User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Actually, the term "Daddy" was often used by women in the 60's and 70's to refer to their partners. I think it was more along the lines of how they say a man always marries his mother, in other words, he looks for the traits of his mother in the women he's later attracted to. So I guess it would work for women who had been "Daddy's little girl" to grow up and look for the attributes of her father in the men they would be with.

In the gay scene there are often couples in which a younger guy dates an older guy and calls him "Daddy", not in an incestuous way but just in the way that the older man is a father figure to him.

Speaking of Christine's use of the word Daddy, she also uses it in Honey Hi where she sings "Daddy, all I'm trying to tell you".
Daddy'O
Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In a culture where Sylvia Plath can write a poem called "Daddy" about everyfather, everylover, everyman, Christine's gorgeous song is an amazing contribution to the archetypal "daddy" which is not, in this song, a literal father but a father figure: the girl seeking a father through her lover. Is it complex? Yes. Is it abnormal? No. This is one of Christine's most poignant, poetic songs. Saying it is about incestral rape is reducing the lyrics to a most brutal literalism. As the great writer Barry Lopez once said: "one's inability to read metaphor signals the death of the soul."

If I sound highfalutin' here, it's because this song moves me in ways so few songs do.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Saying it is about incestral rape is reducing the lyrics to a most brutal literalism. As the great writer Barry Lopez once said: "one's inability to read metaphor signals the death of the soul."
I was teasing by the way... . I have a twisted sense of humor that probably escapes most people. And when I think something I see is silly, I respond with equal absurdity .

For those who take what I say too literally instead of snickering at the metaphor: I adore this song... it's one of her deepest lyrical Mac contributions in my book. And one of her most beautiful songs to boot.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
Yes, I love this song. I remember Christine singing it on The Dance tour and it is extra special because of that last tour. And I love how Stevie and Lindsey come in and sing their parts, both on the record and live. The song makes me happy and it makes me sad at the same time whether it's studio or live.
Since The Dance wasn't brought to Europe, I didn't had the chance to heart it live. Does anyone has a recording? Would love to hear it.

On topic: I know the song is for/about Mick, with that knowledge (and since English is not my native tongue) I do not have any problems with the song or the lyrics...

Simply love it!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
On topic: I know the song is for/about Mick,
HOW do you know the song is about Mick??????

Because HE declared that, YEARS and YEARS AFTER it was recorded?

Mick's a self admitted drama queen, and none of the Rumours songs were about him, so he claimed OD as his. Only he wasn't the writer, to be able to make that claim!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Actually, the term "Daddy" was often used by women in the 60's and 70's to refer to their partners. I think it was more along the lines of how they say a man always marries his mother, in other words, he looks for the traits of his mother in the women he's later attracted to. So I guess it would work for women who had been "Daddy's little girl" to grow up and look for the attributes of her father in the men they would be with.

In the gay scene there are often couples in which a younger guy dates an older guy and calls him "Daddy", not in an incestuous way but just in the way that the older man is a father figure to him.

Speaking of Christine's use of the word Daddy, she also uses it in Honey Hi where she sings "Daddy, all I'm trying to tell you".
And there's also her famous Sugar Daddy.

Even when there's not a vast difference in age or authority between the partners, they sometimes refer to each other as "mommy" or "daddy." It often happens when they have children and when the toddler is learning to talk, to help them with words you might say, "give Daddy the spoon." Next thing you know, it's 20 years later and you're still calling your hubby, "Daddy!"

Ronald Reagan used to call Nancy, "mommy."

I don't think there's anything unusual it at all. It's common, but I also think it's creepy.

Michele
Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd heard Stevie refer to Lindsey as her "old man" back in the 1970's in some article or another. I would never refer to my man that way but I would not have a problem with the word "daddy."
Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4life View Post
I have a demo (I think) of this song. I got it from someone here on The Ledge. Anyway, it is my favorite version of the song. It's different than the actual studio version because the harmonies are so much more prominent. I wish I could remember more info.....I'll try to find it!

****I looked it up, and the "CD" is labeled "Staying True", anyway, this is the best version of the song I've heard!!****[/B][/B]
I think thats the version on Disc 2 of the Rumours Reissue.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always loved this song. I was thrilled when they played it live for the Dance. Second favorite Christine song with Fleetwood Mac -after, of course, Over My Head.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am absolutely certain there is no incestuous meaning in the song, and I'm mostly certain that it has nothing to do with Mick Fleetwood. Does anyone have the quote where Mick claimed it was about him?

Christine's musical origins were in the blues, and the term "daddy" is routinely used by women blues singers to their lovers. Bessie Smith, a great blues singer of the '20s, had a song called "Oh Daddy." You can look it up.

I believe that Christine uses the term "daddy" in this song in the way the old time blues singers did, and the same way a male singer might say "mama" to mean a lover. There's nothing creepy about it whatsoever. In fact, the term gives the song an old-time, authentic, adult emotional feel.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And don't forget, she loves her "Sugar Daddy," too.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I am absolutely certain there is no incestuous meaning in the song, and I'm mostly certain that it has nothing to do with Mick Fleetwood. Does anyone have the quote where Mick claimed it was about him?
Although I think I may also have seen it elsewhere, I definitely remember it from the Making of Rumours DVD.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

I believe that Christine uses the term "daddy" in this song in the way the old time blues singers did, and the same way a male singer might say "mama" to mean a lover. There's nothing creepy about it whatsoever. In fact, the term gives the song an old-time, authentic, adult emotional feel.
I don't think the fact that there's a long tradition of women calling their lovers "daddy" means its any less creepy -- or incestuous for that matter. In fact, the historical use of the term is why I don't like it. Many times the use of "daddy" denotes a relationship where the man is in an authoritative, powerful position which he misuses to emotionally and sometimes physically abuse the woman. This was the theme of many of those old time blues songs. He's "daddy" because he takes care of the woman when he's in a good mood and punishes her when he's in a bad one. While the feelings that he has for her are not paternal, the control he wields is. The woman who sings about her "daddy" often does so to the tune of lyrics that place her in the weaker, dependent position. The childlike dependence she had on her father (or that she longed to have on an absent father) is transferred to her lover in a way that may be healthy, but is sure doesn't sound like it is in the songs.

Of course, the endearment is all right for Christine, who led a life which far removes her from such stereotypes, but I don't like the connotations.

Of course, "daddy" is great in certain contexts. I very much enjoy beat me daddy eight to the bar. Still, even there, I hear a plea for corporal punishment that could be viewed as pervy.

Michele
Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 AM
HomerMcvie
This message has been deleted by HomerMcvie.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I very much enjoy beat me daddy eight to the bar
Ditto.

(Can I hear a what what for the Andrews Sisters? )
Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
And don't forget, she loves her "Sugar Daddy," too.
Jeepers, what is this? Pick on Christine's lyrics week?

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr