Stevie says “I just want to be happy the next 10 years of my life” says it all. This was about HER, not the greater good of Fleetwood Mac or it’s fanbase. She was tired of Lindsey’s antangonism and insistence on a new album, so she orchestrated an ultimatum. Only tours from here out- no new albums; take it or leave it (knowing Lindsey would leave it). The rest of the band recorded the Buckingham McVie album; it’s clear as day who refused to participate and got the FM name removed from it. Like others have said, this has all been a high stakes game of chicken. We see who won. The whole band knows what would happen if Stevie were to leave, which is why they ultimately backed her instead.
I think the making of the BuckVie album was the beginning of the end. It's my theory that Stevie was pissed that it happened and basically, for lack of better words, wanted 'revenge' against Lindsey for it. So she's already mad at him for that, he's already mad at her for not letting the FM album happen, then he asks to delay the tour, they say no, then he asks to do two tours, they say no (whichever came first), he stands his ground, she gets fed up and decides she wants to be 'happy' the next 10 years of her life so she says 'him or me'.

And I think she's gonna regret it big time.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I do too. Just remember, Stevie herself quit FM following Behind the Mask because “it just wasn’t the same without Lindsey.” Keep in mind, Lindsey’s exit in 1987 was a truly nasty experience for all. She may say she hates fighting with Lindsey, but it’s that friction all the same that I think keeps her fired up and interested. I suspect that’s why Stevie actually ended up ditching Dave Stewart from her solo ventures- the mutual love fest and “yes man” interactions eventually bored her. Just look at how Stevie chased around Tom Petty, too... even though he was often quite dismissive and even rude to her. She thrives on conflict. With the 2 new guitarists, there will be no head butting, elsewise they’ll simply get tossed out of the band.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think the making of the BuckVie album was the beginning of the end. It's my theory that Stevie was pissed that it happened and basically, for lack of better words, wanted 'revenge' against Lindsey for it. So she's already mad at him for that, he's already mad at her for not letting the FM album happen, then he asks to delay the tour, they say no, then he asks to do two tours, they say no (whichever came first), he stands his ground, she gets fed up and decides she wants to be 'happy' the next 10 years of her life so she says 'him or me'.

Hmmm, are you sure you don’t have a source on your own?

Perfectly said
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, maybe the answer is very simple. The Mac wanted to make some money, and Lindsey wasn't ready. Get two seasoned musicians, go out on the road, and let Lindsey relax and do his small machine thing.

An inside publicity stunt to prepare for a MASSIVE FAREWELL YOUR in late 2020/2021 with Lindsey Buckingham BACK in the fold. The Farewell Tour can go on for two years, hitting every market twice. The ticket sales will go through the roof, as people will think this is their only time to see the Rumours lineup again.

Finn and Campbell are nothing more than short term office temps. Moreover, they know it, and they're happy to make some money instead of sitting home doing nothing. Sure, maybe I'm just practicing wishful thinking.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
Admittedly, I'm not as up on this as everyone else seems to be. What video is everyone referencing as proof that Stevie is the evil mastermind behind all this?
It is some video some fans took that you can not hear very clearly. It is not proof of anything. His conversation with fans is not going to be the same as his conversation with the group.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Actually, maybe the answer is very simple. The Mac wanted to make some money, and Lindsey wasn't ready. Get two seasoned musicians, go out on the road, and let Lindsey relax and do his small machine thing.

An inside publicity stunt to prepare for a MASSIVE FAREWELL YOUR in late 2020/2021 with Lindsey Buckingham BACK in the fold. The Farewell Tour can go on for two years, hitting every market twice. The ticket sales will go through the roof, as people will think this is their only time to see the Rumours lineup again.

Finn and Campbell are nothing more than short term office temps. Moreover, they know it, and they're happy to make some money instead of sitting home doing nothing. Sure, maybe I'm just practicing wishful thinking.
This has been my read on the situation as well- Lindsey will return for a massive farewell tour in several years. I’m not sure I agree that the whole thing is planned... but I suspect that’s how it will likely end. I tend to believe after dedicating their entire adult lives and legacies to this band, that they’ll want to end it on their own terms, in a respectable way. Going out with replacement guitarists from a potpourri of 1980s bands isn’t how any of the 5 will want the story to end.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Why wasn’t Stevie fired when she wouldn’t make an album with them.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Why wasn’t Stevie fired when she wouldn’t make an album with them.
ANSWER: Fleetwood Mac cannot play huge arenas without Stevie. Since Mick and John only earn about 10-15% each of the profits, Mick needs to play huge arenas to make any money.

It's like a car with a flat tire being able to run on a small donut spare tire. Fleetwood Mac can fill large arenas WITHOUT either Christine OR Lindsey--but NOT without Stevie. A Buckingham/McVie/Fleetwood/McVie lineup would only be able to play smaller theaters at best--much like the Buckingham McVie tour playing The Majestic Theater in San Antonio, Texas (seating capacity 2,200). That lineup could also fill theaters of about 6,000.

Lindsey is the only person who really cares about albums. As with most record label contracts, the band doesn't make any money off album sales. The money is in touring. $tevie knows that. Moreover, a new Fleetwood Mac album wouldn't sell over 750,000 units. A far cry from the record sales of yesteryear.

Stevie Nicks - love her or hate her, fills seats.

I am just heartsick over what happened with Lindsey's dismissal. It was the wrong decision for the legacy of this band.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
It is some video some fans took that you can not hear very clearly. It is not proof of anything. His conversation with fans is not going to be the same as his conversation with the group.
Well, English isn't my first language and I can hear and understand everything Lindsey says.
Weren't you all waiting for Lindsey to say something? So because he was talking with fans it doesn't prove anything? He was caught off-guard so he didn't even have time to think about what to say. Like in some other interview that happened this morning.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Yeah, it could be, but Stevie will never allow it. Unless this tour sucks big time. But it won't, so
So much of her story, her legacy, like it or not is wrapped it him (and him her), she can't let it end on a bad note. She says this herself. "When we are 90 and one of us goes, the other will be there...." The tour won't suck, but it will not be the farewell tour they want to go out with. IMO. Why aren't they in Europe, why aren't they in Australia (who knows, may come later) I do find it interesting they are saving the larger arenas (Forum, NYC) for the end of the tour. We shall see. This group has more lives then Morris the cat...however, what I saw today, was a little bit of disgust with themselves. I am a big believer in...there's one side, the other side, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. So much isht has been tossed around....let's just get to the middle.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac can fill large arenas WITHOUT either Christine OR Lindsey--but NOT without Stevie. A Buckingham/McVie/Fleetwood/McVie lineup would only be able to play smaller theaters at best--much like the Buckingham McVie tour playing The Majestic Theater in San Antonio, Texas (seating capacity 2,200). That lineup could also fill theaters of about 6,000.
Probably right about the areas, but the Fleetwood Mac brand with 2/3 of its classic lineup singer/songwriters would easily fill larger theaters.

As I’ve said before, Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices is a friend of mine, and the difference in album sales, money offered for shows, and ticket sales is considerably more if he bills it as Guided by Voices compared to Robert Pollard solo or any other moniker he comes up with, regardless of who else is in the band. It doesn’t matter what he does or who is backing him up, it’s how he brands it that‘s the single largest factor in sales.

My point is, as a brand, LBCM was something new, compared to SN, who was actively cultivating her own brand independent of FM since at least 1978. If Mick and John had been on the tour and the album and tour credited to FM, who knows how well the what was LBCM would have faired, especially if they did the co-headline tour with someone like Bonnie Raitt?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Probably right about the areas, but the Fleetwood Mac brand with 2/3 of its classic lineup singer/songwriters would easily fill larger theaters.

As I’ve said before, Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices is a friend of mine, and the difference in album sales, money offered for shows, and ticket sales is considerably more if he bills it as Guided by Voices compared to Robert Pollard solo or any other moniker he comes up with, regardless of who else is in the band. It doesn’t matter what he does or who is backing him up, it’s how he brands it that‘s the single largest factor in sales.

My point is, as a brand, LBCM was something new, compared to SN, who was actively cultivating her own brand independent of FM since at least 1978. If Mick and John had been on the tour and the album and tour credited to FM, who knows how well the what was LBCM would have faired, especially if they did the co-headline tour with someone like Bonnie Raitt?
I would love Bonnie Raitt as a co headliner. Maybe she could stand in for Stevie if she ever got the boot. That would fill an arena maybe..
Old 04-26-2018, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do too. Just remember, Stevie herself quit FM following Behind the Mask because “it just wasn’t the same without Lindsey.” Keep in mind, Lindsey’s exit in 1987 was a truly nasty experience for all. She may say she hates fighting with Lindsey, but it’s that friction all the same that I think keeps her fired up and interested. I suspect that’s why Stevie actually ended up ditching Dave Stewart from her solo ventures- the mutual love fest and “yes man” interactions eventually bored her. Just look at how Stevie chased around Tom Petty, too... even though he was often quite dismissive and even rude to her. She thrives on conflict. With the 2 new guitarists, there will be no head butting, elsewise they’ll simply get tossed out of the band.
Yes, this. She does thrive on conflict. But is so self absorbed and lacks self awareness to realise she lives off having LB in her life....without their chemistry and volitity what does she have in her life at all now?
Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 AM
NotonRodeo
This message has been deleted by NotonRodeo.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can’t say I agree with this at all. The EP was Lindsey’s way of trying to get Stevie to dip her toes into the water of recording with him again. He agreed to help with her In Your Dreams solo album. Lindsey spoke for years about recording songs in keys which dovetailed with Stevie’s range. He played the game of chicken when he recorded the Buckingham McVie album with the rest of the band- I suspect he felt that would entice Stevie to join them. Instead it backfired and Stevie most certainly got the FM name yanked from the album. He did years of cash grab tours and mellowed his experimental style on the EP, Buckingham McVie, and his soundtrack songs; all in the hopes of getting into Stevie’s good graces- to no avail.
this makes me want to cry
because you know it's probably 100% accurate

and it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally pisses me off we're never going to get another proper FM album (i love love love SYW and it's my fave record) but it needs to be all 5 of them ALL FIVE OF THEM. +ly contributing, not some 1/2 assed effort from Stevie like EP (though i cut her some slack there because of her Mama)
Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do too. Just remember, Stevie herself quit FM following Behind the Mask because “it just wasn’t the same without Lindsey.”
I have no idea about that quote, and she may well have said that, but that's not why she left FM. She's said numerous times (and Mick acknowledged it) that she left FM because he refused to let her put Silver Springs on her greatest hits album.