User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Stevie is practising twirls in her power chair as we speak...
$he's mastered the joystick! Wheeeeeee!!!!!

"Karen....it's stuck.....KAREN........KKKAAARRREEEEENNNNNNNNN!!!!!!"

Old 03-18-2021, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
NOOOOO!!!!! That's too many wrinkles for any camera. Can you imagine those saggy bodies on the cover?
Not even for a chiseled Neil? I think she's got a thing for Harry Styles.

I don't see Stevie on a power chair but I think the frankenboks will return!
Old 03-18-2021, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I feel this way, too. This classic album isn’t a classic. There is an intriguing blend of electric and acoustic guitars, and vibrant if not yet wholly matured vocals. But the album doesn’t really cohere. Most of the songs are underwhelming and supported by an undistinguished rhythm section. Only “Frozen Love” merits the hype. It’s also the only song that feels truly collaborative.
"Don't Let Me Down Again" is pretty solid songwriting that just needed a stronger bass and drums so is "Crystal" but yeah if a nude photo of one the most striking young couples in rock history couldn't sell it. You could tell there was something there it just hadn't galvanized yet until they joined up with Fleetwood and the Mcvies then you had the aural equivalent of the old Reese's peanut butter cup ad where someone trips and their chocolate bar falls into someone else's peanut butter jar.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
"Don't Let Me Down Again" is pretty solid songwriting that just needed a stronger bass and drums so is "Crystal" but yeah if a nude photo of one the most striking young couples in rock history couldn't sell it. You could tell there was something there it just hadn't galvanized yet until they joined up with Fleetwood and the Mcvies then you had the aural equivalent of the old Reese's peanut butter cup ad where someone trips and their chocolate bar falls into someone else's peanut butter jar.
Haha!! Great analogy. Crystal is a shining example of the depth the brits give the song. And they make B/N so much better, too. It's truly a chemistry/magic thing. Mick, John and Christine truly shine on Crystal.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I completely agree with Jbrownsjr—your analogy is great. Musically, Fleetwood and the McVies had a heavy, fat sound. That sound would have fleshed out Don’t Let Me Down Again and a song like Long Distance Winner. Crystal is a well-written song, and the instrumental treatment it gets on the white album is fantastic. But I’ve never been a fan of the vocals on either version. I might have preferred if they’d gone the CSNY route and sang it together...

Last edited by aleuzzi; 03-20-2021 at 05:18 PM..
Old 03-18-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I completely agree with Jbrownsjr—your analogy is great. Musically, Fleetwood and the McVies had a heavy, fat sound. That sound is was would have fleshed out Don’t Let Me Down Again and a song like Long Distance Winner. Crystal is a well-written song, and the instrumental treatment it gets on the white album is fantastic. But I’ve never been a fan of the vocals on either version. I might have preferred if they’d gone the CSNY route and sang it together...
I love the vocals. I'm so glad Lindsey took lead on this one. The recording of the vocals are so much better than the B/N album, too. Plus, the harmonies at the end give me goose bumps.

I would love to hear Long Distance Winner recorded by Fleetwood Mac. What a treat that would be. Especially, at that time when the egos where oh so small.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Haha!! Great analogy. Crystal is a shining example of the depth the brits give the song. And they make B/N so much better, too. It's truly a chemistry/magic thing. Mick, John and Christine truly shine on Crystal.
It still amazes how such seemingly disparate people had such an instant chemistry. It did seem like magic and few in rock history had such a seamless transition. I'd compare it to the concurrent addition of Michael McDonald to The Doobies . I always thought that his smooth and jazzy blue eyed soul sat rather uneasily next to the established meat and potatoes roots rock of that band. I guess that they thought so too as they were preparing to call it quits just before " What a Fool Believes " became a surprise smash.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Crystal really is a magical song that. Kind of off topic but I happened on this version which kind of took the song in a different direction for me than what it's been for me. https://open.spotify.com/track/0JRpK...27b9c78842445e
Old 03-21-2021, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I regularly see BTM, SYW, and even Time in my used media store. Those three are usually $1.95. Even the Bob Welch years are $9.00. What does that say???
Today I was in a music store and a new Behind the Mask cd and Say You Will cd were $1.99.

Time is an Easter Egg!
Old 03-22-2021, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Time is an Easter Egg!
I can’t even find my copy anymore! Thank goodness for Spotify.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-24-2021, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I will make a prediction. Flame me or praise me in a few years if it happens. I do think it will be released and it will be a springboard to bring Lindsey back into the band and Stevie will say all that "water under the bridge" stuff. Mick will love it because it will promote their farewell tour even more. He may even get 4 more meet and greets per show out of this one. The band and Buckingham Nicks will then have gone full circle. Dont let me down again will be played again with Stevie introducing it as her father's favorite song.

Is anyone writing this down?
You are spot on and have called it exactly. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that, barring any deaths or major strokes, Buckingham will end up back in this band with a scaled back "Farewell Tour" from the Rumours lineup.

I'll go one step further. This has been management's plan all the time and we've all been strung along. Did Stevie and Lindsey have a fight after Music Cares? Was she furious? Did she throw a tantrum and refuse to work with Lindsey? YES and YES to all these questions. However, this woman changes her mind like she changes beaded shawls. Mick and the management team will put a spin on it and play it all in their favor. Mick knows how to pull Stevie's strings to keep her happy.

I'm predicting tears, long speeches about "cyclical growth and catharsis", forgiveness. Cha-ching. The cash will roll in and I WILL BE there eating it up the same way I have for 44 years. Throw two Buckingham Nicks songs into the regurgitated set list and hit the road. They don't call us "punters" for nothing.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
You are spot on and have called it exactly. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that, barring any deaths or major strokes, Buckingham will end up back in this band with a scaled back "Farewell Tour" from the Rumours lineup.

I'll go one step further. This has been management's plan all the time and we've all been strung along. Did Stevie and Lindsey have a fight after Music Cares? Was she furious? Did she throw a tantrum and refuse to work with Lindsey? YES and YES to all these questions. However, this woman changes her mind like she changes beaded shawls. Mick and the management team will put a spin on it and play it all in their favor. Mick knows how to pull Stevie's strings to keep her happy.

I'm predicting tears, long speeches about "cyclical growth and catharsis", forgiveness. Cha-ching. The cash will roll in and I WILL BE there eating it up the same way I have for 44 years. Throw two Buckingham Nicks songs into the regurgitated set list and hit the road. They don't call us "punters" for nothing.

I wished she changed shawls. She wears the same horrible outfit with those garage sale looking smelly gloves. Someone had to say it!
Old 03-25-2021, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wished she changed shawls. She wears the same horrible outfit with those garage sale looking smelly gloves. Someone had to say it!
Maybe this is just the guy in me, but I never gave a rat's behind about the shawls. Like, ooooh let me get THE STAND BACK SHAWL OUT!!! It's the same one since 1983!!!! THE STAND BACK SHAWLL!!!!!!! HERE COMES THE GOLD DUST WOMAN SHAWWWWWLLLLLL!!!! I never understood why anyone cares about this stuff.

And don't even get me started on all the crap hanging from her mic stand!
Old 03-25-2021, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Maybe this is just the guy in me, but I never gave a rat's behind about the shawls. Like, ooooh let me get THE STAND BACK SHAWL OUT!!! It's the same one since 1983!!!! THE STAND BACK SHAWLL!!!!!!! HERE COMES THE GOLD DUST WOMAN SHAWWWWWLLLLLL!!!! I never understood why anyone cares about this stuff.

And don't even get me started on all the crap hanging from her mic stand!
OMFG. THIS. I have never given two sh*ts about what $he's wearing, or ANY of that crap. I thought it was stupid back in the day, when $he'd change clothes several times during a show. I remember people mocking her for it.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
OMFG. THIS. I have never given two sh*ts about what $he's wearing, or ANY of that crap. I thought it was stupid back in the day, when $he'd change clothes several times during a show. I remember people mocking her for it.
The Pittsburgh Press concert reviewer of her 1983 show stated:

She changed clothes so many times that the concert seemed to be a "What happened to Stevie game show" because her band seemed confused what songs were to be played next.