User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Notice that no one who had a hissy fit about Stevie saying "my band" will reply to your example of Lindsey saying the same thing.

What a twat biscuit, huh?
I actually came in to drop those lyrics myself.

And I among those repulsed by her use of the phrase.

Lindsey's point is that he will do whatever it takes to keep the band, the fireflies, together. (That's the SENTIMENT of the song.)

When she refers to it as "MY band" in the context of all that has happened, it does it indeed sound like a coup. Because! It is no longer "her band" as we knew it (the 5); it's now quite literally "HER band".

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The speech was entertaining in the way it was expected to be entertaining--a rambling mess of improvised stuff. I bear no ill will on her honor, nor on her calling FM "her band" (they've all done that).

But I DID have some problems with the speech:

1. Lindsey is only mentioned in a passive-aggressively demeaning way: the pot smoking boyfriend who stayed home and worked on music while she waited on tables. (And in Harry's intro, his tenure as Fritz's bassist is mentioned but not his exceptional guitar abilities that developed post-Fritz.)

2. Waddy Watchell isn't mentioned at all.

3. For a woman who has rightfully made a lot of noise about her being the first woman to be inducted twice, I bristled at the end of her speech when she spoke of her woman manager and how hard it is for her to take direction from anyone, "especially another girl."

4. Sandy Stewart is not mentioned.

5. Mike Campbell is not mentioned.

6. Rick Knowels (sp?) is not mentioned.

7. In terms of producers, only Jimmy Iovine is mentioned. No mention of, say, Dave Stuart.

8. Rulebook: sleep with men who will take you places.

……………..

I feel everyone of Stevie's albums has value so I was also disappointed to see that only songs from her first two albums were performed.
I guess the fans weren't mentioned, either. What a surprise.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The speech was entertaining in the way it was expected to be entertaining--a rambling mess of improvised stuff. I bear no ill will on her honor, nor on her calling FM "her band" (they've all done that).
Hi, Tony. Yes, I think they've all done that in various contexts at one time or another. In fact, it reminded me of Stevie's radio interview with Jim Ladd in 1979 where she addresses this "my band" stuff directly.

https://youtu.be/VLpSBzTf3Mw?t=325

Quote:

1. Lindsey is only mentioned in a passive-aggressively demeaning way: the pot smoking boyfriend who stayed home and worked on music while she waited on tables. (And in Harry's intro, his tenure as Fritz's bassist is mentioned but not his exceptional guitar abilities that developed post-Fritz.)

3. For a woman who has rightfully made a lot of noise about her being the first woman to be inducted twice, I bristled at the end of her speech when she spoke of her woman manager and how hard it is for her to take direction from anyone, "especially another girl."

7. In terms of producers, only Jimmy Iovine is mentioned. No mention of, say, Dave Stuart.

All good points. But I wouldn't have expected her necessarily to mention Sandy, Campbell, Rick, Dave Stewart, or any of her producers besides the guys who totally got her started: Danny and Paul, who formed Modern primarily to get Stevie started, and Jimmy, who wasn't only her first solo producer but her career sine qua non. The other guys, like Waddy, played major roles but it's really Danny, Paul, and Jimmy who created "Stevie Nicks" the solo act. They were the project managers when the project was launched. I suppose she could have rambled off a list at the end of her speech of a bunch of these other guys (and of course women like Sheryl, without whom there'd probably not be a Shangri La album and tour). But she yacked ad hoc for so long that there just didn't seem to be an opportunity.

I thought her anecdotal "speech" was everything others have said: airheaded and incoherent and fun. (In fact, as is typical for me these days, I like hearing her talk a lot more than I like hearing her sing.) But I don't think it was even her best (or near her best) rambling-style speech. While she's speaking, she seems to vaguely recall having mentioned many of these stories before and so she ellides them almost subconsciously until they make no sense if you aren't already aware of what she's referring to. I would imagine that a huge portion of that audience (which was there to see the Cure and Def Leppard and Roxy Music) was completely lost.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hi, Tony. Yes, I think they've all done that in various contexts at one time or another. In fact, it reminded me of Stevie's radio interview with Jim Ladd in 1979 where she addresses this "my band" stuff directly.

All good points. But I wouldn't have expected her necessarily to mention Sandy, Campbell, Rick, Dave Stewart, or any of her producers besides the guys who totally got her started: Danny and Paul, who formed Modern primarily to get Stevie started, and Jimmy, who wasn't only her first solo producer but her career sine qua non. The other guys, like Waddy, played major roles but it's really Danny, Paul, and Jimmy who created "Stevie Nicks" the solo act. They were the project managers when the project was launched. I suppose she could have rambled off a list at the end of her speech of a bunch of these other guys (and of course women like Sheryl, without whom there'd probably not be a Shangri La album and tour). But she yacked ad hoc for so long that there just didn't seem to be an opportunity.

I thought her anecdotal "speech" was everything others have said: airheaded and incoherent and fun. (In fact, as is typical for me these days, I like hearing her talk a lot more than I like hearing her sing.) But I don't think it was even her best (or near her best) rambling-style speech. While she's speaking, she seems to vaguely recall having mentioned many of these stories before and so she ellides them almost subconsciously until they make no sense if you aren't already aware of what she's referring to. I would imagine that a huge portion of that audience (which was there to see the Cure and Def Leppard and Roxy Music) was completely lost.
I see what you mean, but Dave Stewart is largely responsible for resuscitating her solo career and helping her "brand" herself as the scatterbrained witch we love to see. I'm surprised she didn't recognize him for that.

If she's going to mention Tom Petty, she might as well mention the Petty guitarist who helped her co-write a number of her solo songs AND who is working with her present mothership band. And Sandy Stewart? Well, she's a woman--and since this was supposed to be a woman-positive speech, it would have been cool to recognize one of her successful collaborators.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Frankly, I was thrilled she even acknowledged Lindsey at all, even if it was just in passing. I didn't think her mention of Lindsey was passive aggressive, maybe dismissive is the more appropriate term. But I had no problem with Harry Styles or his speech, including his mention of Lindsey. Steve's induction was not the place where anyone was going to bring up Lindsey's incredible guitar prowess. And I don't recall Stevie saying in her speech Lindsey stayed home smoking pot, but in all fairness I was bored by her speech and may have missed it. If she did say that in her speech, that would be a more appropriate example of passive aggressive.

I really agree with #3. Saying 'girl' instead of 'woman' irritated me, plus the context in which she said it.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Actually the far more ditzy mistake was saying that she wrote Leather and Lace for Merle Haggard and Jessi Colter ..WTF?!
Waylon’s pretty mad about it.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was a little surprised that Mike didn’t get a mention, since he’s had playing and/or writing credits on all of her solo albums.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, that was a problem. Although Stevie has always been an old-fashioned sexist. It’s her generation, I suppose.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default !!!"

Quote:

……………..

I feel everyone of Stevie's albums has value so I was also disappointed to see that only songs from her first two albums were performed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I guess the fans weren't mentioned, either. What a surprise.
Yes, the people who contributed the most, each in their own way, to her solo career are:

Paul Fishkin
Danny Goldberg
(they together with her formed Modern Records....and Paul especially encouraged her that it was ok to do this outside of FM and they wouldn't get all mad)

Jimmy Iovine

Howard Kaufman -- he negotiated in a VERY hardass way to get her the most money ALWAYS ... I recall LB commenting on the planning of one of their tours (I think post Chris leaving) and saying "You know Howard will always take care of Stevie".... he was also the one who always took her to task when she p*ssed away too much money and worked hard to make sure she had long term investments and planned for the future when her own inclination was to party it all away)

Sharon and Lori -- they ARE, with Waddy, a MAJOR factor in her solo "sound"

Tom Petty -- for giving her her first hit, along with MIKE who also gave her lots of tracks to write to when her own limited musical well dried up

Really all the musicians on her first albums-especially Benmont and Roy Bittan who worked very hard on helping her arrange her songs and turn her plinking piano playing into real songs (Benmont has talked about how Jimmy asked him when prepping for BD to go sit with her and play her songs and work with her on them to get them into a form they could present to the rest of the band)

Karen-- I know she's controversial with a lot of fans, but she gets PAID to be the "bad cop" so Stevie doesn't have to...she has kept this woman going for a very, very long time... who else recalls the interview where Stevie couldn't figure out how to turn the lights on or the tv and bellowed, "KAREN!!!" Like her or not, she's the one that actually manages day to day life for her and works with her managers etc to get her where she needs to be in order to have any success...

Herbie for being the key architect in her visual style and image.

And oh yeah, all those fans who plunked down hard-earned cash for her albums and concerts.. without whom she'd be singing as she cleaned toilets.

Who knows who else......

But she'll want to think she's so genius it was all her.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

But she'll want to think she's so genius it was all her.
I doubt, if in the history of the world, that any CREDIBLE person has ever called $tevie Nicks a genius.

The dumbass can't even turn on her TV or lights!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I doubt, if in the history of the world, that any CREDIBLE person has ever called $tevie Nicks a genius.

The dumbass can't even turn on her TV or lights!
Well a friend of mine whom a college professor once referred to as “consistently the best writer on pop music today” once said about Lindsey and Stevie:

“They are both geniuses, but Lindsey is the smart one.”

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
“I will stand with my band
Stand with my band”
every time i think of those lyrics, it just makes me so sad for him. he loved this band so much. he was so proud of it. it was his band.

now it's hers.

now she gloats. her band is now complete.

instead of moving on after winning, she is still stuck on sticking it to him. he was just some bassist in Fritz, right? (apparently his singing in that band never happened! remember when Xavier or somebody said they got Stevie in as a singer but she didn't have the range to sing half of their songs so Lindsey had to sing them?). lucky for him Stevie got him outta Fritz to start Buckingham Nicks.

loved the huge cheers from the audience when Harry mentioned Lindsey Buckingham!

ah and the cleaning lady vs pothead story keeps getting more and more extreme. now it became - lucky for Lindsey, Richard & co, at least they were working on the music so she couldn't charge them for cleaning her own house. and she couldn't be bothered by actually working on music - you know, like talking about bars? how stupid and boring! when there are bars outside she could go to and hang out with people!

looks like Harry being there as an inroad to a whole another huge audience quickly backfired by the NSYNC reference.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie was a poet. Her talent was creating porous words and phrases that could be woven around your emotions and her voice could express those emotions. Even when she didn’t write the words, her voice made them hers and lent meaning where none would otherwise exist.

As Lindsey said, she had an innate sense of rhythm. She knew when to start and when to stop. It’s not a small talent. It’s a great one and it is a genius of sorts.

But she’s always been a self-centered, ditzy, liar and the bad traits grew and overshadowed any good ones she once possessed. At the same time, her talent ebbed. Perhaps, the two things are connected. I don’t say her abilities are completely gone. I thought the IYD album was largely a success and maybe she’s capable of more. But today, I look at her and see the same menace that devoured Dorian Gray on the inside, while his exterior remained unmarred.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For a woman who has rightfully made a lot of noise about her being the first woman to be inducted twice, I bristled at the end of her speech when she spoke of her woman manager and how hard it is for her to take direction from anyone, "especially another girl."
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, that was a problem. Although Stevie has always been an old-fashioned sexist. It’s her generation, I suppose.
for a woman who has been presenting herself as a trailblazer for women and as a feminist, she had a perfect platform to further women’s causes. instead she poopoo-ed women in both her speech, and by her choice of male presenter. plus she chose to duet with 2 men. it was a woman, Sheryl Louis, who took her into stratosphere of popularity in the last few years.

Janet did it right in her speech.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-02-2019, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, that’s where the age difference between Stevie and Janet shows. I mean it was best embodied when Madonna kissed Britney and Christina and Stevie was appalled. She’s from a different era.