The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So, I rewatched THE scene from DR, and there’s a point where Lindsey took it too far. After Stevie says something about a lyric flowing so beautifully, he should have dropped it. A simple “yeah, I can hear that” or something along those lines would have probably lead to more albums. In the context of the past few years, it’s like pick your battles, dude.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-26-2020, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. WTWCT. This is fine. Nothing special
2. Murrow. Can do without.
3. Illume. Like it fine. Has some great parts. Obviously meaningful about 9/11
4. Thrown Down. Pure Brilliance
5. Miranda. Love it. Not a fan of the fade out part. But love the song.
6. Red Rover. Don't like it
7. Say You Will. Love it.
8. Peacekeeper. LOVE IT. The vocals are amazing here.
9. Come. Don't like it
10. Smile at you. Ruined. Just left me speechless given the brilliance of the demo.
11. Running Through the Garden. LOVE IT. Wish they kept this in set list.
12. Silver Girl. Garbage
13. Steel Your Heart Away. One of the loveliest songs I ever heard. Absolutely adore this.
14. Bleed to Love Her. LOVE IT
15. Everybody Finds Out. LOVE IT
16. Destiny Rules. LOVE IT
17. Say Goodbye. Great song. Done so well live.
18. Goodbye Baby. Fine.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The above matches my evaluation almost exactly, except I like "Murrow" and don't like the title track (the melody fine, the lyrics not so much). I will also say I don't think "Smile At You" was ruined. Remember Stevie was a lot older. They weren't going to recreate that raw anger as effectively. This was about as good as they could do at this point.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default AGREE on EFO

Should have been lead single!! Dance music was exploding, Stevie is/was the star, and Lindsey's production was epic! Pair it with a modern video and i'm sure it would have gotten more attention than Peacekeeper which was too politically charged at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I am with you that Say You Will is brilliant and Lindsey did an outstanding job. Stevie seems to jump on the bandwagon if something is not commercially successful. She stated that when she wrote Say You Will she thought instantly it would be a huge hit if she ever did write a hit. They spent so much time on the album and no doubt were disappointed in the sales and airplay. But there are many fans that think the same way if something is not commercially successful. Some of band's best music is the stuff that is not commercially popular.
I agree with Stevie the album could have been a bit shorter but hey.. the more material the better.
Here is why I love Say You Will:

Finally get the great Stevie songs Smile at you, Running through the Garden, and Thrown Down. Wow, she should have coughed them up earlier because these are some of her best written songs. Lindsey does them justice!!!

Illume is an outrageous poem about 9/11. How in the world do you put it to music. Buckingham shines with an angry growing musical orchestra that is so unpredictable that its confusing the first time you hear it. I think he captured the spirt and the unpredictability of 9/11 perfectly. Those that want pop songs can listen to Talk To Me instead.

Come. We get to hear Lindsey at extended play on an album. Nuff said

Everybody Finds Out - is a musical masterpiece and probably top 5 musical pieces from the Mac. The bass lines are out of this world. The percussion is a full orchestra. The music just builds and builds and then explodes. THIS should have been the first single off the album.

I don't think there are duds or any padding on this album. I love the opener, whats the world coming to.
Yes of course Christine would have been the icing on the cake but we cant change that.
This album gets flamed along with TOSOTM and Street Angel yet people will flock to songs on those albums as one of their favorites which is odd to me.

When this CD came out, I wore it out. I used to run down Ocean Drive every night with this CD playing. Gosh remember CD holders? Yeah, I was a bit old fashioned even for 2003 when digital music was coming out.

Its frustrating because Christine would have made the album so much better but she was not there.

As far as the album being too long...….I think Lindsey was very proud of all the songs and did not want to cut any. They all fit so WTH. IMHO Lindsey was just as creative as Tusk. I am not casting judgment but this is an album that I cant understand if you are a Mac fan how you cant appreciate this album. The music is so good even if you stripped all the vocals and singing.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Exactly
I actually think its a very cleverly written song. Begging someone to stay around and to get them to "dance" i.e. extend the Dance tour
Yep! a high end music video... the band morphing into kids singing out the chorus... def coulda been a hit.. was 5 years after a HUGE hit The Dance.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I get his point. She made all these poppy, radio friendly songs. Even if they didn't have any new hits, people would want to hear her songs. More so if she had a real presence on the new record.

Even if she's spineless(in regards to saving Lindsey), she is the sound of FM to me. She's the balance that made it all work.
But the concert goers turn out regardless. So why NOT have a hit single to push the record??