The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango In The Night on vinyl - speed issue?

Hi guys,

This is a weird one. I've just got a copy of Tango In The Night on vinyl and, I can't think how to put this technically, but it all just sounds so much faster than the cd! It's not the speed of my player. It's particularly noticeable on Seven Wonders and Everywhere, it makes Chris's vocals sound clipped and a little rushed and higher pitch than I'm used to on the album.

Am I imagining things or is this how it's supposed to sound and it's just badly transferred to cd? It's really bugging me. Help!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Ledgie

Listening right now and I'm not hearing anything different. Sorry.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

does your record player have the blinky light thingys on the front where you can adjust the speed? I have found that record players that do not that that feature always have problems. They are set at the factory for 33 1/3 speed but cant take into account the density and weight of EVERY record out there. I have noticed on cheaper players my LIGHT (newer) crappy vinyl records dont play as well. When I used my better player with the adjustable speed settings I can make my records match pitch better.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for this. No, my record player can only be adjusted with the usual switch at the side between 33 and 45... This may be the reason...Oh well. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh NOOOOO!! MY copy of Bella Donna has the same issue! The 2 records it effects are Tango In The Night and Bella Donna! I don't believe it!! Not fair! Leather and Lace and How Still My Love do NOT sound right when they're just that little bit faster.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My record player will only adjust between 33 and 45, it's from the early 80's and both my copies of Bella Donna and my copy of TITN play just fine. Have you tried adding a little weight to the arm? Blu-tack and a 1p coin on the head usually works. Stops them skipping too.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep - tried that. The problem is that the stylus is so delicate that the slightest extra weight pushes it down a little too hard onto the record and effects the sound quality. No issues with skipping or the arm dragging at all. It's a cheap cd/radio/record player (looks great though, retro style!) and is actually really good for what I paid for it. and all other records play perfectly on it. I should add that there's no deterioration in sound quality at all on either of these albums, just that a couple of songs on each one play slightly faster and it's noticeable. Oh well, it's not a huge deal....

I do wish there was something I could do that would effect the sound quality but then again, you get what you pay for and it's 99% perfect!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
I do wish there was something I could do that would effect the sound quality
I have the solution!!!

Buy an iPod!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ha! I wondered who'd be the first to say this. I like vinyl though! I obviously have the cd copies so it's all fine. I'm only just starting to collect vinyl as it is. I'm building up my FM/Stevie collection. I still need a few more though...
Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

A-ha....we all know about their coke problems...but Tango was recorded on SPEED! THAT explains some of the tracks!!! LOL!! Sorry....just a little humor!