Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mirage Tour Stories

Just like the one for Tusk...if you want to see the Mac on the Mirage tour - tell us about it! Anything you can remember, really. How did you like the Mac at this stage? First time seeing the mac? Better or worse than before? Anything special or stand-out?

If you were lucky enough to see the Mac on the last tour that they REALLY rocked out on - please share your story.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

About six years ago, I bought something online from a guy who worked as crew on the 1982 tour. Enough time has passed that I figure it's OK to post some of the things he told me, so here goes.

There was seldom a dull moment with that bunch of characters. Imagine a group made up of two divorced couples and a total of 6 people (including Curry Grant) who basically didn't like each other but depended on one another for fame and fortune. John, who seldom drew a sober breath, was my good friend in all that. He and I would have a drink together most every show day at my workbox (aka Club 127), just before sound check. I would not ever provide the vodka and tonic, a tacit agreement that kept me out of the line of fire, but each day he would show up with a drink from the dressing room and I would mix one of the same for myself and join him. I never took to Christine and really never got too close. She seemed to be pretty much the embodiment of all that I abhor about the English. Cold fish.

The band hired a group of karate experts for their security. Five mindless thugs. John could never resist ****ing with the security goons. He would occasionally let them lead him up the stairs to the stage, but instead of walking out to his position for the start of the show, he would take a sharp right at the top of the stairs and walk along the edge of the stage with the guitar slung around his neck and his arms outstretched like a tightrope walker. The thugs would be ****ting themselves trying to get into position to catch him if he fell off the stage.

Stevie, the lovable clumsy cow that she is, would fall off the stage almost every time she would reach down to touch someone in the crowd. Lindsey spent most of his time with his head up his ass. Never did like him - way too self absorbed to suit me. Mick is almost too cool and too weird to describe. Him I liked.

I have to end this note. Remind me sometime to tell you about John walking into the door frame, and about Stevie's limo.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Stevie, the lovable clumsy cow that she is, would fall off the stage almost every time she would reach down to touch someone in the crowd. .
I wonder if that's because she couldn't see very well rather than being clumsy. Anyone who can dance in 5 inch platforms doesn't strike me as clumsy.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hard to imagine Stevie being called a "cow" in 1982...
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Agreed. The rest of the descriptions kinda fall into line with what has already been said but 1982 Stevie ain't no cow!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
To be fair, I often hear people calling thin women "you silly cow" etc, it has nothing really to do with their size, just stupid British insults really.
OH. Well, that makes more sense. I was trying to decide if cows are actually clumsy.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was trying to decide if cows are actually clumsy.
Wel, I was trying to decide if David is kidding or not in his post.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Kind of funny terminology for him to have used, although remember he was using it in circa 2000.

However, there WAS that reference (in a Creem magazine cover story on the Mac in 1982) to Stevie's singing at the 10.21.82 Forum show as being likened to a "bellowing steer with its leg caught in a grate."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Ledgie

The only Mirage story I have is that I BEGGED my parents to let me go see them at the Los Angeles Forum. It would have been my first concert. I was dying to hear "Empire State" live. Of course I know now that they didn't perform that song. But, I was only 13 and they said NO!!!!! They had previously said NO to the US Festival earlier in the year when the Mac played. I had to wait one more year before I got to go to my first concert in 1983.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1 View Post
The only Mirage story I have is that I BEGGED my parents to let me go see them at the Los Angeles Forum. It would have been my first concert. I was dying to hear "Empire State" live. Of course I know now that they didn't perform that song. But, I was only 13 and they said NO!!!!! They had previously said NO to the US Festival earlier in the year when the Mac played. I had to wait one more year before I got to go to my first concert in 1983.
I can say fleetwood mac was my first concert haha
sorry about not makin the mirage tour
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 PM
cbBen
This message has been deleted by cbBen. Reason: misunderstood the probable intended use of the word cow
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was at the EL Lay Forum shows that were taped for the Showtime concert special..the thing I remember most is when the super trouper spotlights were turned on the audience at the climax of SOTM..it was not my first FM show.That would be the Tusk tour which can never be topped IMHO.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure I've told this story before but here goes: One of my closest friends and I camped out for choice tickets for this show. We were the 2nd people in line for the Worcester Centrum (the Mac was the 2nd band to play ever at the new venue). I don't know if anyone has done it but camping out w a bunch of rabid Mac fans overnight was the best experience. We got 2nd row center seats for our efforts. The night of the show was awesome. We were like Right There. Towards the end when Stevie was doing her stage walk, the guys in front of us, who we had met that night camping out, were cool enough to allow us (there were three guys and three of us) to get up on their backs so we could be up close to the stage. I was closest to where Stevie was. And she reached over to shake my hand. Total eye contact, everything going on but I got scared at the last minute and pulled my hand away. She gave me a look like, What the Hell. The people around me turned to me and asked what was wrong with me. My friends, the guys, everyone was like, "what did you just do?" I felt a moron but I got nervous. Anyhow, we laugh about it to this day.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnightshade View Post
I'm sure I've told this story before but here goes: One of my closest friends and I camped out for choice tickets for this show. We were the 2nd people in line for the Worcester Centrum (the Mac was the 2nd band to play ever at the new venue). I don't know if anyone has done it but camping out w a bunch of rabid Mac fans overnight was the best experience. We got 2nd row center seats for our efforts. The night of the show was awesome. We were like Right There. Towards the end when Stevie was doing her stage walk, the guys in front of us, who we had met that night camping out, were cool enough to allow us (there were three guys and three of us) to get up on their backs so we could be up close to the stage. I was closest to where Stevie was. And she reached over to shake my hand. Total eye contact, everything going on but I got scared at the last minute and pulled my hand away. She gave me a look like, What the Hell. The people around me turned to me and asked what was wrong with me. My friends, the guys, everyone was like, "what did you just do?" I felt a moron but I got nervous. Anyhow, we laugh about it to this day.
I would LOVE to do that more than I can even really verbalize. Although the internet has given us countless opportunities, it has also stolen the value of experience. It's quite upsetting for the younger generations who will never really know a world without shortcuts.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
Just like the one for Tusk...if you want to see the Mac on the Mirage tour - tell us about it! Anything you can remember, really. How did you like the Mac at this stage? First time seeing the mac? Better or worse than before? Anything special or stand-out?

If you were lucky enough to see the Mac on the last tour that they REALLY rocked out on - please share your story.

^^^^ That's a Tusk photo

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
^^^^ That's a Tusk photo
I was worried about that! Looked like mirage at first (mick didn't change from 79 to 82, did he?) But I was looking at Stevie's hair after I posted it and thinking it suuure looked Tuskish. Same with Lindsey. Oh well, it is still a cool picture.