Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I think Mick got confused in his book. I think he is referring to "Little Lies". Some people think that some of Stevie's vocals on "Little Lies" are hers and some are "Lindsey's trickery". I don't have an opinion.
Interesting.
I'll admit to a slight possibility that the "tell me lies" could possibly be Lindsey (ie on helium), but there's no way that the "you can't disguise" part could be Lindsey and not Stevie. There's no way to emulate that deep 80s Stevie raspy timbre, however many dials you twist or Fairlights you program.

But yes that doesn't change the fact that the track is almost entirely Chris and Lindsey.

Fleetwood Mac--the band where the girls have boys names and sing in low voices, and the guy has a girl's name and sings in a high voice. Diversity ahead of its time!
Old 09-26-2018, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

If it's Lindsey performing Stevie on Little Lies, he deserves a lifetime achievement award of some sorts. My theory is she may have been on some rough cut of the song and Lindsey took those parts and layered them into the final track. That explains why she is not on the main chorus. Still genius!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The bits that are Lindsey are in the body of the chorus to make it sound like her harmonies were in the mix.

Later she showed up and added her bits. Don't know if they kept what harmonies of her own she added to the choruses or not, but the "You can't disguise" and "tell me liiiiieees" parts are clearly her. Her pitch was lower by then from all the cigs, years touring, and drugs.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Tango in the Night-Everywhere
You're saying you can actually pick Stevie's vocal out of that shimmery wall of sound? I don't believe Mick's book, he's confused. I'm sure his ghostwriter mixed up the songs, and "Little Lies" was the song that FM "gleefully layered her vocals in" on.

On the other hand, people say that Lindsey provided the "I am what I am what I am what I am what I am what I am...." bridge on "Family Man" himself using some kind of vocal emulator. We don't know that for sure. It sounds a LOT like Stevie, unlike the "uh, AH" sounds on "Big Love" which Mick's book says is Lindsey. I think "Family Man" includes Stevie and I can't be convinced otherwise unless someone from the band goes on record saying it isn't. I know Lindsey felt Stevie's vocals weren't up to par and he cut as much of her out as possible.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I'll have to respectfully ask you to point out where you think Stevie can be heard on Go Your Own Way.
On the final "You can call it another lonely day" before the guitar solo. You can't miss her. She's unmistakable.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
You're saying you can actually pick Stevie's vocal out of that shimmery wall of sound? I don't believe Mick's book, he's confused. I'm sure his ghostwriter mixed up the songs, and "Little Lies" was the song that FM "gleefully layered her vocals in" on.

On the other hand, people say that Lindsey provided the "I am what I am what I am what I am what I am what I am...." bridge on "Family Man" himself using some kind of vocal emulator. We don't know that for sure. It sounds a LOT like Stevie, unlike the "uh, AH" sounds on "Big Love" which Mick's book says is Lindsey. I think "Family Man" includes Stevie and I can't be convinced otherwise unless someone from the band goes on record saying it isn't. I know Lindsey felt Stevie's vocals weren't up to par and he cut as much of her out as possible.
I don't think Mick confused songs in his book because its pretty clear Stevie IS on Little Lies even though its a small part. Stevie was upset about songs she was not on. Mick never stated they layered in her voice. That would have been insulting to her and the band. Its speculation that after she returned and threw a fit that it happened.
If I remember, the situation happened just as Stevie returned to the studio after rehab and the album was almost finished. Stevie was listening to the album and threw a fit and threatened the band to tell Rolling Stone she had nothing to do with the album. She picked Everywhere and said "that should be me singing background" Christine was having none of it after having a few glasses of wine and yelled at Stevie "I wanted you to be on Everywhere but you were not here'
Old 09-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I don't think Mick confused songs in his book because its pretty clear Stevie IS on Little Lies even though its a small part. Stevie was upset about songs she was not on. Mick never stated they layered in her voice. That would have been insulting to her and the band. Its speculation that after she returned and threw a fit that it happened.
If I remember, the situation happened just as Stevie returned to the studio after rehab and the album was almost finished. Stevie was listening to the album and threw a fit and threatened the band to tell Rolling Stone she had nothing to do with the album. She picked Everywhere and said "that should be me singing background" Christine was having none of it after having a few glasses of wine and yelled at Stevie "I wanted you to be on Everywhere but you were not here'
I don't have a copy of his book anymore, do you? I could have sworn he specifically says they "layered" her vocals in, but I admit I could be wrong it's been many years.

Of course it's clear she's on "Little Lies" but the backing vocals on "Everywhere" all blend into each other. You never hear any of the distinguishing Stevie Nicks features pop out, and by 86-87 her voice was pretty easy to pick out due to how haggy it was. If she's on there it's not in any kind of way that makes a difference, to my ear anyway.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post

wait, so who do you think is singing the "I am what I am" bit on Family Man? Stevie ???
I hear no one on that bit but him.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember when Big Love came out. Many DJ's were reporting it was Stevie doing the grunts LOL
One particular one I remember was also a fat joke stating it was Stevie trying to fit into her jeans
Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wait, so who do you think is singing the "I am what I am" bit on Family Man? Stevie ???
I hear no one on that bit but him.
The bridge part, not the chorus. I don’t know how Lindsey could achieve a replica of Stevie’s voice like that using 1987 technology. There are too many identical features to her shaggy 1986-1987 pre Klonopin voice. How people don’t actually hear that amazes me. It’s my belief that she laid down some vocals and then he took them and then manipulated them. All it probably needed was one or two “I am what I am” and then he took it from there.

This is what I was told from a former friend who used to post on here until he had some sort of a break: Lindsey was dead set on releasing the album without Stevie because he hated/was jealous of her so much. He thought the parts she recorded for Lindsey and Christine’s songs were terrible and cut them out. I’ve heard Stevie herself admit to that in interviews. Warner told him in no uncertain terms the album wouldn’t be released without more Stevie on it, and that she had to be prominently featured on the album art and videos, AND that she had to have a big single. He had to agree else the album would have been shelved.