The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, to put ourselves into their shoes....lawsuits divide people, whether it's divorce, evictions, or song royalties. Right or wrong, everyone gets pissed, and defensive. So the timing for the HOF was askew from the git go....

We know that Bob received a settlement, so he was rightfully suing for what was his. I'm not defending Christine's position, at all(Bob and Christine are my two favorite members of FM), but at the end of the day, we're all human. YES, Christine was wrong, but I can't say that I wouldn't feel the same way, if I was being sued.

But WE ALL know the right thing to do now(and have, for 15 years now)...and that is to right this wrong, and induct Bob. It should have happened then. It needs to happen now. Mick, have a soul, for something other than a buck...if you do this, I will never doubt your character, ever again...make this right, Mick.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not speaking to Bob's litigation, which I know nothing about. So, this post has nothing to do with that.

But just talking about lawsuits in general, the idea that because you received a settlement that means your claim has merit is not always true. Sometimes it is, but in many cases it is not. Claims are often settled because it would cost more to take them to trial (even if you win) than it would be to settle them. Plus, if you have insurance and the insurer has to cover some of the liability, they may force you to settle whether you, as the individual, want to or not.

In a showbiz lawsuit, the corporations involved may settle for business reasons even if the artists would like to fight it tooth and nail until the end, just on principle. Sometimes one party has to indemnify the other and pay off any liability they may have, so often a co-defendant may force you to settle. They don't care about your good name and your honor. They just want to stop risk exposure.

A settlement alone doesn't mean your claim had validity.

Take this AEG case v. The Jacksons. I'm sure that will settle eventually. That doesn't mean that Michael Jackson wasn't responsible for his own death. It just means that AEG will, at some point, get tired of the publicity.

Michele
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I understand all of that, Michele, and wasn't necessarily trying to imply that Bob "was cheated"...only that they did settle, and the whole timing of the lawsuit, and the HOF induction was very bad.
But I would come much closer to believing Bob's side, than Mick's. Because you know(and Wendy is just discovering), "Mick", IS "Mick" - if there ain't a buck involved for him...he simply has no motivation for performing those deeds.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Gee, Christine must have such a vindictive and unforgiving streak... No wonder Stevie was so intimidated by her. Kinda cheeky when you think about it - she, Mick and John rip Bob off regarding royalties, then she becomes offended when he claims what was rightfully his in the first place, resulting in him then being denied something else to which he should have been entitled...
Careful. I wouldn't throw about those kind of assertions. We don't know the details of the lawsuit or the out-of-court settlement and never will. If Christine has a good defamation lawyer, he should be watching these pages pretty closely.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm not speaking to Bob's litigation, which I know nothing about. So, this post has nothing to do with that.

But just talking about lawsuits in general, the idea that because you received a settlement that means your claim has merit is not always true. Sometimes it is, but in many cases it is not. Claims are often settled because it would cost more to take them to trial (even if you win) than it would be to settle them. Plus, if you have insurance and the insurer has to cover some of the liability, they may force you to settle whether you, as the individual, want to or not.

In a showbiz lawsuit, the corporations involved may settle for business reasons even if the artists would like to fight it tooth and nail until the end, just on principle. Sometimes one party has to indemnify the other and pay off any liability they may have, so often a co-defendant may force you to settle. They don't care about your good name and your honor. They just want to stop risk exposure.

A settlement alone doesn't mean your claim had validity.

Take this AEG case v. The Jacksons. I'm sure that will settle eventually. That doesn't mean that Michael Jackson wasn't responsible for his own death. It just means that AEG will, at some point, get tired of the publicity.

Michele
^ This.

Very measured and eloquent as usual!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
Becca is and was an amazing singer and a huge talent. I love her!

Bob earned being in the Hall of Fame and I still will fight for that because he cared about it and was so hurt by what Christine did and Mick went along with. It was just flat out wrong.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised if they do allow bands to choose who is honored as a member.

When I heard about the non-creative business types who were inducted into the hall of fame ahead of so many major artists, plus the many black performers who helped create rock & roll left out, the whole concept became almost meaningless to me. Bob more than deserves to be in it, but is in great company of many who also have been left out.

I'm not a Bramlett but agree they are all very talented.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really care about people's opinions about "Time", that's not really the point. Bob, Billy, and Rick should have been inducted at a minimum given their contributions and/or relative success with the band. Bob really cared, Billy was somewhat miffed, and Rick didn't GAF. It saddens me that Bob cared about THAT so much. Musicians know, music critics know, and (most important) Fleetwood Mac fans know how important Bob's contributions to Fleetwood Mac were. I guess I'd be more upset if I didn't already consider the Hall a massive joke.

As for "Time", I enjoyed more than BTM or SYW and thought there was potential with Bekka and Billy (Mason not so much), but we all have our opinions.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Wendy Welch

Ulpian, You sound like you are working for a record company. Are you? You're speaking way out of school and you should be more concerned about being sued than anyone for your implications.

Slander suits are very hard to win, unless you can show damage. Bottom line! and you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I did finish court reporting school and all the law classes by the way! And you are half crocked with your one-sided statements about settlements. Have you ever studied law? It doesnt sound like it to me.

Please sign the Petition to get Bob Inducted in the Hall of Fame. It's "Induct bob Welch in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". We collected 2,000 signatures on the first petition, and the second petition has over 2, 050 signatures. We need more PLEASE HElP BOB WELCH! He deserves it. GO WELCH WARRIORS!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Please sign the Petition to get Bob Inducted in the Hall of Fame. It's "Induct bob Welch in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". We collected 2,000 signatures on the first petition, and the second petition has over 2, 050 signatures. We need more PLEASE HElP BOB WELCH! He deserves it. GO WELCH WARRIORS!
A link to the petition page:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bobwelch/petition.html
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ulpian, You sound like you are working for a record company. Are you? You're speaking way out of school and you should be more concerned about being sued than anyone for your implications.
I thought Ulpian's comment to the above assertions that Christine must be vindictive and that is why (sudden, dramatic leap) Stevie must have been intimidated by her were well formed and reasonable.

I, as much as anyone else, want to see Bob in the Hall of Fame, because he deserved it and because it mattered so much to him. However, I find the public finger pointing distasteful and unproductive.

I also think we should avoid creating full blown character profiles of certain members (in this case Mick and Christine--John is apparently immune to them) as if we knew them well and fully understood their motivations.

That said, Bob's lawsuit (well-founded or otherwise--and I'm assuming he was entitled to certain royalties or he would not have sued) must have seemed to Fleetwood and the McVies terribly ironic in light of the Clifford Davis suit that they and Bob went through together in the mid 70s.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Slander suits are very hard to win, unless you can show damage. Bottom line! and you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I did finish court reporting school and all the law classes by the way! And you are half crocked with your one-sided statements about settlements. Have you ever studied law? It doesnt sound like it to me.

Since you have addressed me direct, Mrs Welch, I shall do the same to you.

I have never worked for a record company. I studied Law at the graduate level. I am a member of the legal profession in the United Kingdom with experience of work in other jurisdictions.

All of my comments here have, I think, been measured. I have observed that this thread contains some comments which, in their present state or if taken further, might be construed as defamatory. I'm quite familiar with that area of the law.

For what it's worth, if you look back, I said I thought that your late husband deserved to be inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'd be interested to know what it is you think I might be sued for.

I'm surprised a moderator hasn't stepped in, because there are some posts which touch on subjects that are possibly defamatory and some relate to legal arrangements about which I thought were maybe off limits.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not worried about defamation. There's no libel here.

Michele
Old 04-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile Freedom of Speech

There certainly isn't any libel or slander here. First of all if it is the truth it is neither. If it is a personal opinion it is neither, and if it is something that any average person would know was ridiculous, i.e. a political cartoon or such of any famous person, it is neither. And then again you must be able to claim damages from said remark. I appreciate your comments to me and the support of Bob Welch. But I do know what happened in the law suit of which I will not speak., other than what I have said and can say.

I love the back and forth and welcome all comments and opinions and the dialogue. I respect freedom of speech.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Rrjof

Bu the way, Bob was a pro rata share member of Fleetwood Mac, therefore should have been inducted by the band on that alone. Also, someone from the RRHOF said that "Bob Welch was not RRHOF caliber, which can certainly be disputed due to the fact if you look at other people, such as back up members of bands, and you even look at Fleetwood Mac, i.e. Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwin, Bob's credentials certainly surpass theirs. And the fact that we have lost money since Bob's death due to him not being in the Hall of Fame. What exactly does that say about slander and defamation and libel?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I accept this is a fan site, but I have never yet heard anyone say that Bob Welch shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Is there anyone on here that thinks that?

While we can argue the merits of the other 7, (all of which I think should have been inducted too) it is just beyond comprehension that Bob wasn't inducted.

I'm a big fan of the Welch era, but to be honest I'm a bigger fan of other members who weren't inducted (see avatar for a hint), yet Bob's contribution to the band was so important, so defining, that he stands head and shoulders above the other seven members that weren't inducted.

I'm just sad that it meant so much to Bob, but hopefully he knew that the fans loved his music and his contribution to the band.