The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Note to self: Don't sue Christine McVie.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Wendy did confirm last night, that it was Christine who kept Bob out of RRHOF. I know we she had already alluded to that, but she actually posted it last night.
So, why is Wendy drawing the whole thing out for months at a time? No one sent you a sympathy card? I can see why.

Michele
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wendy did confirm last night, that it was Christine who kept Bob out of RRHOF. I know we she had already alluded to that, but she actually posted it last night.
On Facebook? Can you show me where to go to see the post?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
On Facebook? Can you show me where to go to see the post?
Here's the screen capture
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (80.2 KB, 73 views)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Thank you!

"She did resent that he sold more solo albums than she was able to do." MEOW!! Guess there's really no love lost there. It is a two way street though, but I doubt Christine will ever speak on the matter.

Interesting that she said Chris was the only person with "unresolved tension" in the band.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you!

"She did resent that he sold more solo albums than she was able to do." MEOW!!
I know. It's inconceivable to me that Christine was shaking her fist at French Kiss, green with envy. I'm not saying that she didn't want her solo album to sell. I'm just saying that she had a lot of other people to be jealous of before she would ever start thinking about Bob.

Michele
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"She did resent that he sold more solo albums than she was able to do." MEOW!!
I'm a bit skeptical. Christine never seemed jealous or resentful of Stevie's success, so why Bob's?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I really hate that. I'm sure Christine had her reasons. Though I am curious how much pull/authority Christine had to deny Bob's induction?

Well I believe she just said, "that if "he's" there, I won't attend the ceremony".
Quote:
Note to self: Don't sue Christine McVie.
No sh*t. I've always suspected that you DON'T F*CK with her, OR ELSE... That's actually pretty hot!

Quote:
Stop stalking me!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I'm a bit skeptical. Christine never seemed jealous or resentful of Stevie's success, so why Bob's?
BECAUSE he was suing them over royalties(at the time) that they hadn't paid him!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
BECAUSE he was suing them over royalties(at the time) that they hadn't paid him!
Yes, right. But it looks like Wendy is also trying to suggest a deeper antagonism and saying that Christine was jealous of Bob's solo album success, which seems unlikely.

If she didn't want him in the RRHOF, I think it was probably because she thought he falsely accused her of cheating him, not because she wished she'd enjoyed the solo success he had. That claim seems rather spurious, especially when you consider the timing. Bob's last solo success came in 1979. How is it likely that she would be bummed that her album didn't do as well as his when hers came out years after? "Man, I'm sure fuming because Gotta Hold On Me and my album have tanked and I cannot reach the heights Bob attained five years ago!" Why would she even think to compare her solo efforts to his, when his peak was long over by that time? It's not like Christine rushed to put out her own album to try to compete with him. She only did a second solo album because of the break in FM action. I don't think solo success was an aspiration of hers. Although we do know that she admitted minding never having a number 1 single ala dreams.

I don't think she thought solo success was favorable to success within the band. I think it is more probable she might only be envious if, for instance, she had never had a single within FM that did as well as Ebony Eyes. But turns out, she did have one or, er, two.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 03-17-2013 at 04:37 AM..
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, right. But it looks like Wendy is also trying to suggest a deeper antagonism and saying that Christine was jealous of Bob's solo album success, which seems unlikely.

If she didn't want him in the RRHOF, I think it was probably because she thought he falsely accused her of cheating him, not because she wished she'd enjoyed the solo success he had. That claim seems rather spurious, especially when you consider the timing. Bob's last solo success came in 1979. How is it likely that she would be bummed that her album didn't do as well as his when hers came out years after? "Man, I'm sure fuming because Gotta Hold On Me and my album have tanked and I cannot reach the heights Bob attained five years ago!" Why would she even think to compare her solo efforts to his, when his peak was long over by that time? It's not like Christine rushed to put out her own album to try to compete with him. She only did a second solo album because of the break in FM action. I don't think solo success was an aspiration of hers. Although we do know that she admitted minding never having a number 1 single ala dreams.

I don't think she thought solo success was favorable to success within the band. I think it is more probable she might only be envious if, for instance, she had never had a single within FM that did as well as Ebony Eyes. But turns out, she did have one or, er, two.

Michele
Agreed, and re: the bolded, it's not like GAHOM did nothing, it still made top 10, how can that not be "good enough"?

John
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
are these posts publicly available on http://www.facebook.com/groups/BobWelch.HOF/?fref=ts page?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Agreed, and re: the bolded, it's not like GAHOM did nothing, it still made top 10, how can that not be "good enough"?

John
Plus, Bob (and Wendy) weren't in England and he might not have been aware of this, but I'd Rather Go Blind wasn't exactly a failure, even if the Legendary album as a whole wasn't a hit.

Obviously, while I understand Christine's anger with Bob, if I had been Wendy in 1998, I would have been furious with and deeply hurt by Christine at the time and I see where she's coming from. But at this point it's time to let it go. You don't have to forget or forgive, but maybe stop posting things that don't make a lot of sense.

Michele
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I entirely doubt the veracity of Wendy's post. While it is likely Christine resented Bob for suing the band, I don't think her opinion in and of itself would make or break the decision of the RRHOF not to include him. Even if Bob had posted this I would have questioned its accuracy.

Moreover, I don't think she cared a hoot how much or little her 1984 album sold in comparison with French Kiss, which only sold as well as it did because it was riding the wave of Rumours. I love Bob's music, I love his contribution to the Mac. I am just trying to keep it real: she had no reason whatsoever to be jealous of him.

If Bob released French Kiss in 1984, it would have sold 74 copies.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Moreover, I don't think she cared a hoot how much or little her 1984 album sold in comparison with French Kiss, which only sold as well as it did because it was riding the wave of Rumours.
Entirely true and I don't claim to be objective, but Christine's beautiful back up vocals made Sentimental Lady the highlight of the album for me.

Well, the truth is, Bob could be a little controversial in his postings too. Maybe exaggerated a bit and Wendy seems to be like him. You just have to choose what to believe and not believe.

Michele