Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Landslide at #2!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up _ in case you didn't know _ that the Dixie Chicks' cover of "Landslide" is at #2 with a bullet this week on the Billboard country singles chart. Maybe it'll be #1 next week? At any rate, a very impressive showing.

Also, a question: On the official Fleetwood Mac site, Stevie talks about Sheryl Crow doing a pop remix of the Chicks' recording. Anyone heard anything more about this?
Old 11-13-2002, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
On the official Fleetwood Mac site, Stevie talks about Sheryl Crow doing a pop remix of the Chicks' recording. Anyone heard anything more about this?
Actually I did see the video of the revamped song one late night on VH1. I was kind of half awake so I didn't get a good listen, but from what I saw, I liked it. It sounded like they added some drums and other more pop oriented instrumentation.

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 11-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Landslide at #2!

Quote:
Originally posted by blinker12
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up _ in case you didn't know _ that the Dixie Chicks' cover of "Landslide" is at #2 with a bullet this week on the Billboard country singles chart. Maybe it'll be #1 next week? At any rate, a very impressive showing.
Cool..! Hopefully this will recruit some new Mac fans!!!

Old 11-13-2002, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was really suprised on how much I like the remake. They did it justice. Very nicely done.

Maria
Old 11-14-2002, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is in part good news and in part bad news. The bad news, or rather annoying news, is that, regardless of WHO covers Landslide, no one's is better than Stevie's and Lindsey's version from The Dance, and no one's ever will be. Not even the FM studio version (this is all my opinion btw). However, when Landslide was released during The Dance as a single, it peaked at #51. The Dixie Chicks are at #2 with Landslide! What the Hell gives here? I mean, I could see if it was just that FM randomly released a single when they hadn't done anything, but 1997 was a big year for Fleetwood Mac, and I remember them being everywhere. I even remember VH1 voting them the "band of the year" or something like that. It was like, some contest between them and a bunch of other big bands, and once I heard the other names I was like, well, FM has no chance. But then the group of people who announced the winner turned this cards over and screamed "FLEETWOOD MAC!" Then it had a short clip with Mick saying something about "we're gonna try to make more music for you in the future." SO, FM was back, active, and known, yet their version hit #51. There's just something wrong there.

HOWEVER, for Stevie fans especially, this is good news because if the song does go to #1, she will have three song writing credits to her name for songs that hit #1 (Dreams, Bootylicious, and now cover of Landslide). People may argue that Stevie DIDN'T co-write Bootylicious, but I say nonsense. It features a sample of her music, and therefore I feel songwriting credit goes to her. Just some ranting from me.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Thats kinda odd...

because I live in the heart of the country music radio stations here in Oklahoma (At least country ISNT that commercial pop music crud...) and I haven't heard "Landslide" on the air in several weeks...When their album "Home" was first released I heard it often on the local stations, Now it's almost none-existent in terms of airplay...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree-I think its too bad that it peaked at #51 for FM. But live releases sometimes have a harder time charting, FM (although riding a wave of popularity again) was still not top 40 pop music in 1997, and actually its surprising that a live release of an already fairly well known song would chart at all. I mean live versions of already released and familiar songs can get some airplay but rarely chart. (Except for Elton John-arghhhh)
I'm not that fond of Dixie Chicks but at least it gets Stevie more mentions and all of these things I'm sure will help the new Mac get more exposure. Also, I think things like this finally give Stevie more credibility. (Courtney Love was the first of the newer stars to sing her praises but that's not exactly gonna help you gain credibility) I don't think the critics have ever been as kind to Stevie as I've seen in the last couple years!
And...whenever I think I don't like this cover of Landslide, I just remember Smashing Pumpkins version, or Tori Amos' version. Then I go run my fingers across a chalkboard because that sounds better than listening to either of those 2 versions. YUCK!! What were they thinking!!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't heard this version yet.
A Radiohead fan once said to me that the Smashing Pimkins version is better than the FM version. I don't why, but I can't imagine that being true.(btw: I haven't heard the Smashing Pumkins cover of it yet)
Old 11-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Smashing Pumpkins version is more or less the Fleetwood Mac studio version (i.e. not "improving" anything), but with Billy Corgan singing instead of Stevie. Now could be that better than the Fleetwood Mac version? My answer: NO. You can't compare the voice of Billy Corgan with the voice of Stevie Nicks, thank you very much.

I'd also like to say that apparently I'm one of the few people in this Forum that doesn't like the Dixie Chicks version of "Landslide" either. In my humble opinion there are songs which no matter who covers them, nobody can improve the original. And the original is Stevie Nicks. More important, the original is Fleetwood Mac. Still, it's good to know that new 'generations' are being exposed to Fleetwood Mac culture, if one wants to see the good side of this version reaching so high in the charts, I suppose.

Song of the moment - Hold Me
Old 11-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by golddustchic
Actually I did see the video of the revamped song one late night on VH1. I was kind of half awake so I didn't get a good listen, but from what I saw, I liked it. It sounded like they added some drums and other more pop oriented instrumentation.
I think I've seen the video too. I was watching MuchMoreMusic, when Landslide came on. It didn't say it was the pop remix, but there was a conspicuous lack of "country" instrumentation in the song.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my humble opinion there are songs which no matter who covers them, nobody can improve the original.
Well, I really don't think covers have anything to do with improving on the original version...at least not in this case. I like the Dixie Chicks's cover not because I think it is better than Fleetwood Mac's. As I've said, imo NOTHING can top The Dance version of this song. It's only Lindsey on an acoustic guitar but it sounds like a whole band of guitars, and Stevie's vocals are just great on there. I think some of Stevie's songs actually sound better now that her range is lower because she has to push for those higher notes, and that makes it sound more powerful. Gold Dust Woman is another example, and much of Silver Springs too. But getting back to the point, the cover doesn't have to be better than the original in order to like it.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
the cover doesn't have to be better than the original in order to like it.
I posted two unrelated things that perhaps you thought I was relating:

1º I do not like the Dixie Chicks' "Landslide";

2º her version (and any other version IMHO) is not better than Fleetwood Mac's version;

but I don't think that one thing leads to the other... Of course one can like covers even if they are not as good as the originals... In this case, it was a coincidence for me: I did not like it plus the original is 1000 times better. But as always, we can disagree peacefully.

Old 11-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cristian, I see. No, I seriously thought you meant that you didn't like it because it wasn't better than FM's version. I just didn't understand the concept behind that. BTW, I don't know if you've been to the Stevie forum lately, but Johnny Stew posted an article about the cover of Landslide, if anyone's interested. I think it was very good.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Will read it, thanks for the info.

Old 11-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow... I just noticed it's #16 with a bullet this week on the Hot 100. That's a pretty major cross-over hit.

On a related note, since starting this thread I've heard what I think is the Sheryl Crow remix on the radio. It sounds like she basically stripped off some of the banjo to give it a less twangy, countrified sound. All the vocals and harmonies are the same.

Stevie's versions of the song will never be bettered, but I do think the Chicks did a respectable job with it. The repetition of "Well maybe..." at the end is a nice touch.